Music Punk Rock anyone?

Discussion in 'Music' started by Zanza, Sep 16, 2003.

1. Zanza

Zanza .Net-ing & PHP-ing~*
    Staff Member

Ok, I just figured that I am into Punk Rock, so what if I have a bad taste, sue me!! :p

Anyway, if you don't know what punk rock is, I'll list you some of my favorite bands or songs (I do hope that they are Punk Rock ^^;) :

• Linkin Park
    • Adema
    • Bowling for Soup - Punk Rock 101
    • SR-71 - Tomorrow
    I think that Limp Bizkit, Papa roach & Alien Ant Farm goes there as well, I don't know really that much ^^;

Any other fans around that could share great bands or songs? :)

2. Raven

Raven Fuhrer

I like Linkin Park, Limp Bizkit and Papa Roach. I don't know the other bands but I will look for them.

I like Gob and Puddle of Mud. I think they are punk.:D

Avril must die.

3. Izzy

Izzy moo. moo. moo!
    Staff Member

Linkin Park...punk??? More like rap-metal, in all honesty.

I know you've already taken a liking to AFI, Zan-chu. Check out:

Yellowcard
    Reggie and the Full Effect
    Bad Religion
    Anti-Flag (good for those democracy-haters ;) )
    Ramones
    Dropkick Murphys
    The Temper Tantrums
    Goldfinger
    Reel Big Fish
    Sum-41 (even though I'm not too big a fan)
    Pennywise (see Sum-41)

4. Novus

Novus Gone

The only one of those bands that's even CLOSE to punk is Gob, and they're more punk-pop.

And for Zanza, you have taken your first step into a larger world. Punk is really where it's at, to use a cliché.
    If you want some REALLY GOOD PUNK, that depends on your tastes. If you like a lot of social commentary and politics and all that, the hard-core subgenre is for you. Bands like Minor Threat, and if you hate America for whatever reason, Propagandhi, would suit you. If you like the just plain ridiculous stuff, I recommend NOFX or Guttermouth. Both are more humerous than anything. There's the whole punk-pop thing, with bands like Good Charlotte, Gob and Sum 41. Bands that couldn't do any actual punk to save their lives, but still have elements of the genre. Sometimes they don't make me want to throw up, too. Right in the middle you have bands like the Ataris, Social Distortion and Me First and the Gimme Gimmes.
    Of course, you could go with the classics and just rock out to the Blitzkrieg Bop with the Ramones. That's really a good option.
    Overall, I have to recommend the Dropkick Murphys (so long as you get stuff with Spicy McHaggis involved) and Rise Against. If you haven't noticed by now, I'm a huge Rise Against fan, so it'd be just disgusting if I didn't give them a plug here.

By the way, Reel Big Fish is a ska band, not punk, although the two genres seem blurred at times.

And just to waste a little more time with a Ramones reference ...
    Zanza is a punk rocker! Zanza is a punk rocker! Zanza is a punk rocker now!

5. Goth

Goth New Member

I like Bad Religion, Puddle of Mud, Goldfinger. If you don't hate to listen to other languages music, then you can try Ebba Gron (In englinsh Ebba Green and ordinary swedish Ebba Grön, but you cant see the two dots over the o I think...:p).
    And MOST important of all:
    Does ANYBODY know a Evanescense fan site, caquse I need to check when they're having the concert in Sweden...!!!

6. Novus

Novus Gone

Okay, Puddle of Mud, not punk. Not at all. Same for Evanescence.

7. Teddz

Teddz Sexy Swedish Love ♥

Linkin Park?! Punk Rock?!?!? LOL!

More like Nu-Metal, really, or Rap Rock (same goes for Papa Roach, Alien Ant Farm)

Punk is The Ramones, Pennywise, The Distillers, The Clash, The Sex Pistols, Disorder, and new bands like The Hives and Millencollin etc etc...or Swedish bands like Ebba Grön...Thåström (?)

Alien Ant Farm, Limp Bizkit, Papa Roach & Linkin Park = Nu Metal / Rap Rock
    Puddle Of Mudd = Nu Metal

- T

PS. Goth.

Evanescence has Concert the 16th October (Tror det iaf). Check: www.biljettdirekt.se :)

8. Dredz

Dredz Clown With A Frown

Kindly leave the Clash out of a thread entitled "Punk Rock anyone?", will you? :(

And I still hold that second-generation punk, such as the Buzzcocks, far outclassed the Sex Pistols type stuff.

9. Jaken

Jaken Coin Locker Baby

GOLDFINGER KICKS @SS! i also like Drop Kick Murphies. and ummmmm. . . . . .i think thats it. . . . . .

And i have to say this. . . . .

GOOD CHAROLET ARE POSERS ANYONE WHO LIKES THEM ARE IDIOTS, THEY ARE NOT PUNK! :anger2: . . . . . .
    thanks, now that that is off my chest. :D ITs all true. . . . . .THEY MUST DIE!!!!:bleed2: I WILL MAKE THEM BLEED!!

10. Zanza

Staff Member

hmm, I forgot about Sum - 41 ^^;

And Linkin Park's songs some of them are punk rock!! Specially the 2nd album [Hybrid Theory]!!

And I thank you guys for not making fun of me or Linkin Park.. :) YET.. *sigh*

11. Novus

Novus Gone

Sorry, Zanza, but your thanks can't be directed at me. LINKIN PARK IS NOT PUNK! THEY'RE A FREAKIN' NUMETAL BAND! THAT'S IT! I have Hybrid Theory, and I can tell you for a fact that they are definitely NOT AT ALL a punk band. They don't even have any punk ELEMENTS. I mean, you could just as well call them disco as punk, because they're about as similar.
    Jaken, **** you, some people just have different tastes then you. Good Charlotte is a punk-pop band, not a punk band. Just because they think of themselves as punk but no one else does ... Anyway, shut the hell up. Sorry to be such an ***, but you had that one coming.
    And on to Dredz, what did you mean by that? The Clash kicked.

12. Zanza

Staff Member

Ah well, I don't care if they are punk rock or not, all I care is that I like their music :)

I dont know how to tell what kind of rock is that music, so mostly were like, uhh, a lucky guess? I didn't know that it was called Punk rock in the first place, untill I saw Bowling for Soup - Punk Rock 101. *Ding* and there you have it.

So I am sorry for all the confusing, but I listen to ALMOST everything :)

13. Nemesis13

Nemesis13 New Member

Sex Pistols
    The*Ataris
    The Ramones
    The Used
    Screeching Weasel
    Anti-Flag
    The Queers
    The Pixies
    Yellowcard
    All-American Rejects
    AFI
    Rancid
    Pennywise
    Good Charlotte
    and there are more I like, I just can't remember right now.

14. Novus

Novus Gone

I'm sure everyone's bored of hearing this, so I'm only going to say it one more time. Good Charlotte is not really punk. True, some of their fans think they are, and the band members do dress like punk rockers, but they are not punk. Much like the All-American Rejects, they are more on the pop side of anything.

By the way, Zanza, if I seem like I'm being a ***** about this, punk is just one of those things I'm picky about. So I won't shut up on this. Ever.

15. Nemesis13

Nemesis13 New Member

Good Charlotte is pop-punk. They were heavier before but they made the horrible crossover. The All-American Rejects have some songs that are a bit punk but mostly they're pop-rock. They're nice though.

Oh and to add to the punk-rock thing... there's the Frankenstein Drag Queens from Planet 13... but that's a whole different type of punk/rock weird music that owns.

16. + annovachan +

+ annovachan + New Member

i may be a sucker for even saying this, but there really hasnt been a PUNK band in the past 20 years. punk was the 80s, and even some of the 90s, but now its just.........not. now its pop-punk, or (in some cases that you all mentioned) Nu-metal (linkin park?? puddle of mudd?!?!)

i mean, normally, punk bands THESE days are the ones no one ever hears of.
    NORMALLY.

and, thats all i have to say.

17. Novus

Novus Gone

Yeah, but you're obviously listening to very mainstream radio. If you want to hear punk, you're not going to hear it on the radio. Go and tell me bands like Minor Threat, Rise Against and Propagandhi are poppy. Not even slightly.

18. Nemesis13

Nemesis13 New Member

Even Rancid is going pop. ahhhh what's the world coming to?!!!

19. Novus

Novus Gone

Yeah, that's the way things go. There's more money in mainstream. I will at this time repeat my maxim: Sometimes selling out is giving up.

20. Legato666

Legato666 New Member

Heh sadly punk is dead.Its being over run by Good charlotte and other bands like New found glory.Too late to stop it now.