Debate Police Officers- uphold the law or above the law?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Basher, Oct 29, 2005.

?

Do police officers uphold the law or are they above the law?

1. Uphold the law

7 vote(s)
    46.7%
  2. Above the law

8 vote(s)
    53.3%
  1. Lance Leingod

Lance Leingod The White Blade

That's what we thought and yet none of that happened. Its weird, crazy and stupid. That's also one of the reasons I want to move up where Ally is now or some place else. I'd at least like to see if they are better than this place.

The officer that I'm a friend of is really nice and awesome too :D. He's the officer at my school and he also runs an after-school class for people that want to become police men/women. I just hope all of them become nice ones because I know over half of them in the class he has and they're all nice people.

2. Samurai Me

Samurai Me New Member

(WOOT merged thread) Well everyone has made good points. I met a cop one time who was without a doubt a great guy. Nothing he wouldn't do to help. although he drove a bit to fast (Im sorry but 90 on the highway isn't a very good speed) Although if you got an emergency you got one right.

I however really feel that we...the public should try our best to help the police and keep them in check. Like some police go crazy with there authority, and the people should be there to point it out. I also beileve in taking care of my own problems and dealing with them without the police. I had a friend who was attacked by two guys. Instead of taking care of his problem and knocking them out and leaving them there, he ran and called the police for a waste of time for the police officer. The man completely wasted the officer's time. However it is getting harder for us the public to take care of our problems ourselves without being under some retarded law. Like, once you could...if a man was to killl you, kill him and not have to deal with court and paper work. Today, they would first ask you ten billion questions. And then you go to the court...I think not very sure here. And then try to find some way to fine you on somthing. Todays goverment is definatley not what our founding fathers wanted. Sorry, I got off topic. Simimasen (Sorry don't know how to spell that)

3. shinigami

shinigami The Dark Prince

people takeing care of themselves is good

but people trieing to point out to the cops what they are doing wrong right there is wrong, they should make note of it and contact there police supervisor and tell them what happened, the public getting envovled in the situation could be dangerous for the public and the police officers. as police officers will try to protect the public and the public could get hurt along with the police officers, the public can be arrested if they interfer with the invetagation,

ps my dad is a cop and that I belive that people should take care of themselves but know the law

4. Samurai Me

Samurai Me New Member

Really? Its kinda different here in Maine. We are not really a big state. But you help a cop and he usually shakes your hand lol. They look to us alot, and we help them. A cop, actually a famous Martial artist by the name of Loren Christinsin (I think I spelt it right) Was a cop in the roughest part of California fo 39 years. As he puts it, the public should be willing tp risk there lives to help us, seems how risk our ives for them. Like one time we saw a cop wrestling with a teenager, I would have to guess to be around 19 or so. Anyways the Police leader guy thing (forgot what you call them for some reason) say leave the cops be when there in a fight. That cop was more than pleased to have help lmao he shooks there hands and was happy as could be. However I do agree with you, the public could be hurt, but thats something I feel is there problem. If they are willing to help the police, they need to be willing to get hurt.
    I also agree that people should know the law, and the police themselves.

5. inuyasharules14

inuyasharules14 New Member

Ok two things Nik, one, it's sumimasen:rolleyes: lol, ok and second, I agree that the public should try their best and not waste the police's time on something they can handle. Out neighborhoods not like Queens or San Diego but we've got our own share of problems and we also have some pretty incompetant cops who really enjoy just making peoples lives hell over little details. There are some really nice cops though. My father borrowed his friends vehicle on time not knowing that the back end was only held in by wire and that it hadn't been registered in 3 years. He had his sister and 3 other girls in the car, instead of writing him up an summonsing him, they told him to get the car out of Agusta, and straight home and they'd forget they ever saw him. Then the cop that helped my brothers, although 90mph is a little.....:eek: I'm not saying that all cops everywhere around the world are bad and enjoy killing for the heck of it, what I'm saying is that we the public need to be more aware of the bad cops and try to get THEM off our streets and help our cops by doing what we can instead of calling the police over petty things. Like Nik said, we the public should help the police, but we should know that when we do that we're gonna be risking our lives like they risk theirs, but we should also know that its for a good cause.

6. wertitis

wertitis Proud Mary keep on burnin'

o_O Legally that officer could have done whatever he wanted. Ignorance really isn't an excuse, especially when you don't know about something because you didn't take the five minutes to look the vechicle over before driving it. Still, that was pretty cool of him. Not all officers are incompetent or ineffecient. Most are out to kick some butt and make thier cities better places, and give a little leeway to people who have good records who make the occasional mistake.

90 mph? Don't ever go to Southern California. When we're not gridlocked, we're wide open and 90 is about the speed of the second lane to the right (we have 5 lane highways). The CHP (california highway patrol) really is only on the look out for drunks and people being hazardous on the roads (reckless driving, which ironically enough is going 20 mph over the speed limit.) Good thing there aren't many (if any) speed signs posted on the highways. Izzy can attest to that.

~W

7. Chance

Chance Admitted Pokemon Fan.

I miss SoCal now. Even if the traffic was crazy half the time in f*cking LaJoya(sp?). Man I have no sense of grammer or spelling lately.

Anyway, I've been arrested before and in all honesty, I wasn't man handled or mistreated. The officer did laugh at my drunk @ss though and that was alittle rude but in the end, I was at fault.

I'm sure there are police officers out there who are horrible people and are racists and unfair to those they pick out and chanrge with crimes but as in any other feild, not all of them are like that.

8. Basher

Basher Mad Writing Skillz

An old topic but I want to revive it some.

Now I have a better understanding.

I think all Cops believe they are above the law.

Evidence http://www.prisonplanet.com/articles/september2007/100907Motorist.htm little heavy on swearing. But we have all heard things like this.

Not only that Cops are human. They make mistakes. And they have to cover for themselves a lot more.

If you have ever seen a police report chances are they will leave stuff out that makes them look bad. Which means above the law. It is illegal but if they don't get caught then they don't get caught. They are not going to tell the truth on the stands.

Not only that some of the laws are for the cops. Like they can say they have a search warrent to try to gain entry when they don't have one. Or make up lies like in the video. Because people don't know. But some of the time it doesn't matter anyway.

People need to be more informed. Its their own fault.

Society also plays a role. Most people don't understand that cops are people. In some parts they wont believe the cop at all others they do a little to much.

I think the laws should be written so they can't use lies. If they told the truth the good people would responded better.

We all hate cops. Why give them power over us?