Martial Arts Kendo

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Jaken, Sep 18, 2004.

1. Jaken

Jaken Coin Locker Baby

Who plays it? Likes it? ect.

I thinks its an awesome sport. And I wanted to know if its really that much popular outside of Japan? I watch it on some Asian channel all the time. Its great.

2. Takamatsu_

Takamatsu_ New Member

i dont think there are many schools in america, but i cant say for europe.
    most sword arts in america are sold as extra additions to hand to hand arts.
    i dont do kendo, but i do practice kenjutsu quite a bit. i use shinai when i spar, but the art is still different.

3. kamikaze

kamikaze New Member

what kenjutsu school do you practice
    takamatsu-san?

fokuro shinai desu ka?

4. Takamatsu_

Takamatsu_ New Member

i believe it is several. i practice bujinkan budo taijutsu, and it is made up of 9 schools, none of which are entirely kenjutsu. i can only assume it comes from 2 or more of those schools. "ninja biken" is what it is sometimes called. it includes iai and fencing elements, it has every style of japanese sword represented, and it is practiced with endless varieties of other weapons, naginata, kusarigama, kunai, and yari being some of the main ones.

and i dunno what fokuro means. sorry lol

5. kamikaze

kamikaze New Member

ah i see :D
    anata wa ninja desu ne :)

wow thats a lot of weapons work

a fokuro shinai is a bamboo sword wrapped by leather used by Yagyu Shinkage Ryu Kenjutsu..less painful than the kendo shinai.

6. Takamatsu_

Takamatsu_ New Member

ah ok no i just use the standard shinai. i used to use normal wooden sticks, but my hands kept geting hurt, so i switched to shinai

7. channel7

channel7 New Member

How do you make a shinai similar to the one at Buin Designs

Hello, Does any one know how to make a Aikido Shinai like to one that is at www.bujindesign.com?

Let me know or tell where you think there is a website might have this information.

Thanks

8. Paranoid Trooper

Paranoid Trooper Reanimator

I'm in kendo, although I just started. I like it, although it's not what I thought it would be like.

The difference in what I thought it would be like is in the footwork. I thought it wouldn't have as much footwork as it actually has, but it's good that footwork's important in kendo.

9. Hajime Saitou

Hajime Saitou New Member

I like watching my friends and other people practice kendo, its real cool. I actually use several forms of Ninjutsu, its cool, but I think after I finish up my Ninjutsu stuff I will switch to kendo, it looks cool and seems you can get alot out of it. I already know some basic stuff, and equipment, etc. I just need to take it to broaden my education. It looks fun, and I know I will stick to it, even if it becomes difficult.

Later :cool:

10. Red_butterfly

Red_butterfly New Member

Hi! I practise the Kendo in Paris! I love it to. The trouble is this sports is very expensive! :eek:

11. Hitokiri_Gensai

Hitokiri_Gensai Gunslinger Girl

Ive practiced Kenjutsu and Iaijutsu for 10 years now. its a hobby, passion, and a lifestyle for me. Everyday i practice atleast 1 hour, 2 if i can. I study Kenjutsu from a strictly practical standpoint, however, i study Shinkage Ryuu Iai and Mugai Ryuu Iai. Its a somewhat expensive art and not something that is practiced by many people as its "out of date". ive invested well over 8000 into this in swords, practice weapons, proper uniforms, and other such needed accessories. i find it extremely rewarding as an artform.

12. Keiichi

Keiichi New Member

The truth is that I'm going to start practicing kendo the next week and I'm so excited about this! I've allways liked this Sport and i think I'll do fine! If it isn't much bother, could someone who practices it give me some newbie advice? many thanks in advance

13. Hitokiri_Gensai

well...firstly, be polite to your sensei! Japanese are always polite, and kendo is a completely formalized art. so, always be courteous and polite.

secondly, no matter what you think you know, forget it all. Your teacher knows much more than you do and trust him when they explains things. Plus preconcieves notions (i.e how to properly grip a sword) are usually wrong. especially if youve learned it from a tv show or anime or something.

thirdly, have fun, but remember, this art takes a lot of concentration and patience. you cant become a master overnight. To actually become a Hanshi you have to have a minimum of 30 (it may be more i kinda forget right now ^_^x;;;) years of training and must be over 55 years of age.

fourthly, you have to have disipline. obviously, once youve learned some sword work you have a considerable amount of power at your hands. you have to restrain yourself from using it on someone else. YOU CAN KILL SOMEONE WITH A BOKKEN!.

Fifthly, Respect for your swords is huge. The Japanese Sword is an unparalleled style of sword. its been developed for more than 1000 years. The Samurai considered the Nihontou to be their soul, an unforgettable part of their being. It was and still is considered by many to be a living extension of their being. Even if the first sword you buy is simply a Shinai, you must have complete respect for it. its not a toy, its not just a stick but an weapon of unparalleled beauty and functionality.

Sixthly (is that even a word?), this is a physically challenging sport so dont be discouraged if your lacking in the begining. training and dedication will bring you very far.

Seventhly (now i know thats not a word), you dont have to have a background in the martial arts. Kendo is an art all its own and the footwork and hand movements are taught within the course. however, it never hurts to learn some other martial art at the same time such as Karate or Aikido.

thats all i got for now, if you want more info or tips PM and ill help you the best i can.

14. Saikira

Saikira New Member

I am also starting Kendo soon. I've always been in love with what my brothers call the "warrior arts". (Translation:my bros think I'm a tomboy because I like Martial Arts.)

15. Hitokiri_Gensai

its a very rewarding art. Actually, in the early parts of Japanese Culture, the women were trained in the same arts as the men and would ride into battle with them...so...really your upholding a legacy.

16. Nightmare

Nightmare Chaos Rules

hmm im trying to find kendo training i have some martial arts background not whole lot but a little and dont comment me on this but my martial arts is Tae Kwon Do had karate first but the school moved and gave up on Tae Kwon Do it was just to easy i wanted somthing with more of a challenge so im trying to find a Kendo school or somthing thats a lot harder i like to sweat my blood out its in exspession as in i like to feel like I achieved somthing.

17. Hitokiri_Gensai

Tae Kwon Do is a Korean Art and really has no ties to Kendo or Kenjutsu but its never hurts to have any background in any martial art.

Kendo dojo's may be hard to find no matter where you live, but always check a dojo's credentials before enrolling. The USKF has a webpage that has information on all the dojos licensed by them in the US. so always check with them.

18. Nightmare

Nightmare Chaos Rules

Ill make sure to do that thanks

19. Hitokiri_Gensai

absolutely, if you have any other questions about Kendo, Kenjutsu, Iaido, Iaijutsu, Nihontou anything like that just ask.

20. Keiichi

Keiichi New Member

Many thanks Hitokiri Gensai I'll have in mind all your advices when I'll start, I'll try my best too! :eek: