Video Games PlayStation 3

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by Kaiyon, Mar 5, 2005.

1. BakaMattSu

BakaMattSu ^__^
    Staff Member

Be that as it may, it is a strong selling point - in fact, it may be my personal one. Others may like buying and disposing consoles (or even setting them up all around their televisions), but I don't like to be so throwaway. PS2's compatibility was a big reason why I went with it, having a fairly large PSX collection.

As far as comparisons go, XBox-2 does have some impressive hardware stats, and while PS3's core is also amazing, we've yet to see any other specifications for the system. E3 will change that.

2. Nephilim_X

Nephilim_X New Member

See here's the thing... you have a PS2. Why not just keep the console by your tv, and when you want to play a PSX/2 game, you use that instead? Surely having two consoles hooked up isn't THAT bad.

3. BakaMattSu

BakaMattSu ^__^
    Staff Member

No, but look at Nintendo's track record. It gets a bit messy to have a Nintendo, SNES, N64 and Gamecube all set up. Not saying Sony is to that degree yet, but if I'm going to end up with a console museum at the end of the day, I'll stick to PC gaming (which I mainly do anyhow).

4. Reisti Skalchaste

Reisti Skalchaste New Member

Same here. I was overjoyed to find out that the PS2 was backwards-compatible, and it was the main reason I bought one. (I never had a PS1) Sony would have a mean edge if they made the PS3 compatible with the PS1 and 2. I don't think they'd lose a whole lot in the capability department, though.

Of course, owning a PS2 would make it less of a selling factor for me, but, I broke it once, and it cost me $100 to repair, so, if it happens again, why not get a system that's even more capable? Rather than having to fix the thing again, and buy a PS3.

5. Nephilim_X

Nephilim_X New Member

But eventually you have to stop being backwards compatible or your technology stays pretty static. Eventually you will end up with that console museum, unless they end up letting you simply upgrade consoles again and again. That's the big reason why Gameboy DS is only BC with the single player mode of GBA games, and none of the old school games.

Just do what I do and keep the old systems in the closet until you feel like playing them.

I know it's a bit of a hassle, but in the end there is no avoiding it. Eventually you have to scrap some level of BC in the name of hardware progression. And seriously, how much time, do you really spend playing PS1 games on your PS2, Final Fantasy games excepted? Odds are it's outweighed by the PS2 time. I'm sure BC might move a lot of consoles at launch but business wise thats about your only benefit.

6. Teddz

Teddz Sexy Swedish Love ♥

Most game otakus tend to keep the old consoles to basically, well... to collect them. I have always loved the PSone, hence: I have never owned another console other than a SNES and a PS2. It's basically all about how much you "feel" for it.

But hey, it's only my opinion.

7. Reisti Skalchaste

Reisti Skalchaste New Member

This is only a matter of opinion, but in my case, you're wrong. I play my SNES more than my PS2, and I tend to avoid PS2 games. They just don't seem to be as enjoyable. Heck, the last PS2 game I bought, Prince of Persia, Warrior Within, I played for a few days, and then just stopped bothering. I haven't even turned the thing on in a week! Call me old-fashioned...

8. Kaiyon

Kaiyon Grim Reaper

Ohh, I know what you mean. I rented Metal Gear Solid 3: Snake Eater and it just got boring. The villians made no sense! So I traded it back in for an Xbox game. I think the PlayStations may have a seemingly limitless variety of games, but Xbox has the few good ones you cant stop playing. Now, Im not saying all PS games are bad, but some of the one's they made a big deal out of aren't all that great. Hopefully, they come out with a hiigher percentage of great (not good, great) on the PS3.
    But given the circumstances of the new hardware on the system, they're at least bound to have more replay value, I hope.

-K

9. Nightmare

Nightmare Chaos Rules

well i can say this is that when the PS3 comes out it is going to have dvd compatiablilty for the cutscenes in games and the games of FF are going to have to be off the hook or the system is lost to the compition

10. Hiro

Hiro Active Member

Since Every one seems to be downing Nintendo i wanted to post a link to the official Nintendo website so you can read about the new Nintendo codenamed "revolution"... it will have international wi-fi abilities and so will the DS (starting later this year), the rest you can read for your selfs... I also own a PS2 and i have seen pictures of PS3 concepts that i think most resemble what the PS3 Would look like in reality....

P.S. the "revolution" will have backwards capability with GC

1 person likes this.
  11. Nightmare

Nightmare Chaos Rules

Well i wasn't downing the Nintendo GC cause i got one i have all three systems but i had no idea that Nintendo was coming out with a new system that helps

12. SaberJ2X

SaberJ2X Moderator
    Staff Member

my only reason to buy a PS3 is, to play GT5 when it comes out

1 person likes this.
  13. Kaiyon

Kaiyon Grim Reaper

Will it!? I dont have a doubt in my mind. Hey, there's some persuasion from PS3!

-K

14. dark_aftiel

dark_aftiel New Member

A more realistic weapons selection??? I'm sorry but it's just as realistic as perfect dark seeing as how they BOTH contain alien weapons that shoot stupid lasers. I'm actually a pistol fan on 1st person games. The accuracy on them gets me a headshot everytime.

You're right, i didn't counter the power and hard drive comments. They're great, I just don't care enough about them. Any XBox games that use enough of the processor to make them better than a PS2 game do seem to tend to have ridiculous loading times though and the hard drive kind of causes people to not bother with memory cards making your save files MUCH less portable.

And by the way, I DO play legenday, it's challenging "if that", I'm sorry if I may have over done it a bit by saying it was the "easiest" Goldeneye was the easiest, but PD was definitely harder. A dark sim will beat the **** out any group of Halo villains any day, try fighting three of them on single player.

15. Nephilim_X

Nephilim_X New Member

Actually the realism is that there aren't craploads of weapons, because in real militaries weapons are standardized and a person can only carry so much. Sorry if that wasn't clear.

Furthermore, the Covenant utilize plasma (that doesn't shoot through walls with total accuracy), not lasers. The lone exception is the needler; I dunno how to explain away that. It's still not a laser. But do tell, how are lasers stupid anyway? It's not like lasers and plasma are made up technology; given that the Covenant are supposed to be very advanced and we today are experimenting with lasers... (Though granted based on your calling lasers "stupid", I think I can pretty much reasonably guess what type of person you are. What are you going to do next, call bullets stupid? I'm fairly sure concentrated beams of light and chunks of lead are about the same, intelligence-wise.)

I've never noticed a big gap in load times or anything. Do you have some sort of actual statistics on this, or...?

Never mind, I just decided to go ahead and find some evidence about them. Turns out even the PS2 fan admits the XBox loads faster.
    http://www.jocgeek.com/html/bermanvsberman/20030530xboxagain.htm

You do know a hard drive reads faster than a memory card anyway, right? IIRC memory cards are basically just flash memory cards, and those do move slower.

But I don't need to transport my save files anywhere. Furthermore, the option of a memory card is there if you do need to transfer them somewhere. It's saving people money. I don't need to move my stuff anywhere; I don't need to buy a memory card. I save a chunk of change, and if for some reason I ever DO need to buy a memory card, I go out and buy one.

Dark sims are basically just aimbots; I really don't see how that's any sort of amazing feat to program in. I'm pretty sure your claims of Legendary being easy are bollocks; when the official Bungie website praises a player highly for managing to beat Halo 2 on Legendary in only 13 hours, it says something.

Of course, since we're talking about Dark Sims, I'm sure you recognize the difference between a single player AI and a multiplayer bot AI. SP needs its capabilities toned down a tad so it's at least playable. MP doesn't. Then there's the whole "MP bots have the same capabilities as you, SP AI doesn't" issue.

16. dark_aftiel

dark_aftiel New Member

About the loading times, maybe every XBox I've ever used is just slow and poorly maintained, I was only talking from experience. Have you ever played Fable or KOTOR, the loading times get very annoying. Halo isn't bad since the levels are massive and don't have NEARLY as many loading screens.
    I'd also like to point out that you KNOW I wasn't implying that any weapon has ANY intelligence by saying they were stupid, I was just saying I'm not a big fan of laser weapns. You are right that military units don't utilize ridiculous numbers of varying weapons though, I know that. But neither do the different corporations/races involved in PD, there's just more groups involved and so there is a larger weapons selection. I guess from that view both games are just as realistic, any arguements there?
    I also am aware that we are becoming more knowledgable about laser technologies, I doubt we'll ever put them to use as a standard military weapn though, I don't see a very effective power supply appearing any time soon, but then again I've never done any studies in that technology, I'm more of a musician/writer personally so my studies never led me in that direction. I do, however, know a LOT about explosives, but that's only because they're fun, effective, and easy to make.
    I was only saying that I enjoy the portability of memory cards because I move around a lot, and yes I am aware that there are XBox memory cards I was just saying most of my acquaintances don't tend to bother with them.

I didn't take in the whole SP MP concept either, I haven't played PD in story mode in such a long time that I forgot what it's like though, I guess it would be a real nuisance trying to go through Halo fighting covenent forces with the capabilities of Dark Sims though.

So... what type of person am I by the way, I'm curious because... you don't know anything about me.

I will be glad to debate anything else though, as long as this doesn't become a hostile thing, I'd hate that. After all, you're an interesting debater.

17. Nephilim_X

Nephilim_X New Member

I've played both; the load times were numerous but weren't long enough to make me freak out or anything.

Edit: You may wish to compare games that are on both PS2 and Xbox if you want to have a true comparison.

So? It's called maturity. "They fire stupid lasers!" How intelligent does that sound?

AUTO-SEEKING LASERS THROUGH THE WALLS. BELONGING TO THE LOSING SIDE. That and some of the weapons were poorly designed.

Actually they're currently working on mounting a laser on a jet, though it's not the main weapon IIRC.

Edit: "Explosives are effective". Only in certain tasks; you certainly don't want them for a clean, quick assassination.

Who cares about your acquantances? It's YOUR saves you care about.

PD SP is pretty easy; the only real difficulty I had was with the final boss, and that was more due to the way you have to kill him.

An artsy who lacks sufficient linguistic skills to use something other than stupid to describe inanimate objects they dislike and willingly makes an argument that they know isn't even true.

18. Seishin

Seishin Guest

Doesn't it make you a bit suspicious that you get a headshot every time? I smell either auto targeting that makes Perfect Dark a lot easier, bad AI that throw themselves to the bullet, or....you shoot them anywhere, and their heads explode for no apparent reason....

Getting a headshot in Halo/Halo 2 single player is not an easy task, and getting your buddies on multiplayer..takes skill (unless they suck....). So i'd rather have hard shooting that takes skill (realistic), than some AI's that die instantly from a headshot.

Do they have super cool shields, and armor penetrating swords like the elites? I don't think so......(taking on one up close is challenge enough...)

-Seishin

19. Prosper

Prosper New Member

I heard a lot about PS3. But i am not a game person, so i dun bother much.

The price should be around S$800. Thats so far i know.

20. Seishin

Seishin Guest

$800!? May I ask what kind of source gave you this? Doesn't 800 buckaronies seem like a lot, even for a next-gen system. I think the price should be starting at about maybe (US)$400 to (US)$500. That price seems reasonable at least, especially since games are gonna be worth at least (US)$60, maybe even 70 (Mentioned in OXM).....

[edit]I would buy for 800 it if it came with a lot of stuff in it...Lasers...lasers totally in right now! Oh, and foot massage would be cool.....[/edit]

-Seishin