Movies lord of the ring's poll whos better gimli or legolas?

Discussion in 'Movies and Television' started by vash the stampede, Jun 7, 2004.

?

whos better,cooler,ect.gimli or legolas

1. GIMLI.awesome

8 vote(s)
    40.0%
  2. legolas.panzy

12 vote(s)
    60.0%
  1. wing_goddess

wing_goddess Power User

i don't think that's true. i've never heard about that. I think it's the same dude that played as Dumdledore in the third HP movie who's going to be in the fourth. Do you know where your brother got his info from?

2. Desolated Neko

Desolated Neko New Member

3. Dante

Dante New Member

4. Desolated Neko

:shy: Ok...alittle misunderstanding. :sweat2: -Apologizes-

5. chiquitabanana

chiquitabanana finally legal

6. Desolated Neko

7. wing_goddess

wing_goddess Power User

Well, that thing is from two years ago. and it says that Sir Ian whatever would be taking the late Richard Harris' spot as Dumbledore in the third film. 2 years has past and the third film came out and obviously it isn't true. I don't even trust that site in providing true stories...looks more of the rumour type. i can tell you from now, he ain't gonna be Dumbledore for the fourth film either.

note: heh, in my last post i said Gandalf where i meant Dumbledore...i fixed it though...but just letting the people know that i've confused:p

8. vash the stampede

vash the stampede New Member

i agree with phalanx id rather have armor and strength.

:dizzy2: i thought ian mkellan did play as magneto and gandalf are you sure amon.

i havnt read the books of lord of the rings but i have seen the movies and the cartoon movies but correction to takamatsu: gimli can ride a horse on two towers he rides a horse he just needs help getting up onto one.

to wing godess- reasons i like gimli ok here's why he has axe's wich i think are very nice choice of weapons,his personality.his giant beard looks cool,he's strong,and his accent makes him sound cool.enough reason for me.i know i have thanked every body like 6 times :anime:

thanx for voting.just kidding :anime:

9. Izzy

Izzy moo. moo. moo!
    Staff Member

My personal vote goes to Legolas. Both from experience with the books and the movies.

Depending on WHERE they're fighting, the advantage of either race is easily nullified.

Elves are in touch with nature, as you can continuously read about elven folk running silently yet amazingly swiftly in the forests and even see Legolas standing ON the snow while climbing mountains. They're mobile, able to fight in nearly any weathered condition. Then there's the fact that Elven (damn, I almost keep writing Elvaan....damned Final Fantasy XI) enchanted items are much more usable and prominent in the trilogy.

The cloaks that conceal you so much, it nears invisibility. The ration-food that lasts for days. The lighter looking armor. Sting. Etc.

However, Dwarves know how to be industrious. In the caverns, it's almost certain that dwarves will hold the advantage over elves. Not only are the elves' natural abilities rendered moot, but there could be spaces small enough that only dwarves are capable of fighting efffectively in. Plus, you really don't ever just see an dwarf give up easily.

Anyway, my vote goes to Legolas and Elves in general.

10. Phalanx

Phalanx Long Live M2A!

Concerning Izzy's comment on enchanted items, I would just like to say that those too are nullified by the Dwarves' metallurgy skills. While it is not magical, their armor and weapondry can be equivilant to magical items (it seems like the old magic vrs. science bit). Let's not forget that Mithril Silver is a property of the Dwarves and was only given out as gifts. Also, in "The Hobbit", before the Battle of Five armies, I remember a part about the Wood Elves discussing the arrow-resistance capabilities of the armor the Dwarves of the Iron Hills had. Unfortunatly, the coming of the Goblins disrupted their quarrel.

I would have to say, that in the open, it is a matter of skill that would determine the outcome of a Dwarf vrs. Elf fight. Both are on equal terms. As Izzy pointed out, both have properties that would offset each other. Forests are obviously the domain of Elves, the caverns belong to the Dwarves; but a plain is moderate for either.

On a side note, I didn't quite like that Gimile was made the goof of the movies (gad, it felt like he was to me).

11. vash the stampede

you both have very good points but lets not get in to any argeuments here ok :sweat2: i dont want my thread to get banned :anime: .

12. slasherdariuken

slasherdariuken New Member

nuh uh! gimli is way cooler than legolas cause of his cool rob zombie-like beard. gimli rocks big time dudes!

1 person likes this.
  13. vash the stampede

thank you slasher darakakaratokentaska gimli is awesome :anime: i need more people like you on this thread yeah. :anime:

14. mangamonkey

mangamonkey New Member

Legolas is (i believe but may be wrong) a wood elf - the lowest of the elven races

Gimli is a direct cousin to a dwarfen king (or at least leader)

In the story the two have a competition to see how many opponents they can kill, by the end of the second book gimli is winning (it was in the movie also, but interestingly it was cut from the cinema edition - it was in the directors cut version though. Probably because the way the scene was written made legolas look like an idiot)

Flash fact: tolkien himself said that legolas was the one person from the original fellowship to accomplish least after the final events of the story.

That's why i vote Gimli - he already has bested legolas

(again i may be wrong about the first two things i wrote here - feel free to correct me, it's been a while since i read the book)

15. KaYasha

KaYasha I'm Boelak Yrubron

Legolas plain and simple.!.

16. Genghis Khan

Genghis Khan New Member

I voted for Legolas . . . even though Gimli is absolutely awesome, Legolas has a certain . . . air about him. Not that I'm a swooning fangirl. It's just, in an emergency situation, Gimli has to have this tough-guy banter, while Legolas is usually RIGHT THERE in the middle of it. I don't know if this is always true, though . . . have to go re-read the books . . .

Also, we could always use more elves to make MORE rings and restart the whole darn mess up again . . . :p