Manga Most ppl here prefer anime over manga?

Discussion in 'Manga and Anime' started by Suzu, Nov 8, 2001.

1. Aya Nekoneko

Aya Nekoneko New Member

I love manga... a lot more than anime. I'll admit that I've lost quite a bit of interest in anime a I began to get more and more involved in the wonderful world of manga. I have a lot of manga... and I do mean... a lot. I enjoy buying manga, it's definitely a hobby of mine. :p In the beginning, I bought English translated manga because I didn't know where to just buy raw Japanese (or even Korean translated at that) manga, but after I found a bookstore that specialized in Asian books (i.e., for me... manga), I just said "to hell with English translated, they're too frickin expensive", and settled on the very nicely priced-taged $3-$5 each tankoubon manga (the Japanese/Korean/Chinese ones have nice dust-jackets as well XD ). ^____^

2. Suzu

Suzu 7th Seat Shinigami

Maybe I should follow your footsteps!

Yeah! Since manga is hard to find and the transulated manga is soo expensive, I'll start getting japenese, chinese, koren etc. manga. I'll get myself a disctionary, and start working hard to trasulating as well as learning japenese!!! I'm with Aya Nekoneko.:D :)

3. UrashimaKeitaro

UrashimaKeitaro Sesquipedalian Mod

It's a hobby I've gotten myself into recently (read, last several months) It's very rewarding, but a bit difficult to start with for some people.

-UK

4. Aya Nekoneko

Aya Nekoneko New Member

Yea, Skuld-chan! XD Do ya have an anime/manga store near you that sells original Japanese manga??? That's a nice place to start (definitely). ^_____^; It's kinda bad if you can't speak Japanese due to the pesky little thing "language barrier", but translations can be found on the net (for most popular manga series anyway; something by CLAMP, usually peeps already translate it and post the translations on their sites). I think the quality of the Japanese tankoubon are WAY better than their NA counterpart's anyway, plus they're cheaper. Way. Like you can buy around 6 raw Japanese (imported) for the price of one translated English manga. That's nuts... but I aint complaining. *huggles her manga :p *

My new little manga search is for CLAMP's Chobits; sadly, it's kinda difficult to find, especially the first press ones which come with a little gift (even though it's more expensive than the normal present-less Chobits >.>; )

5. Suzu

Suzu 7th Seat Shinigami

Heh, um, well yea, but I can't understand the language

:)Yea, there are a couple manga stores near me... ofcourse there is this language barrier XB . I'm going to take courses maybe in either Japanese or Chinese, which might solve this prob. :dizzy2:
    :) However, I'm motivated already. 6 mangas fer the bloody price of one. Wow! That's a great treat, especially after learning a new language. [DREAM MODE]*~ @.@ I wanna learn ~*[/DREAM MODE]

6. Yasuko

Yasuko I beg your pudding?

Oh not, not necessarily. In most cases, I like manga more because it's better than the anime and you can sit down and read it whenever you feel like it... I like both manga and anime equally!

7. Mac

Mac New Member

Well I prefer manga, yeh i do, yep,yeh.

8. UFOtaku

UFOtaku Wachu loorkin at?!

I personally like manga better than anime. Just like you can't judge a book by it's movie. :p Take Rurouni Kenshin for example... the manga was MUCH better.

Around here, though, I can find tons of tokyopop manga... but teh only anime is the occasional Akira/Spirited away movies at walmart... since we don't have any anime shops here.

I always download my anime from the internet, and it's much easier to find netwise (though not easier to get...), so I guess that's why...

9. UmiRyuuzaki45

UmiRyuuzaki45 New Member

I really don't mind prices. The cheapest manga I have is $10. The most expensive is $15. I guess I could get the original tankouban's but I wouldn't know where. As far as wether I like it more or not. I like them both the same. Although I do read more manga than watch anime.

10. Yasuko

Yasuko I beg your pudding?

Ah, trust me there's a lot of manga more than 15 bucks. Most of Tokyopop's is $10, but if you buy the big books (usually Viz, which sucks because it's not right to left) or some other manga publisher, it's more. Some the Oh! My goddess manga is 18 dollars, etc.

11. Yonaki

Yonaki New Member

I think I got a couple manga in Vietnamese. Yep, a few. Gotta get more. The English one I got a lot. I usually buy them every month.

Do I like anime more than manga? I'm not sure. I think I like them both equal and I'll give my reasons too.

~Good Thing~

Manga:
    1. Whenever I read a manga, it feel like I'm the heroine in the manga. You know the main girl. ^^

Anime:
    1. It's fun to watch. Nuff said.

~Bad Thing~

The price.

The cheapest I got is $8 or $9 doller and the most expensive is $16.

12. Miko

Miko New Member

i like them equally. my pet peeve is that the anime usually has filler episodes that dont coencide with the manga. (have seen this in inuyasha and sailor moon) most of the manga i buy is tokyopop or viz. and i have to say viz is really more expensive than tokyopop. while tokyo manga is only about $10, ive seen viz stuff or around $15!!

13. Shadowbard

Shadowbard Black-Winged Angel

Well, I like both anime and manga equally. However, since I don't buy translated manga I often have very little to contribute to those discussions.

Untranslated manga, depending on where you buy it, isn't that expensive. The most expensive thing I have is probably Saiyuki RELOAD vol. 2, followed by Wish, and that's because they are oversized volumes with full-color pages in the front.

Yes, anime has filler episodes. Sometimes you get really stupid filler, other times it's pretty good filler. The Inuyasha filler, for example, is quite good. And if you want to talk about filler....entire second half of the Saiyuki anime (minus a few episodes) is filler. It has a story, and it's a good story, but not nearly as good as the manga....

I guess one of the reasons I really like manga is because usually things are better explained. Downside is you don't get the pretty colors, music, and voices with the manga. These things happen.

~Shadrach Anki

14. sasuke_aoshi

sasuke_aoshi New Member

I think of manga ad anime the same way I think of a boook/movie.

At any given time, most people would prefer watching the movie (the anime), since it is easier, faster, and more relaxing.

But reading the book (manga) is better, since it allows the imagination to act. Even though the pictures show everything, the motion among the panels is dependant on the person, and each person has a different idea of what happens.

I personally prefer reading manga. It is, in my opinion, the "real" thing, since it is what the author wrote. It also allows the reader to imagine some things by themselves, without being offered everything on a silver plate by the animators.

Of course, anime is absolutely great. I just *prefer* the manga.

15. Chi

Chi New Member

I like manga better because you get more of the story. Anime is good but most of the time it's not as good as the manga. So I tend to read manga more than watch anime. Also I have a thing for monchrome ever since I started to draw so that helps as well.

16. femme_fatale

femme_fatale New Member

This is a tough one.

I usually like manga better, since a lot of anime series based on manga finish before the manga, and the endings tend to be not as great. Sometimes the manga is downright better than the anime in every department.

However, I have seen quite a few good anime series based on manga, and some that follow the manga quite faithfully. King of Bandit JING is an excellent example, and the anime improves upon the character designs of the manga. Fruits Basket is a good one too, and though it misses some characters from the manga and has the "manga didn't end yet" ending, it is still a fun watch.

Overall, though, I prefer manga, if only because things can be lost when a series is turned into an animation.

17. Star Princess

Star Princess Haters are retarded.

I watch anime a lot, but I love manga too, especially the Sailor Moon manga. When I see something in the anime version I don't like, I read the manga.

18. Salamander

Salamander New Member

It depends. DBZ is better as a manga and RuroKen is better as an anime in my opinion. Mangas aren't as easy to download than animes so I usually prefer animes.

19. The Jackal

The Jackal New Member

I deffinately prefer manga. I do watch some things as anime, like Mahou Tsukai Tai & Utena.
    Iv'e always kinda prefered reading :shy3:

20. ZakoSoldier

ZakoSoldier Zeon Commander

Actually for me it depends on the series
    Yu Yu Haukusho Manga > Anime
    Yu Gi Oh Manga > Anime
    DBZ Manga<Anime