Manga Most ppl here prefer anime over manga?

Discussion in 'Manga and Anime' started by Suzu, Nov 8, 2001.

1. Suzu

Suzu 7th Seat Shinigami

I don't see a lot of post in the manga section, if you compare it to the anime section. I'm wondering if you guys watch anime more than manga... *lost interest in manga??? *

I guess that the reason might be either that it's hard to get manga comics, or not alot of people here like to read manga...

I confess that I watch anime more than reading manga; but my reason is basically "I can't find english transulated manga."

what's wrong? [​IMG]

2. Ardis

Ardis New Member

Speaking for my self I have not lost interest in manga, however I know not of any place that sells manga translated into English. Due to this I only have a few Rurouni Kenshin mangas on my hard drive, that are in English.

3. Yuna

Yuna New Member

Yeah I agree with Ardis... It's hard to find comic books here!!

4. That guy!

That guy! Expecting Father

I have a few manga scans on the hard drive, although I don't exactly have any income at the moment... so I can't buy any manga's [​IMG]

So I pretty much watch mostly fansubbed anime and stuff...

5. BakaMattSu

BakaMattSu ^__^
    Staff Member

I agree on the subject that good Manga can be hard to find (as well as expensive too...) Just have a select few scanned series (Rurouni Kenshin, DNA^2, and Ranma 1/2...)

BakaMangaSu...

6. Suzu

Suzu 7th Seat Shinigami

Which is more expensive, a manga book, a anime VHS, anime DVD?
    I see them in this order from most to least
    1.DVD
    2.VHS
    3.Manga

is there a site where there are sum scans?

7. UrashimaKeitaro

UrashimaKeitaro Sesquipedalian Mod

well, I'm big into manga, I'm collecting untranslated manga at the moment, Love Hina first, not sure what next. I just kinda figured there was no one to talk to in here

-UK

8. BakaMattSu

BakaMattSu ^__^
    Staff Member

Sure, an individual tape or dvd can cost more than a single volume of manga, but they do cover a lot more story in that time frame (and I do go colorblind after a few hours of manga reading...)

Still, I do like manga a lot, but finding good translations is hard to do...

And I'd even go as far to do what groups sites do (scan retouches), however, I can't make heads or tails of any symbols...

There are about a dozen series I'd go after, if I found a translation first... raw just doens't do it for me [​IMG]

BakaMattSu, changes face, and admits he was colorblind to begin with...

9. That guy!

That guy! Expecting Father

I think it's cool how you have to read them from back to front also. Although I hate how the translated 'Dark Horse Comics' manga are from front to back, it takes away the fun [​IMG]

The only manga I own is volume four of Star Wars, Return of the Jedi.... which is translated atnd costed like 20 bucks.

10. mouw

mouw Guest

i like manga more then anime because its cheeper and i can look at it anytime or anywhere i want.

try the graphic novel sections at book stores( i like boaders) they have manga most of time

11. YokoburiKinura

Hey Keitaro, I guess there's always Evangelion, Silent Möbius, and Kenshin to talk about. We're not talking as much about the 'How to Draw Manga books as much as we used to. Oh, almost forgot Oh! My Goddess and the stuff in Super Manga Blast! Just wish I could get more issues. The first episode of Seraphic Feather really wierded me out. After Silent Möbius it's time for Dark Angel or Steam Detectives, I think. Oh, my volume 4 of Möbius has come in, I'm finally about up to the 'real' Kia Asamiya style.

So, it's not that there's a lack of enthusiasm. You're right, Skuld, we gotta revitalize this place.

12. Zei

Zei New Member

Yeah i agree there not much interest here would be nice to see more but....
    anyways i have a boat load of US published manga but i dont read it, i just put in a box out of the way (probably why i dont read it [​IMG])
    I do have a lot of manga scans about 1.3Gb to be precise which are as follows
    Angelic Layer 1-3
    Berserk (Various - only a few)
    Breman 1.1 - 2.7 (16 Chapters this about rock music and kicking ass [​IMG])
    Excel Saga 1.1 - 2.2 (9 Chapters)
    I's 1-62 72-143
    Love Hina 1-49
    Naruto 1.1 - 9.1 (73 chapters this is about ninjas and is currently my fave)
    Rurouni Kenshin 1-90 130-220 243-249 + 255
    Samurai Deeper Kyo 1-2 (seems to be like trigun with samurai swords [​IMG])
    Sirius Scars 1.1 - 2.7 (13 chapters, this is like B.A Alita)

the majority i got from http://www.noated.com/msearch/

[This message has been edited by Zei (edited 12-05-2001).]

13. *Fabee*

*Fabee* Retired

Hey thanx Zei for the link [​IMG]
    I prefer Manga because it has more opporitunity to express emotions and understand the writer or illustrator's goal
    but the sad thing is manga is expensive while the tapes or DVD's could be rented,,,
    so my reason for prefering Anime over Manga is a financial reason

14. Energizer Bunny

Energizer Bunny i wuv you

well see i like manga a lot and wish i could have more but there are NO stores but one around me that sell manga and therefore they charge a LOT for one manga...grrrr its annoying and i cant exactly order online since i have no credit cards lol not that anime is bad but manga kinda lasts longer and stuff and i can spread my love of manga and anime in more places lol since i dont carry a vcr or dvd player in my purse anywho
    thats my response ^-^

------------------
    Spread the Sunshine!!~theBunny~^-^

15. Lady Aoi

Lady Aoi Princess of Shirataki

I agree with you guys. Manga is expensive, untranslated and often difficult to find, especially if you live in the middle of Nowhere like I do (we have one store downtown which sells a few untranslated volumes of Miyazaki's stuff and Love Hina, I think, and that's about all)

Here are the manga I have:

English Translation: A little Battle Angel Alita, The first two volumes of Fushigi Yugi and all the Utena I'm collecting in AnimericaExtra.

Non-translated: WeiB Kreuz vol. one, the first five volumes of BASTARD!!, pretty much all of HEN and Saber Marionette J, one or two yaoi manga #^_^#.

~ Lady Aoi

16. Ciel

Ciel Unoa Freak
    Staff Member

Heck.. why not post! I agree! There are stores round here that sell translated manga, but its usually off of animes I don't really have an interest or have the money to collect.

I went to Toronto hoping to get some Valkyrie Profile and Violinist of Hameln mangas and they were all out!! arrr.

so far I only have three volumes of V of H. very funny stuff...
    where V of H is concerned, I prefer the manga slightly more..

17. UrashimaKeitaro

The Violinist of Hameln manga is quite different from the anime.. is it not? From what I understand, the Hameln movie is closer to the Manga than the anime.. that may interest you.

-UK
    -------------
    Just a fountain of useless trivia

18. MamiyaOtaru

MamiyaOtaru President Bushman

The stuff is just harder to find.. I like it though. I have some, all of it is scanned though.
    DNA^2, Ranma 1/2, FLCL (just the first) Excel Saga, Love Hina.. I think that's it

There is a mangaviewer for all but FLCL. Makes my reading of them a lot more pleasant :) [/shameless self promotion]

The differences between the anime and the manga are fun to look at. 24 (or so) eps Love Hina covered 8 volumes, while later stuff like the spring special covered a whole volume. Yet, it did not seem like it was missing much from the manga, so was there just a lot of filler in the original episodes?

And how about the FLCL manga for looking completely different than the anime.. I loved how cleanly drawn the anime was, and the manga looked almost scribbled at times. It works, but whoa

19. UrashimaKeitaro

'Drawn' is such a strange term to apply to the FLCL anime... I know it was all handled on computers... but just how did they handle it? I happen to think that both have their definate appealing factors. I may go ahead and order FLCL manga as well sometime...
    Never mind that I'm already hungering after many other Manga and Anime series... it may be time for me to try to find a market I can do some small reselling in. :grin:

-UK

20. Suzu

Suzu 7th Seat Shinigami

WHHHHHHAAAAAAAAATT!!!!

Valkyrie Profile was trasulated?! :eek:

I think there is an online shop that trasulate and sells transulated anime, like gravitation and Weiz Cruez. Not to mention that they had a lot of chinese manga and stuff...

I thought I saw ROse of versialles manga there, too bad I lost the link. Hopefully my memory would return to me to and guide me to the page. All I remeber that it wasn't a nicely automated yahoo shopping like system service...

Can we really trust every onlineshop is the question?

What manga needs is two factors: a low price and trasulation!