Anime Manga Stuff

Discussion in 'Manga and Anime' started by tobiwan, Feb 6, 2001.

1. tobiwan

tobiwan Guest

Anyone know any good sites for Manga type
    stuff?

2. Shinji

Shinji New Member

Clearly you mean anime. Manga is the name of a particular company who translated some particularly trasy anime. In Japanese, it means "comics", not anything animated. Just FYI [​IMG]

Start at www.anipike.com - there's plenty of info out there [​IMG]

3. Genius

Genius Guest

Anyone got any recommendations for good anime videos to rent out ?

4. Ninja Scrolls, Akira, Dominion Tank Police, Devil Man, Ghost In The Shell, AD Police, Wicked City, Patlabor I/ II, Project AKO, Street Fighter II, 3x3 eyes.

All class.

That is a very small collection of the anime available in Ireland. Head to Forbidden Planet to buy a few. They have loads.

5. Sico

Sico Guest

EVA

6. Dead{o}Santa

Dead{o}Santa Guest

7. Grand_Izer

Grand_Izer Guest

Eva & the earlier Tenchi Muyo vids are classic.

8. darthmise

darthmise Guest

Some of these may have been mentioned already but off the top of my head:-

Vampire Hunter D, Well worth a look.
    Devil Man,
    Macross Plus,
    Guyver (theres about 12 of them)
    Pat Labor

9. bugs

bugs Guest

Oh god stop the madness, 3x3 eyes ???
    What the hell , its bloody awful and the collection thats in forbidden planet is terrible.
    My advice , get a DVD/VCD player and start buying online.
    Sorceress stabber orphen , berserk , spriggan , princess mononoke , evangelion , ******* , generator gawl , ghost in the shell , akira ( subbed ) , giant robo ( for stupidness )

So many good animes that never even see the light of day over here. What a terrible waste.

10. Chubby

Chubby Guest

If you're sick of cyberpunk or futuristic or demons with big tenticles, you might wannt look at animes by Hayao Miyazaki. He's the creator if Mononoke Hime and his other work includes Nausicaa of the Valley of the Wind, Laputa: the Castle in the Sky, My Neighbour Totoro, Kiki's Delivery Service, Porco Rosso etc. All excellent films. Can't think of anything else by him.

[Editor: Check out the book by Helen McCarthy on Miyazaki.]

Another really excellent film, probably one of the best anti-war movies is "Grave of the Fireflies". Saw this years ago, can't remember who made it.

11. Shinji

Shinji New Member

Grave of the Fireflies is another Studio Ghibli production (Ghibli being Miyzaki-san's studio) and Miyzaki-san had some input into it, although he didn't direct it. God it's depressing [​IMG]

12. Chubby

Chubby Guest

Heeh I know. Show it to girls, it's garanteed to make them cry [​IMG]

13. a question for ye:
    i saw some anime ,on channel 4 i think , where there were 4 criminals forced to work for the police or they'd detonate some special collars they were wearing. anyone know the name of this ?
    cheers
    rogue

14. Hecate

Hecate New Member

cyber city oedo 808? (phew, what a mouthfull)

15. LoLth

LoLth Guest

yep, Oedo 808 it is.

there are three criminals

Were there only three episodes of this?

oh, nad Benten's a puff! Even compared to other anime lady-like boys (goyoken or something like that)...

16. bugs

bugs Guest

http://www.sasavcd.com , they do pretty much large chunks of cantonese stuff , nothing in english but how and ever.

17. Bard

Bard Guest

I watched an episode of Dominion: Tank Police last night and jeez, it was awful crap. I hope it's not a good example of the quality of the rest of Manga... not very compelling if so.

BTW, - what did anyone think of the Manga/Animé version of Street Fighter?

18. Grand_Izer

Grand_Izer Guest

Its better than most of the other game to anime conversions. Don't ever watch Tekken tho, i have the misfortune of owning a copy [​IMG]

19. bugs

bugs Guest

Dominion was written by masamune shirow , probably his worst effort , the comics are bordering on funny but the anime is crap, this from the man who did ghost in the shell , appleseed , black magic......
    Tekken , even tho i'm a disciple of the game is dire , its done in the same animation style as dragonball , ie. crap , i'm guessing its done by the same guys.

Get rurouni kenshin OAV , or samurai X as its called over here for some unknown reason.
    4 episodes and as far as i'm concerned the best anime i've ever seen.