Manga japanese or american manga?

Discussion in 'Manga and Anime' started by Hitokiri_Battou, Feb 18, 2003.

1. Hitokiri_Battou

Hitokiri_Battou New Member

dou prefer american of japanese manga? i prefer japanese

2. Thin Yume

Thin Yume New Member

well actually i prefer both. I like the illustrations and the storylines.

3. Sachiko

Sachiko happy SMJ shoujo ^_^

I've never actually own the original Japanese mangas before. I think both will be fine as long as they're Japanese anime ^^

4. Odin

Odin Member

Do you mean, English translations of manga or raw Japanese manga? (sorry, wording wasn't clear to me. But that's okay)

I can't read Japanese at all, so I of course prefer my manga in English. While some companies can make blatant translation errors and such, there's really nothing I can do about that since I don't intend to become fluent in Japanese anytime soon.
    -Odin

5. Inu-Girl

Inu-Girl New Member

Japanese all the way. Since the wording of things (jokes,conversations) seem to sound better. And accents and kuchiguses sound more smooth/natural when read outloud.

6. kibu

kibu Member

i think they are both good as long as good story and style.

7. Teddz

Teddz Sexy Swedish Love ♥

I prefer both actually...They are nearly the same though....

But it also depends on what language you know :D

I'm learning japanese and Latin now :)

8. VM1070

VM1070 Let's Go Voltron Force

I would have to say both as well. There are many of each that I would say are my favorites.

I am just a comic junkie......:glazed: :dizzy2:

9. DrunkLeprachaun

DrunkLeprachaun Tetsu Oushi

YOAU AER ALL SO SO FAEK!!!!!!! I DONT BY AMEICAN STUFF CAS IT:S FAK!!!!! YOU SOUHOULD ALL DIE!"!!!! YOU AAER TEH FAAEK!!!!!
    That said, I prefer manga to comics. Don't read comics hardly at all.

10. Stos

Stos New Member

How do you guys read the japanese mangas? Can you guys actually read japanese? Or do you go to a website that has translated it for you? If so, doesn't that get annoying and confusing looking at a computer for the translation and than looking back at the manga?
    Well those are the reason I buy the american mangas. I do not think I will ever be able to read japanese.

11. my sister is startin to learn how to speak japanese...i wanna learn how to write and speak it so that i can translate the anime myself dog it:anger2:

12. Nephilim_X

Nephilim_X New Member

Ugh have fun, it can be a real pain in the arse.

Havent done it with Japanese myself but theres been a couple times where I've had to translate stuff... sometimes it can be a real *****.

13. Hitokiri_Gensai

Hitokiri_Gensai Gunslinger Girl

i started this thread but my account froze so at any rate heres my new account name. i can read japanese and write it so i prefer japanese manga besides its cheaper to buy and much more worth it because the original format is used and the sound effects are all still there so yeah

14. kyrie

kyrie New Member

well, if i could read Japanese then I'd prefer those but seeing as i can' t well then i guess it English. I prefer it's not flipped though. I like reading the book from right to left.

15. Stos

Stos New Member

Yea I would have to agree with you kyrie. I do not like how Tokyopop translates the mangas, but still has the images in the original japanese reading direction (right to left). But you are still reading the text in the bubbles from left to right. I would just prefer everything from left to right, like everything else I read is.

Edit: fixed the left to right things after reading Shadowbard's post. Thanks for pointing that out for me.

16. Shadowbard

Shadowbard Black-Winged Angel

*blinkblink* I think you got your directions mixed up, Stos. Japanese is read from right to left, top to bottom. English is read from left to right, top to bottom. ^_^

That said, I must say that I prefer my manga untranslated, unflipped, and otherwise unaltered. For one thing, untranslated manga is cheaper than the translated graphic novels, so I get more for my money. For another thing, I'm in the process of learning Japanese, so for most of the manga I own I'm able to understand roughly two-thirds of it from reading the Japanese, and I get most of the rest from looking at the pictures.

If I do read manga with a translation, I'll have the printed translation in one hand and the volume of manga in the other. Then I'll look at the manga first, read it, and go to the translation afterwards. It's good practice, and it isn't that much harder than reading a regular book.

Of course, if I'm borrowing stuff, I'll take what I can get. I've only ever read translated Ranma, for example.

So yeah, long-winded answer for a fairly straightforward question.

~Shadrach Anki

17. Rebos

Rebos New Member

Hi! Rebos here...

Just one question are talkin about the language in the manga or the illustrator?:confused:
    If its about the picture in it then I say: Japanese manga rocks! (But I like Adam Warrens Dirty Pair too...)
    :anime:

18. Hitokiri_Gensai

Hitokiri_Gensai Gunslinger Girl

the language...

19. Inu-Girl

Inu-Girl New Member

In Japanese of course how else would my grandpa & aunt (who lives in Japan) send his sweet little niece mangas? I also really like the covers on the Japanese mangas. And reading mangas is really helping me read Japanses novels. Currently I'm attepting to read the Japanese version of Harry Potter. (It's really sad last year it took me about a hour to read one manga, now it takes more like ten min.)

20. Phalanx

Phalanx Long Live M2A!

I have to side with the Japaniese manga. The American comics are too big and floppy and I easily bend them up. The smaller versions by Tokyopop are great because they are long, small and I love that right to left reading (threww me off quite a bit when i read my first one). I can't speak japaniese nor read it so i'm glad that they are translated into english.