Manga new to manga.....any suggestions?

Discussion in 'Manga and Anime' started by Laberin, Apr 7, 2004.

1. Laberin

Laberin New Member

ok guys what would you suggest for the first 5 titles of manga you think every manga noob should read.
    ive been watchin anime for a long while.so i know some stuff but i want your suggestions.

thanx for all the input.

2. Izzy

Izzy moo. moo. moo!
    Staff Member

That depends entirely on what you like to watch.

Personally, I think there's a little bit for everybody in "Bleach".

But, tell us more of what you like to watch and normally read. Then we'll be able to help you out.

3. Dilandau

Dilandau Highly Disturbed

Well... for starters, maybe pick up the manga version of your favorite anime? That's usually a good place to start - you already know you like the story, but you can see a slightly different version of it.

Otherwise... I'd recommend any of the various Shonen Jump titles that are being released individually (these include Shaman King, Naruto, One Piece, Yu-Gi-Oh!, Yu Yu Hakusho, and others), or the monthly issues of Shonen Jump itself. Either way you get a good price, as the individual volumes are about $10 and the issues (which are roughly an inch thick, so you get a LOT of manga and a variety of storylines) are about $5. These have the benefit of being unedited and printed in the traditional right-to-left format, so basically, you're getting the genuine experience. ^^

If you prefer shoujo (for girls) manga - more delicate art and a greater focus on romance and fluffy content - I'd recommend something by Yu Watase (Fushigi Yugi was one I rather enjoyed a few years ago), or maybe something by CLAMP (Card Captor Sakura, Clover, Wish, Magic Knights Rayearth, etc).

The Evangelion manga is rather good too, but I'll only advise reading it if you've seen the anime - since the manga was actually based on the series, and not the other way around.

4. Shadowbard

Shadowbard Black-Winged Angel

Hmmm...difficult question to answer, that. Dilandau's suggestion to pick up the manga version of anime series that you like is a good one. The downside to that is that you pretty much know the story. There are differences between the manga and anime versions of a story, but I have found very few that tell a completely different story.

I personally don't have a list of titles that every person should read. There are a lot of series that I like and highly recommend to people, but at the same time I know that not everyone will enjoy every series I love.

Another option if you don't want to read the manga of an anime you like is to think of the genre(s) that you like. Generally the American companies will sort the manga into different groups, and you can pick something that sounds interesting.

A nice thing about translated manga is that, in general, you have the ability to flip through a volume in the store. With untranslated stuff you rarely get that option; most of it is shrink-wrapped.

I don't know how much this helps....if you give us an idea of what you like it would be much easier to give a list of suggestions.

~Shadrach Anki

5. Hice

Hice New Member

If you like comedy, try out Love Hina or Azumanga Daioh.

If you like a mix of comedy and action, try Trigun or .Hack//Legend of the Twilight

6. Laberin

Laberin New Member

well i really enjoy fantasy(elves goblins ect.)
    i picked up love hina and am really enjoying that.i like comedy,little romance is always nice.
    i also like fiction.
    something with a good story and detailed characters,something that is hard to put down.

thanx again for all the help.

7. Shadowbard

Well, since you like fantasy, I would suggest picking up something like Chronicles of the Cursed Sword, Saiyuki, or Inuyasha.

For something with a good story (aside from the above three)....Fruits Basket and Hana-Kimi are always good choices. They're two of my favorites, and both are available in English translations. Although the Hana-Kimi translation isn't as good as it should be....stupid Viz....

~Shadrach Anki

8. Dr. Nick Rivera

Dr. Nick Rivera New Member

Well...I'm not too big on fantasy, other than Inu-Yasha...but as for comedy, go for the Ranma 1/2 manga. I have like, 98.5% of them.

9. Tenchi Urashima

Tenchi Urashima New Member

if you like fanatasy

i have been reading manga for 6 months but raed enough to fill like 2 years,

If you like fanatasy i would really suggest magic knight rayeath ( 1+2 ( there are 3 volumes 4 1 and 3 volumes 4 2) by clamp) it is really cool and got me hooked on manga

10. Dilandau

Dilandau Highly Disturbed

Well... If you like fantasy, perhaps Record of Lodoss War would interest you. Or maybe Vampire Princess Miyu. Personally, I've been looking into purchasing the Demon Diary manga - so I can't tell you how good it is, only that it's on the list of titles I might be purchasing in the near future.

11. fenixfire_2491

fenixfire_2491 New Member

Read "Rebirth".I think you'll like it.It's about a reserected vampire.

12. Yasuko

Yasuko I beg your pudding?

You know, it really goes by what genre you like. I think your first five should be CLAMP titles, as you can never go wrong with them. They have a manga for all kinds of readers!
    As far as Romance, Love Hina is the best, but your already reading that. I think Maison Ikkoku and Kare Kano are good, absorbing romances... I never read.

edit: One good manga I'm hooked on right now is Kill me, Kiss me. It's Korean, funny, with a unique storyline. Read it right now or else!!!

13. Fushigi Rockna

As Dilandou suggested too, I suggest going out and buying the monthly Shonen Jump. Not only do they have a lot of different, great shonen titles, but they're cheap. (As are the graphic novels). There's also some Shonen Jump Graphic Novels that aren't in the monthly issues (Roruni Kenshin, Saint Seiya:Knight sof the Zodiac, and soon Prince of Tennis, Ultimate Muscle, etc...)

But i also suggest Zodiac P.I. it's a girly type manga but it's very humourous and cute, AND short. (about only four volumes. An easier manga to collect :p) it's also chock full of mysteries, and some of the ways those killers murder people is GENIUS!
    Oh yes, and you see A LOT of Lili's legs...if you like that type of thing. ~_^

Fushigi Yuugi is also HILARIOUS, and romantic, cute, action packed... it's just great. It's probably the best anime/manga ever in my opinion.

I suggest getting at least one thing CLAMP. Ya like fantasy? Then you might like Magic knigths RayEarth. ^^

14. Raven

Raven Fuhrer

Demon Diary. Its very funny and sweet and cute. Its one of my favs. Its a little Yaoi though. Just incase you don't like that :catgirl:

15. kyrie

kyrie New Member

MARS!
    Inu Yasha....
    uhm..... Marmalade Boy....
    ......uh......I like Snow Drop and Alice the 19th.....uhm..... but things like Full Metal panic and such are good too. ^_^

~Chi

16. artemis836

artemis836 Vampire Slayer

Nausicaa of the Valley of Wind

Prolly the greatest manga I've ever read. I love Big O and Sailor Moon to death but I have to admit greatness when I see it.

Its a fantasticly put together fantasty story by the creator of Princess Mononoke and My Neighbor Totoro.

A must read.

17. Kawaii-neko163

Kawaii-neko163 New Member

Yasuko is so right! My first manga was actually Sailor Moon because that anime was the first of many that I was introduced to. I was obsessed about it for like two years and have probably over $1,000 in merchendise, hey I was really obsessed! So maybe I went way far on that but I was like 8 years old. I was first introduced to the wonderful world of anime and manga when I was 7 by my little brother.

Anyway some suggested CLAMP titles that I have enjoyed immensely are: Angelic Layer, Wish, Magic Knight Rayearth, CLAMP school dectectives they have a lot of creations but I haven't discovered them all and some of them I don't like very much dispite the amazingly breath taking art.

Shadowbard suggested Fruits Basket and Hana Kimi- short for Hanazakari No Kimitachi E They are very good suggestions and among my absoulte favorites, I have up to volume 13 in Fruits Basket but only 2 in Hana kimi which is already probably by now past the 20's. But they are worth it! And he's also right in the translation for Hana Kimi, it's good enough but it's still a little altered.

Oh I also picked up a new one called: D.N. Angel and it's absoultely cute!! Not to mention the art is amazing!! I leap for the art then the storyline, heehee! I have a lot of manga's but those mentioned are SO FAR my absoulte favorites!! :catgirl:

Oh P.S. already mentionted but Zodiac P.I. is really cute and has you hanging! :anime:

1 person likes this.
  18. Shadowbard

Volume 22 of Hana-Kimi is due to come out in the near future (or was it volume 23? Can't remember), and the series is still running in Japan. I'm hoping that the English translations get better because it really is a shame that the series isn't getting the best treatment around. ^_^;; I still need to pick the series up in Japanese, though....

D.N. Angel is another excellent series, and one of the ones I really like. Definitely worth picking up, especially if you like fantastical stories. The English translation is good too...a cleaned up version of the translation I originally used to read it with. Kinda disappointed that they changed With's name to Wiz, but those kinds of things happen.

On the subject of what to start with, CLAMP is an excellent suggestion, but there are other places to start too. Yuu Watase's works, for example. She's an excellent storyteller and artist, and her stories aren't too confusing for the western mindset...at least, I didn't find them to be.

Of course, I'm a shoujo manga nut, and freely admit that not everybody is going to share my same passion for the generally cute, romantic fare that is shoujo. *shrug*

~Shadrach Anki

19. Hyoga

Hyoga New Member

You should buy InuYasha.

20. ~CP~

~CP~ New Member

I think my sig says it all
    (**Shameless self plug, sorry**) :sweat: :sweat:

ehhhh, but the manga sections aren't fully up yet. Sorry again :sad: