Manga Manga vs. Anime - Which is "Better?"

Discussion in 'Manga and Anime' started by Genghis Khan, Jun 14, 2004.

1. Genghis Khan

Genghis Khan New Member

Are mangas "better" or "worse" than animes? Please give explainations.

Personally, I think they are generally better. You get to see the artist's first thoughts, and they are also (generally) more detailed.

2. sakana

sakana New Member

It can be hard to compare beautiful pictures versus beautiful animation but-

I love reading manga. You can take the time to slowly read and view the artwork.You see the character's thoughts, sweat drops- you can visualise their anxiety. When they're embarassed, a paint of something that can be related to them shows up, like candy or cookies. When they fall, there's a bandage. Those times when a header calls' Skill Level 10' for a good athlete, and 'Skill Level 0' for one who fails. A little arrow pointing at something is fun too- a character searches for something, an arrow points where it is, and a header or a l'il animal thing goes' Heading wrong way' as the character heads off in the wrong direction. Sparkly circles, nicely placed borders..There's a lot to be said for manga.

In anime, the characters are voiced, songs are made, and it's real fun to hear someone's character theme. Sakura Tange acted really well as the voice actor in 'Card Captor Sakura',putting all the Sakura-ness into little words like ho-e!; carrying surprise, fear, suspense.. all in one word. It's nice to see a character moving around, especially with well-drawn scenery that draws the eye to the right places. Music coming on during sad scenes or reflecting earlier times is a nice addition also. Characters have their sweatdrops and such also still.

And evermore to be said about both, I suppose.
    [Sorry..]

3. tascha

tascha New Member

Anime is way better because you get to hear the characters voices and the action and is much better in movement! :anime:

4. Izzy

Izzy moo. moo. moo!
    Staff Member

It really depends. I mean, all series have their charm whether in anime or manga form.

What I think gives manga form a much better edge is that a budget isn't exactly as strict as it would be in an anime. Also, the art can be a bit more detailed. Although manga is mostly in black and white, and there's no actual movement, most everything is left to your imagination. It's also easier not to get so lost in manga, as it's much easier to flip the page back to where you got lost in the first place. It's cheaper to own. etc.

Anime, you can actually see those characters move. You can relate (sometimes) more because you can see how they react, and how they were meant to react.

The main draw I can see for manga is that there's less limits on what you can do. You can't just put whatever you want, no matter how lenient Japan is on what they put on the air. They still have rules. Manga, however, is much more freeform. You can really put whatever you want in them. Blood, gore, sex, whatever. It's more free to be what is was meant to be. Anime, well, you have restrictions. Manga does too, I guess, but anime much more so.

I can see a distinct balance between the two. It really depends on the series. Tenjou Tenge, Kare Kano and Love Hina are much better in manga form. I liked Evangelion's manga, but the anime supercedes it. Azumanga Daioh's two iterations are on equal standing. Ranma 1/2's as well. Naruto does a rather good job of staying close to the manga.

But, for me, like I said, it really depends on the series.

5. wing_goddess

wing_goddess Power User

I would choose anime over manga anytime. After i watch a good anime then i try and get a hold of the manga so i can read it and see what wasn't shown in the series since it can leave out some interesting facts at times.

6. Shen

Shen Indefinately away

In one simple short answer, if you are lazy, then anime is better than manga. If not, both can be enjoyable in their own ways. Anime being more interactive and colourful and manga being more detailed and lengthy in story. In a sense, anime gets 2 votes compared to the 1 from manga, and also, I'm sure that sound and motion pictures gets the upperhand to books in most cases. So anime I must say.

- Shen

7. tascha

tascha New Member

I understand where people are coming from when they say manga is better then anime but personally I prefer anime because you can actually hear the characters talking and when you hear them talk I think you get to know them better.Even the action and the romance is more interative then manga. On top of it all I'm to lazy to read :blush:

THE blood and every thing is not blanked out in inuyasha anime at all because when ever I see the show It is full of blood!Of course the
    sex/nude parts is blanked out but if you download it sometimes it is not and sometimes in manga it is blanked out too and besides are u really looking forword to the nude parts? Anyways manga is good to but I prefer anime.

8. Takamatsu_

Takamatsu_ New Member

well, i actually like the movement better in manga, because i dunno about you, but if someone does something that obviously would never work at all, it bothers me. i cant get into it.(big magic stuff or superhuman accuracy or speed doesnt count. i mean like a backflip kick knocking someone out while they just stand there:bleed2:.) while in manga, i can see it in any way i want. the timing fits, the speed fits, and the little details all fall into place to make it belivable. if an animator tries to make something work, they sometimes get it, but if they dont, it just messes things up.

9. Kos-Mos

Kos-Mos New Member

I think they both have good qualities.
    Anime has more character development than some mangas, use sailor moon for example.
    The only characters that really developed in the plot were bunny, Mamoru, Chibiusa, Neptune, Uranus, and Hutaru. (In the Manga.
    While in the Anime. Almost every character received in-depth development on their past, what might be their feature, ECT.

But in the manga, you get a whole lot more plotting, and more action. You know, the kind of thing that makes you not want to put the book down. And it was much more serious, as well.
    And the anime, at least the dubbed version, seemed to be alot more for kids.

In my opinion, I enjoyed the Sailor moon Manga, and pretty much any other manga (besides the DBZ manga, yuck) better than the anime. Though there are some exceptions.

10. Hypnosis

Hypnosis New Member

I'm going to have to say that anime is better because i like to hear all the different types of music and the way the ladies giggle (hee hee). But in a weird way the comedy in manga is more funnier than in anime.

11. tascha

tascha New Member

Before I liked anime better than manga but now peoples are making good points about manga being more funnier etc. o_O

12. Shinji_Ikari2k4

Shinji_Ikari2k4 New Member

this is a really tricky question both have good points and bad points.

But i think the storyline has the key if there is a lot happening or a lot of movement such as starships or large amounts of vehicles then anime wins big time.

However if you want cuteness and comedy or a nice well paced plot line with characters that come straight from the artist.

But my decision was made by akira i watched the anime and it was good so i bought the manga oh my god so much was missed out from this historic script i was horrified so sorry anime lovers, manga wins for 3 reasons ...

akira
    love hina
    and demon diary :)

13. Evergreen Sleep

Evergreen Sleep New Member

Do I have to pick one over the other?

I like both, reason being, most times the manga hold more details and more to the story itself versus the anime. Another plus about mangas is the fact that the art is much more vivid.

The animated versions of the mangas... let's see... well the characters are obviously animated so that's good. Sometimes, things are added new into the anime that do not appear in the manga (or vice versa) and you get to see all the action, the characters' personalities and voices come through easier, etc.

See.

I can't chose just one over the other. It has to be both. All anime and manga are created equal XD

14. Spiggy

Spiggy Freak of Nature

which is better?

neither. i like both :D

15. Reisti Skalchaste

Reisti Skalchaste New Member

Some people prefer anime to manga, others manga to anime. To further complicate things, it's possible to prefer manga for some series, and anime for another. For example, I prefer the Excel Saga manga over the anime, but I much prefer the Saber Marionette J anime to the manga. So, it depends not only on personal preference, but the series as well.

Put simply, it's a matter of opinion. What you like is what you like. If you prefer manga to anime, then so be it. That's your opinion. If it's the other way around, then, again, it's your opinion. There's no true way someone can say "Anime is better, PERIOD!" or "Manga is better, PERIOD!" because they would simply be stating their opinion.

This question cannot be answered for everyone by one person. Each person must answer for themselves.

Personally, I tend to prefer anime to manga, although there are some manga series I prefer to their anime equivalents.

16. thunder dragon

thunder dragon dragon king

manga

anime is good but I prefer the manga because theirs more information and details that’s not mentioned in the anime.

17. Yuuki Miaka

Yuuki Miaka New Member

I can't pick one over the other. I enjoy anime cause you can hear their voices and it's more colorful but in Manga the art is beutiful and it goes into way more detail.

18. toeskater91

toeskater91 New Member

i prefer manga over anime.

reason #1: you get to see the story exactly as the creator wrote it.

reason #2: you actually know how the characters names are spelled.

reason #3: it is unedited and uncensored so you the whole story.

my three reasons.

19. Izzy

Izzy moo. moo. moo!
    Staff Member

That really depends, doesn't it? Was the manga created first? Or was the anime?

In general, a lot of anime were created from a different medium like an original dojin, or a manga, or a video game.

Cowboy Bebop, for example, was created as an anime before the manga sequels came out. Then RahXephon, which also did.

Then Onegai Twins, Ranma 1/2, Love Hina. Those came as manga first.

Now, it's definitely easy to say that whatever came FIRST usually turns out better for the market. As far as manga/anime releases.

20. Kain

Kain Plaything of Doom

I guess one factor to include is which one you seen first. If you read the manga and then watch the anime then your going to start noticing differences and parts that they missed in the manga. On the other hand if you watched the anime and then read the manga you may feel like there's to much attention to the characters and you'll also be wondering why the story has gone off in a slightly different direction. This can be very confusing espessally if the manga has a different story line to the anime (e.g. Martian Successor Nadesico) which can leave you totally confused.
    The only time that i was just as happy with a manga after watching the anime was the Evangelion manga. Although i think that was done after the end of the anime and it was gone by one of the people who worked on the anime. It stayed true to the story in the anime and it also added in a few nice bits that weren't in the anime (like when Shinji stuck his fingers up Toji's nose :D, whis that was put in the anime).

Personally i prefer ther longer story with more attention to character that the manga's give you.