Saber Marionette Lynx, Looks or Luchs?

Discussion in 'Manga and Anime' started by Chibi Meg, May 23, 2002.

1. MamiyaOtaru

MamiyaOtaru President Bushman

Herzlichen Dank für die hilfreiche deutsche Lektion :) Und da ich es noch nicht gesagt hab, wilkommen Kapitanbar!

Yeah, thank our wonderful fansubbers for Tiga and Panta :) still, they do better than those 'professional' dubbers blarg

2. kapitanbar

kapitanbar Member

Bitte, bitte, und danke Für Ihre wörten. Ich kann sehr wenig Deutsch sprechen, wenn ich keine andere in der nähe kenne, das es sprechen kann.

About fansubbers, they do their work with passion, rather than a simple interest in getting paid. Professional translators were good, (remember the Flintstones, several other hanna-barber'as toons, the Simpsons). But now they do it as if they were making cars in japan. One "translated" episode per minute :glazed:

the origin of the names Lime, Cherry and Bloodberry is better. They were the first words they came to Akahori's mind (always according to what's written everywere about it on the internet). It's not very uncommon, for a guy that designed a whole series (bakuretsu hunters) in a single night.

3. Black Robed One

Black Robed One New Member

As Sachiko and MamiyaOtaru rightly noted before, “Luchs” is German word for Lynx. As about “Looks”, the transcription for German Luchs is [Luks] i.e. it sounds exactly Looks.

4. axron27

axron27 New Member

As a student of military history, I am quite familiar with the PZKWII Luchs\Lynx recon tank. I believe the Saber Dolls - Gartlant is obviously German style -, are probably named after WWII German panzers/tanks, The Panthers and Tigers were hard hitters, like Tiger and Panther. The Panzer II Lynx\luchs was a light scout tank, that in it's application, like lynx, resembled the stalking characteristics of the wildcat it was named after. I prefer the English word Lynx because that was the first name that I knew for both the tank and the SMJ character. That ynx ending looks funky too lol.

5. Reisti Skalchaste

Reisti Skalchaste New Member

Shall we go with the simple explanation? In the official limited edition ultimate dvd collection (J, J Again, and J to X), she is always called "Luchs."

Of course, in the translated manga by Tokyopop, she is referred to as "Lynx," but I think I speak for most when I say that the anime has precedence over the manga.

I think we can dismiss "Looks" and "Lucks" altogether.

So there's your answer. It's a matter of personal opinion. Don't mess with my knowledge of Saber Marionette J, you'll get burned... no, wait, you'll get NAPALMED!

1 person likes this.
  6. BakaMattSu

BakaMattSu ^__^
    Staff Member

Well, you can't dismiss Lucks, at least. The playstation Battle Sabers game uses that spelling for her as c0ke pointed out above. That means there are actually 3(!) official ways to spell her name based on what has been released.

Of course, Luchs is the most widely accepted version. It should be interchangeable with the translated Lynx, though - after all, how many fans refer to Lime as "Raimu"? The sheer disappointment of Battle Sabers is testament enough to the origin of Lucks, but it is still coming from an official source, so is a valid name for her.