Martial Arts Kendo

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Jaken, Sep 18, 2004.

1. SteamedRice

SteamedRice New Member

There's nothing wrong with a girl finding an interest in Martial Arts.. Well I think girls should be more involve in it.. I'd love to have a sparring session with a girl someday :D

1 person likes this.
  2. Hitokiri_Gensai

Hitokiri_Gensai Gunslinger Girl

skill with the sword is not limited by gender. i knew this one girl once who was a close friend of mine and extremely skilled with the sword. everyday wed have sparring sessions and i can tell you that i didnt always win. she had a knowledge of the sword that was incredible. every step and movement she made was perfect. She was an amazing swordswoman.

3. Nightmare

Nightmare Chaos Rules

Very true gender has nothing to do with martial arts or swordmanship and how i know this is ive done a sparring session with a female martial artist didn't want to hurt her so i was a lot less agressive with her she took it as and insult i ended up on the floor gasping for air from one of her kicks man i wish i could remember her name.

4. Hitohiro

Hitohiro Angel of Wind

lol, sorry to hear it man. i practice kenjutsu, have been for a couple months, though with my schedule, im lucky to get 30 minutes. i also study the mu gai ryuu. a very demanding ryuu. i study alone though i want to join classes with Darrell Max Craig, the author of the book im studying from and an excellent swordsman. my father says i need another martial arts before i take that na dyet he has not signed me up for any classes. so i've decided when i turn 16, i will pay for my own lessons. and yes, its very expensive but well worth it. i use a bokken and a ninhontou to practice with. i only use shinai with sparring.

5. Takamatsu1986E

Takamatsu1986E New Member

one thing i noticed you saying, was that taekwon do was too easy... i agree with what you probably mean but not with what you actually said. there is no such thing as an "easy" martial art. some arts take less time to get the hang of, but you can always get better no matter what. you can always be working harder, sweating more, and coming home with more bruises, even if you practice an art with only one strike in it.

What you may have MEANT is that the school kinda hands out belts, doesnt push you, and has one or 2 reasonably skilled students who are waaay ahead of the rest. am i correct?
    i ran through a tkd dojo like that once. they tend to be pretty common in tkd schools, not because the art is lacking anything, but because it just happens to be the mainstream art at the moment

either way... kendo may help if you can find a dojo.. just google your city name and kendo together. also try Iaido and kenjustsu, or bujinkan if youre interested in learning a wider spectrum of stuff... bujinkan teachers usually wont push you that hard, but you have to earn every stitch of your belts. (my experience, probably wrong where you live lol)

6. yakamashi

yakamashi New Member

nyaa! ^__^ kendo is pretty cool... i wanted to take lessons of it, but now i'm starting naginata. :p so boring...

7. Hitokiri_Gensai

Naginata boring!? its an incredible weapon and is extremely fast in the right hands.

8. Katsumushi

Katsumushi New Member

Wow Hitokiri Gensai, you're very experienced in swordmanship i see.
    I practise iaido myself (Muso Shinden Ryu), but im still mudan cuz i started about 9 months ago.
    But a question: many people also call iaido iaijutsu or battojutsu, ive even seen sites mentioning that, but some also say is iaijtusu something different and older than iaido. Which of this is true?

9. Hitokiri_Gensai

Well, as you probably know, iaido is the means "the way of iai". Its a martial art based upon solo practice. iaijutsu is "The techniques of iai" its only variation is that you practice cutting from iai instead of just solo practice. Iai was started as a break off from Kenjutsu about 500 years ago in an attempt to be able to defend from a point when the sword still in its scabbard. Thats why a majority of the techniques start from a sitting position. The samurai realized that they could be attacked while sitting and talking, so they began to devise ways to counter from a sitting position, thus Iai was started. However, iaido is about solo practice and imagining your opponent. Iaijutsu, practice the more killing aspects of the art. The techniques are more or less the same obviously depending on the school, but they practice tameshigiri on tatami mats like kenjutsu and shinkendo. Like Kenjutsu, its roots remain tied in the phrase "Kenjutsu wa Satsujinjutsu" which translates to say "Kenjutsu is the art of killing". Its basicly unchanged from its roots in the early part of the 1500's.

Battoujutsu is simply another name for Iai as far as i can tell from my research. Battoujutsu means "Sword drawing techniques", Which makes a little more sense than Iai which means to sit. However as i stated before, Iaido was for defending from a sitting position, or atleast a majority of the techniques start from seiza.