Debate Persuasive investigating vs. Torture

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by BotticelliLover, May 21, 2004.

1. BotticelliLover

BotticelliLover New Member

I'm sure if you've been watching the news lately, you've heard plenty about the American abuse of Iraqi prisoners in addition to some at Guantanomo Bay. They were physically, mentally, and sexually humiliated and tortured. These methods of getting information from prisoners were supposedly approved by the Pentagon.

So what methods of questioning do you feel is appropriate for getting information from criminals or terrorists, and what is downright unexcusable torture?

I have to say that people are people no matter what, and such treatment as done to the Iraqi prisoners is sick and perverse. I don't care how many people they were guilty of killing or not, treating cruel people cruelly puts you on the same level as them. The Geneva Convention was made for a reason.
    That kinda of questioning often causes perfectly innocent people to confess to crimes just to make it stop.

I don't know if this is much of a debate, but tell me what you think.

2. VM1070

VM1070 Let's Go Voltron Force

I just would like to say two things on this topic.

ONE: I am very much against what went on at these prisons. Being a member of the armed forces, It is a black-spot on everything that many of my friends over there now have tried to accomplish.

TWO: Why is it no one is investigating the treatment of our prisoners who are being butchered and publicly displayed on the streets of Iraq. Why don't someone step up on this issue. Our prisoners, both military and civilian, are being hunted down in the streets and kills and dismembered. No body seems to have a problem with this. Why is that????

Final note----my unit in NJ has been mobilized and we are tasked with going over there and doing a job. Right now, we are hearing a lot of crazy stuff, and the worry levels are steadily growing. I will say this--if it comes to my life, or my partner or buddies, there is no choice what course of action I need to take. My job is to go there --do my job--and come home in one piece with everyone who got on the plane with me. How would anyone else react if put in that environment???

Victor

3. Mordeth

Mordeth Mordeth Vult!

well, I'd see to it that i was never put in a position like that

might seem like a bit of an obvious answer, but it's one america seems to have difficulty with

4. Dante

Dante New Member

My best guess is because it's expected stereotyped and generalized behaviour from "foreign barbarians" to pull dumb*** stunts like that, however we "Oh-So-Noble Paragons Of Good" are supposed to be above that, are supposed to be better, yadda yadda yadda, so it's a bigger deal with the "Uber Force Of America" does something inhumane like that. Tell some random schmoe on the street that Iraqis are torturing Americans, they would go "So what else is new?". Tell them vice versa, it's more like "WHAT?! OMG OMG OMG OMG OMFG NO WAY! OMFG THAT IS SO MESSED UP! WTF IS UP WITH THAT?!"

This is why Canada should just get it over with and liberate America now.

5. VM1070

I agree with you that we shouldnt be there. And to be very honest, I really wish we weren't.

Victor

6. VM1070

So this should be a reason for us to just look the other way? Don't you feel that these issues show also be addressed somewhere in the whole sceem of things?

Victor

7. Dante

Dante New Member

Nope.

Of course, I'm also considered a barbarian, a heritic, and a sarcastic and cynical *******.

Then of course you have to take into consideration that people aren't all turning away from this... I mean... after all... if we were few probably would have remembered the fact. :)

8. Jaken

Jaken Coin Locker Baby

I for one found it terribly apalling, when i read and saw pictures on the iraq prisoners. Is sick. And i know they do it to their prisoners, but it doesnt make it right just because they do it. I was also very pissed when i heard how bush punished the soilders who did the torture to the prisoners. He did pretty much nothing. The general in comand of that troop, was not forced to leave the armed forces.

Torture in general is not right.

I would never talk if i was tortured. . .i would be fueled with anger. . .if they tortured me it would only give me a reason not to tell them anything. I would not be afraid to die. But thats just me. ^^;;

9. Nephilim_X

Nephilim_X New Member

Oh, of course you'd talk. Everyone likes to say they'd pull a tough guy act and never speak but fear is a powerful tool.

10. BotticelliLover

BotticelliLover New Member

Well, I'd cry like a baby, and spill my guts in the first five most likely. :anime:

Yeah, physical pain can sometimes be withstood, but some of the psychological humiliation they put people through could make the nastiest guys crack, and sadly, as with most cases of forced information or confessions, the information that they got was wrong or twisted to sound more convincing.

11. me_dreaming_zzz

me_dreaming_zzz ¯\(º_o)/¯

im against any sort of torture. its horrible how in our days people still get tortured, even in such well developed countries like USA. And this whole "war on terror" has no sense at all. But the good thing is that its getting better, couple of hundreds years ago almost all prisoners and criminals were tortured but now it doeasnt happen that often and when it does it gets huge publicity. So, maybe in the future, such word as torture wouldnt exist at all.

12. Nightmare

Nightmare Chaos Rules

It gets shown hugly when its done by the US or some other land but torture is always going to be as long as there is hate. Torturing is never going to be going out no matter how long it is.

13. Takamatsu1986E

Takamatsu1986E New Member

what exatctly are you and your friends over there doing, then?

14. me_dreaming_zzz

I dont think that its because of hate, its just the fastest way to get the info out without having to negotiate, or often the only way. Im against such ways of getting the info out of people, its horrible. But unless someone will invent a more humane way of getting the info out, i think torturing will continue.

15. Takamatsu1986E

Takamatsu1986E New Member

taking information without consent will always be inhumane, although i agree it is needed in some cases. but then where's the line, ya know?

16. me_dreaming_zzz

I think the line is how bad u need the info and for what purpose.

17. Eternal-Blaze

Eternal-Blaze New Member

Hmm...torture....I don't approve of it but we may need it sometimes. Sometimes we desparately need information so a way to get it out of people is necessary. Now, the best way we can do that is through tortue. We shouldn't be torturing every single enemy we capture to squeaze all this little tiny information out of him. The best people to torture would be those of higher rank or position in the rebel or enemy forces. I believe that we should focus on a better way to get information out of someone.

18. Nightmare

Nightmare Chaos Rules

I doubt that there is a better way in this time we are in. Sure we are rapidly increasing in technology and one day they might come up with a way to get information with out having to torture but until then we're stuck with torture

19. Yossarian

Yossarian Yossarian Lives!

there is a way round torture. a since of trust and security can also get information. maybe not as fast but I believe torture would get the information.

just because your scared doesn't mean you'd talk.

just the fact that if somehow you got away and you spilled someone’s secrets, them coming after you would be enough that you kept your mouth shut.

but im pretty sure that at that point your dignity and respect has been lost.

Onward the treatment in Iraqi prisoners.

view discretion advised. pictures of prisoners (although im sure most of you have seen them.)

Num.1

num. 2

num.3

20. Bloodberry

Bloodberry Bloody Berry
    Staff Member

i've always thought of persuasive investigating as the same as torture, just with a gentler, more PC termanology.