manga or anime?

Discussion in 'Rurouni Kenshin' started by me_dreaming_zzz, Nov 7, 2003.

1. me_dreaming_zzz

me_dreaming_zzz ¯\(º_o)/¯

Hey guys, dont u think that Rurouni Kenshin manga is more interesting and entertaining then anime? I dont know why, but i found anime not as good... And the fact that Kenshin has red hair and purple eyes doesnt make him look japanese at all! Back then there was no contact lenses or hair colouring products. Well, anyway, what do u guys think?

2. Hitokiri_Gensai

Hitokiri_Gensai Gunslinger Girl

well in the manga he still has red hair...and steel blue eyes...the manga i found much better which is why i had the whole series imported from japan...one thing about the manga that i found to be superior is that the detail is much better than the anime well atleast the TV series "Rurouni Kenshin: Meiji Kenkaku Romantan" the OVA "Tsukiohen and Seishouhen" were very detailed. the manga was also a bit more graphic and more swears were in it than the anime but thats mainly because little children are more eager to watch an anime than to read a manga...one thing about the manga tho is that it uses a very old style of reading and speaking...

3. me_dreaming_zzz

yeah the swearing kinda makes it, doesnt it? the thing is it wasnt desidned 4 little children^_^ however, on the cover of the first manga volume kenshin has blonde hair, but on the cover of the second volume he has red hair:confused:
    i just wonder, how long it takes to read and translate all 28 volumes in japanese. u must really like this manga then, anyway, good luck with translating!! ^_^

4. Hitokiri_Gensai

you may be reading the american version...the japanese version he has red hair...

actually i read and speak the language so thats why i have it in japanese...

5. Okita

Okita New Member

I personally prefer the manga over the anime, although I greatly enjoy both.
    The instance I feel most intensly about is when Kenshin says goodbye to Kaoru. I felt such emotion when reading the manga, and expected it to be good in the anime, especially if they employ music well. But I didn't get the same feeling watching the anime...I suspect because they went through it too quickly; I read the manga slowly and re-read a few parts before finishing, but the anime did went through it too fast and the music wasn't good enough (there's such emotion in the Tsiokuhen OVA music...if only they had Iwasaki Taku compose the series too...).

But I didn't know, or forgot, that Kenshin had blue eyes in the manga...interesting...

6. Hitokiri_Gensai

well they tried to squeeze a 28 tankoban series into a measly 95 episodes...which is very hard to do as well as the fact that they didnt really finish the series acorrding to the manga they did up until the Kyoto Arc. then they made some 30 "filler episodes"...which kind of annoyed me...

7. UFOtaku

UFOtaku Wachu loorkin at?!

I... HATE... THE... SERIES!

^_^ Probably because I was spoiled by the greatness of the manga, since I read it before I saw the series.Though, I generally prefer manga over anime, so I'm a bit biased.

However, the series failed to capture the essence of Kenshin's character, I believe, and in general, the whole series. It was a complete failure, because that incredible inspiring feeling you get from the manga, hardly shows up in the series. It wasn't a bad series... but until you've read the manga, you can't call yourself a full kenshin fan.

Samurai X, on teh other hand, was an amazing piece of work. Beautiful artwork, timed words, and a nice glossy finish. The characters and story flowed well together, a fine compliment and asset to it's lovely manga.

8. Hitokiri_Gensai

it honestly wasnt as good as it could have been...

9. Sanosuke

Sanosuke New Member

I also personally own the 28 Japanese Rurouni Kenshin Manga (I bought them while in Tokyo, Japan) -- and concur, the TV anime kinda has a lot of fillers there. I enjoy reading the manga and it seems to set the story straight off the bat a lot better than the anime attempts to do, but then what can you say in the entire time span of an episode that you can't do with a manga? :)

Sanosuke!
    Return to Japan - Spring 2004

10. me_dreaming_zzz

so happy that so many ppl actually agreed that manga is better than anime ^_^
    however it would be interesting to hear someone with another point of view. so, IS THERE SOMEONE IN THIS FORUM WHO THINKS THAT ANIME IS BETTER THAN MANGA?!?!?!?! oh well, if not then not.....^_^

11. Hitokiri_Gensai

well its not that the anime is bad just not as good as the manga...

12. UFOtaku

UFOtaku Wachu loorkin at?!

Yeah, you have to admit to some extent every anime is golden... cuz seeing your favorite characters from a manga moving and speaking is like seeing Tolkein's characters come to life in the LOTR movies. ^_^ It dosen't matter if they better- it's just a cool thing to see. You have to give it that.

13. Hitokiri_Gensai

quite true and thw voice actors as well as the music selected for the anime were awesome...there were some good episodes...some amazing episodes...some episodes...and some that just plain out sucked...

14. Duke of Wolfe

Duke of Wolfe New Member

For me, the manga is way better. I like books over tv anyhow, but, I like the way the manga explains things differently. "Oro?"

15. Hitokiri_Gensai

i wouldnt call it different as much as maybe more...correct? or perhaps, more direct?

16. Duke of Wolfe

Duke of Wolfe New Member

Actually...Yeah, that's excactly what I meant to say. Much more and, yes, more directly.

17. Hitokiri_Gensai

and the manga is also how Watsuki-Sensei had meant it to be...so...

18. thunder dragon

thunder dragon dragon king

and also the art of the manga is better than the anime ,and Kenshin's voice in the anime sucks..
    i have the complete manga and i like it more than the anime.

19. Hitokiri_Gensai

That all depends on your point of veiw...also im wondering which voice you mean that sucks? as there is a japanese seiyuu and an american one...

20. Chibi Sango

Chibi Sango New Member

i like the anime better 'cuz the only ones that i read so far weren't that funny, there were funny but not that funny. My favorite part on the anime would be when kenshin runs in on koaru while she's taking a bath. lol. :anime: