Video Games Playstation 2 is officaly screwd!

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by DragonSlaveVivi, Jan 25, 2004.

1. Angel from hell

Angel from hell New Member

Hmmm... ive dropped mines twice & the dog tried to chew it once... but mines is still in perfect working order, & ive had it since... ... ... around about 3 months after they came out. Strange

2. Vicious

Vicious Revolution...Revolucion!

All that matters is that the sony co. is making alot of money making other co. take thier titles. They wouldnt be doing this if they knew it would mess everything up. I doubt that they would care anyway considering the fact sony makes nearly evrything. ( stereos, comp. etc. ) They make more money like that.

3. jindo

jindo New Member

There are still quite decent exclusive games for the PS2.... Hotshot Golf series, Socom series, Castlevania, and Contra etc.

4. Vicious

Vicious Revolution...Revolucion!

Yeah but i bet X box will soon take those games too. No game is safe now!!
    lol

5. Novus

Novus Gone

Yeah, curse those thieving Microsoft bastards and those damn dirty profit-seeking corporations we call developers!
    Anyway, the PS2 inexplicably decided to start working after I kicked it a few times. The first-gen ones are all total garbage. My friend's won't play PS2 CD's now.

6. UFOtaku

UFOtaku Wachu loorkin at?!

That was my point of view.

When I was six.

7. SaberJ2X

SaberJ2X Moderator
    Staff Member

I have a PS2 & DC and a PC.. so I "have" all systems

8. SaberJ2X

SaberJ2X Moderator
    Staff Member

strange... mine was on the first one ever brought to america and it works like new...

9. Yasuko

Yasuko I beg your pudding?

I have he good ol' playstation, and PS2.
    I almost NEVER play games in it, I usually watch my DVDs. And my friends said that after a while, the laser inside wears out. That doesn't sound too good of quality, does it?

Also, I've been at a loss for finding good games on it. I have more fun playing my old PS one games!

10. Bloodberry

Bloodberry Bloody Berry
    Staff Member

just to back up my gaming credibility for a sec, i own the following as of release, mostly, since 1986 or so(in no order):
    nintendo(got it a couple years after it was out), atari, sega genisis, super nintendo, gameboy, N64, gamboy pocket, gba, game cube, playstation, ps1(it's a completely different shape, i consider it diffrerent), ps2, xbox(took 5 months to justify it as a dvd player), neogeo, gamegear, dreamcast, and a computer.

there's no real way the ps2 is screwed atm. it'll be obsolete in a few years, but that's kinda a gimme.
    originally nintendo: Final fantasy, contra ( and super c, ever heard of the konami code? heh), castlevania.
    i swear ninja gaiden was on ther long ago too, but i'm prolly thinking of the arcade, so forget that thought.
    nintendo got left behind when ps hit.it could hold more, had better graphics and kicked all kinds of butt. games were getting larger and the way to go now was to get away from carterage(sp?) games.
    it's gone to a whole new kind of reasoning. cd's can hold alot, but dvd compresion is opening a whole new market(sound familiar?) for the buisnesses to milk. cross platform gaming was an issue some years ago, but now it's common and not a problem. the market the companies are hitting have a high possiblilty of owning all 3 major systems availeable currently. you make a game for all 3, you as a game developer, are making a much larger profit than to cater an exclusive game. a much more stable situation. this also alows for the rerelease of classic games. if they sell it to nintendo, most games will fit on a gba cartirage now. amazing compression advances, ne?
    take the n64. that wa what? 64 megs? that was huge compaired to the snes. i own now, a portable usb memory unit that's shorter than most pencils, and about as wide as your thumbs held next to each other. 128 meg. these developers do what they need to do to survive in the industry.
    the ps2 will only be screwed when the ps3 comes out.and then, it's just gonna replace the ps2 again. theoretically. ^^ (sp on that hehe)

as for the ps2's breaking, i guess the first series was made differently than the subsequent runs, you should see my bf's trying to run contra...T-T (i got mine as a grand turismo 3 bundle) not saying they fixed it obviously.

thus, i really don't care if a game comes out cross-platform. and it's kinda neat seeing things going back to nintendo.

11. MrPig

MrPig New Member

*mentions that Square-Enix is blatently pushing towards online gaming, so all you soon-to-be PS3 owners better hope it comes with net capabilities*

^_^

12. Izzy

Izzy moo. moo. moo!
    Staff Member

Frankly, I don't see how any video game hardware can make it nowadays WITHOUT online gaming. So, it's pretty much ascertained that the PS3 *will* be able to go online.

13. MrPig

MrPig New Member

but the problem isnt the ability to go online, what any company needs to focus on is consumer confidence to go online. Anybody can do it: but most people dont believe they can. I for one can vouch on my parents behalf their belief that people under 18 *usually* have a VERY hard time convincing their parents that their card details are secure on the net.

Sure its easily achievable, and theres no way it can get simplified beyond what it already is (even though my new copy of FF XI is refusing my mastercard... :bleed2: ), just gotta convince people that it is actually worth doing.

In short, its the internet's fault for having such a bad rep when it comes to fraud. Meh.

14. Novus

Novus Gone

I, for one, would be more concerned with the costs of online gaming. You still have to pay to buy the game, and then again to play it. I realize that the cost of running large servers is high, but I know a lot of gamers that are unwilling to pay to play.

15. MrPig

MrPig New Member

But to be honest, FF XI is costing me 13 bucks a month. Where i live thats 9 quid. Thats like, the alternative to 4 relatively cheap beers. I think put in thakt kind of perspective it seems worth it.
    Just depends what kind of priorities you have, but i do understand your point. Meh, guess im too much of a sucker for role-playing to really notice :anime:

Perhaps it would be better to make free downloadable versions but you have to pay for the first 2 months in advance or something to cover a few costs of the company?
    All theoretical i suppose, guess im not the guy with his finger on the button after all... :shy:

16. Novus

Novus Gone

You're really onto something there. If developers/publishers were only out to cover costs, I probably wouldn't mind so much, and eliminating fees for long-term customers would really show some loyalty to their audience.