Japanese Need Something Translated?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by UFOtaku, May 28, 2003.

?

Do you speak Japanese?

1. Anata wa Nihon-go ga dekimasu ka?

12 vote(s)
    24.0%
  2. Nope.

2 vote(s)
    4.0%
  3. A little...

14 vote(s)
    28.0%
  4. I want to learn!

22 vote(s)
    44.0%
  1. Ryurisano

Ryurisano New Member

Hiya everybody :3 Um...I thought I'd drop by and and put some of my uh...japanese insight... :sweat2: Actually I just stumbled across this thread because I was searching on the web XD Ah wellz, I'm new here so yeah *waves*

The angel thing >> It's rather tenshi, mitsukai, or enzeru. Most commonly used is tenshi, so yeah ^^;
    The shut up thing >> As stated before, it can be urusai which actually means noisy -but if stressed to an extent, can be used as "shut up". Other ways are demare, damatte-yo, shizuka, Kuchi ni chakku, Butsu butsu iwanai-de [f], Butsu butsu iu-na & Monku bakkari iu-nayo [m]. The longer ones are ruder [to the point of where it means 'quit your b@#$%^& etc.] and 'yo' does not have to added as it's just a exclamation mark...
    The wolf thing >> This I'm not really sure of, but I think it's ookami or even oukami [no offence to people think that its okami]. Here's my point -kami means god, deity, or shinto spirit thing; so adding an 'o' would just mean giving it an honorific status like saying 'oneesan' or 'otousan'. Get it?

Anyways...hoped I helped somehow... ^^; bai bai! :sweat:

2. fluffyofthewind

fluffyofthewind New Member

how do you say "i know". like if someone says she is your sister, then you would say "i know". i would like it if someone could tell me.

3. Hitokiri_Gensai

Hitokiri_Gensai Gunslinger Girl

wakarimasu means "I understand" and Wakarimasen means "I Dont understand"

4. 1orion8

1orion8 New Member

Baka

Does baka mean stupid or idiot. I'm not sure but my friend told me that it can mean both those words.

5. mayumi

mayumi New Member

I have a quick question, I hope someone can answer!^^;; Does anyone know what "Mukashi no hanashi" translates to? I was reading the hiragana..so I think that is how it is written..^^;; Can it translate to "An Ancient tale"? Help me, please! ;___;~

6. Hitokiri_Gensai

hmmmm....well it kind of depends on the Kanji...so...but i think it translates to something close to "Talk of the old days" so an Ancient Tale wouldnt be too far off...

7. UrashimaKeitaro

UrashimaKeitaro Sesquipedalian Mod

For mukashi banashi (which uses the kanji you would find in mukashi no hanashi.. the only difference being the 'no' in the middle) the translation I use most of the time (of course depending on circumstance and surrounding context) is folklore. Hopes this helps!

-UK

8. kitty-ko

kitty-ko New Member

Hi everyone! K this might be a bit weird, but could someone translate this for me?
    "Watashi no ai wa yama yori okides."
    It's saying something about love, I know that much. Please help I really need to know!

9. Angel from hell

Angel from hell New Member

Well upon one interesting convo on Msn i came across a word that didnt show up in a japenese > English online dictionary thing... dont suppose anyone knows what

ittai!

Means?

10. Shattered Rayn

Shattered Rayn New Member

*hits self over head for not knowing japanese*
    How would you say 'Japan rules!' ?
    Oh yeah. And is there a way to say 'caves of ice' ?
    Thanks for any help! :catgirl:

11. Hitokiri_Gensai

itai! means "ouch" its somewhat slang if i remember correctly...so it might not show up in a dictionary...

12. Angel from hell

Angel from hell New Member

Cheers ^_^ that bit of the convo makes sense now... she kinda kicked something in frustration & i wasnt sure if it was an exclamation of pain or a death proclaimation upon sed object :sweat2:

13. MrPig

MrPig New Member

Not quite Ms. Japanese sensei ^^

urayamashii means jealous in a "vengeful i wanna kill you" kinda way. Not sure of the correct word, but i know ive been told that the word urayamashii is firstly not used by japanese people and secondly carries and awful lot more weight behind it than its english counterpart.

"Watashi no ai wa yama yori okides." - kitty-ko, that means "my love is bigger than a mountain"

Itai is a basic adjective. Means "pain" or some such. It has all the basic adjectival tenses as well.
    "itasugisoukatta" means "to look like it hurt too much". Try breaking that one down! :bleed2:

14. UrashimaKeitaro

UrashimaKeitaro Sesquipedalian Mod

Urayamashii, depending on the tone of voice can have the lesser context of jealosy, I hear it used all the time like that by native speakers, in fact, more often than I hear it used in a stronger context.

-UK

15. MrPig

MrPig New Member

Really?

Oh well :sweat2: my manager told me that the literal (sort of?) meaning is "vengeful spirit"... so i tend to stay away from using it cause you (by that, i mean me :p) never really know how it'll be taken.

just asked my friend (english too) and he says you can also use something like "shitto bukai" (although he's not sure thats correct!). Feel free to chastise our incorrect-ness :shy:

16. Saiyan ChiChi

Saiyan ChiChi New Member

I know a few words in Japanese. I would like to learn more though.

17. MrPig

MrPig New Member

Sore de... ?

hehe, gimme a few words you think you might need! I presume every anime fan knows the words "baka" and "sugoi" (can be said "sugei" depending on dialect); stupid, and pretty much the exact english equivalet of "cool" (in any case)

Anyhting else?

18. yakamashi

yakamashi New Member

ok. first off, i can speak japanese but i need help on two things.
    what does . . .

shyabereba shyabe ta te shyaberarerushi shyaben naiba, shyaben naide shyaberarerushi, do-se shyaberarerun nara, shyabe te shyabereta ho- go ii.
    (a saying)

and

saigoni warautame, bokura no ima wo ki chiri aruite kou-

mean?

19. sweetasuka

sweetasuka Ahh Ice-Cream!

I don't know if this was asked or not but what is "I LOVE YOU" in Japanese. Oh And I really want to learn Japanese so bad.

20. TriForce

TriForce New Member

Anybody have any Japanese fonts (like Hirogana)?
    _____
    Another thing: what's 'Death to Kagome!'?