Video Games Knights of the old republic!

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by The_bounty_fry, Jul 23, 2003.

1. The_bounty_fry

The_bounty_fry New Member

Jeez what a great game, i got it and it was amazing, i chosed the dark side, this game is on top right now, do any of you beg to differ ?:D

2. ~ Zack ~

~ Zack ~ Guest

I never was a fan of Star Wars games, most of them never really got my attention. But I recently saw a commercial for this game on TV and wow. I'm definitely going to have to check this one out (after I steal my brother's X-Box that is, of course. Not like he uses it or anything :p ).

3. BakaMattSu

BakaMattSu ^__^
    Staff Member

Of course I've been exposed to this title, since I spent a lot of time on the BioWare boards anticipating the release of the Neverwinter Nights expansion.

It definately looks like it's something, but I'll wait out the PC release, myself. NOt an Xbox owner, nor do I plan to be.

4. VM1070

VM1070 Let's Go Voltron Force

Do they plan on releasing this game for the PS2 or will it only be an Xbox title???

Vic

5. BakaMattSu

BakaMattSu ^__^
    Staff Member

BioWare has it slated for a PC release later this year, but the only console development has been for Xbox, no PS2 shouts out.

Not surprising, considering that their next currently unveiled project has them partnering buddy to buddy with Microsoft.

6. Novus

Novus Gone

Isn't this the D20 Star Wars system?

A friend of mine recently bought this game, then called me up to call me a nerf herder. That sithspawn piece of bantha dung!

Anyway, I heard it's good. The commercial at first made me think it was a movie, because I saw it during a preview at a movie theatre.

7. BakaMattSu

BakaMattSu ^__^
    Staff Member

Yeah, it's based on the d20 system, but BioWare made a few creative changes - the biggest one being with force powers. They created a seperate mana-type pool for them, that regenerates, rather than the d20's drain from your stamina/health. That way you can freely use the force without worrying about killing yourself. :p

It's also built on an upgraded Aurora engine (the engine that NWN runs on), so it should be nice to see what upgrades they've done to it...once it hits PC, of course.

KotoR has received praise and acclaim from several online game review sites. I haven't yet seen one give it under a 9/10.

8. The_bounty_fry

Baka the upgrades are pretty kewl, your force powers level up as well as your character, i should know, i have it.

9. Novus

Novus Gone

Really, in the original d20 version, you can't "kill yourself" because you only take damage to your vitality points, not your wound points.

10. The_bounty_fry

yea the system is a little different but most of it is like seeing double, great fighting system by the way

11. BakaMattSu

BakaMattSu ^__^
    Staff Member

My mistake. Never actually played the d20 game, and what I remembered reading on the Bio forums came out wrong.

12. Sieghardt

Sieghardt Man With the Machine Gun

This game is very cool, especially the duels. Pazaak is confusing though. Youc an use rifles, blasters, grenades, mines, lightsabers, sword, and equip yourself with different armor, pick locks, use stealth kills, and upgrade your abilities.

13. -Anubis-

-Anubis- New Member

I play it on the X-BOX this game has everything you could possibly wish for in a game good story,sound,gameplay, and graphics and SWOOP RACES!!!!!!!!!!!

14. SpaceCowboy

SpaceCowboy New Member

This game is really great but if you want to stick with blasters which ive wanted to on occasion your screwed. Hail Big Z.

15. Novus

Novus Gone

Of course. Blasters will always get blown away by lightsabers. If you know what you're doing, anyway. I take it this game lets you deflect blaster bolts?

16. BakaMattSu

BakaMattSu ^__^
    Staff Member

Blaster Bolt Deflection is a Jedi Feat that is automatically active and rolls against attacks while you're lightsaber equipped.

Fairly far into this game, now - scooped up the PC version on release day. Of course I shelved it as soon as Hordes of the Underdark came out, but it's still a great game. Will have to go back and finish it fairly soon, methinks.

It is heavily slanted towards close combat, though. With blasters so common, I would have thought they would be more useful than they are. But being able to close in in a few strides to deal a lot more damage per blow with a vibroblade really is less of a pain then switching weapons when you get pulled into close combat.

17. Shen

Shen Indefinately away

Unfortunetly bioware didn't finish testing this game on all systems, so the odd one or two will have problems running the game. I being one of them :( The patch came out shortly after that... but that didn't solve the problem. Why keep a game which doesn't work... off it goes for a refund, got H&D2 as a result <---- A pretty fine game I have to say.

It's a shame, KOTOR was one of my most anticipated games.

^Shen^

18. Shen

Shen Indefinately away

There are 9 potential characters that can join your party, with Lucy Skywalker being the main character (me thinks...). The other nine include 'Bastila, Canderous, Carth, HK-47 (A robot), Jolee, Juhani, Mission, T3-M4 (Similar robot to R2-D2), and Zaalbar (looks like Chewbacca). And I think the others with no details are humans. So no, no playablr Fetts. anyhow this game is set 4000 years before episode 1, so don't expect any familar faces in the game. Lucy Skywalker may be Luke's ancestor?

^Shen^

19. TheSonOfBattles

TheSonOfBattles New Member

There's no character called Lucy Skywalker, and you can in a sense play as a Fett. Boba and Jango Fett wear Mandalorian armour. This is the armour of a space farin war like people called the Mandalours, and one of the character s you pick up is a Mandalore by the name of Canderous. You can equip him in the same armour, and equip him with guns as well.