Music Punk Rock anyone?

Discussion in 'Music' started by Zanza, Sep 16, 2003.

1. Novus

Novus Gone

That's a very negative attitude. Punk will never truly die until the world is a perfect place. And even then, it wouldn't be perfect without bands like The Ramones, NOFX, Guttermouth and Rise Against.
    PUNK ROCK IS VERY MUCH ALIVE AND WELL!

Now's the time
    to rearrange your life
    live for something
    outside of your own mind
    we all dream
    the same dream everynight
    to burn the world that you call civilized

alive and well
    i live to be alive
    i live to always strive
    for something more
    alive and well
    i'll never understand
    the who, what, why or when
    of you tonight...

we face the stares of judgement
    and almost everyday
    the shaking heads
    of disapproval say,
    "pray for you to give me something then find out that there was nothing left."

recite the words inside (your heart)
    realize that this is nothing
    without your voice
    im not giving up
    and ill blame the worst on you
    i know whats wrong
    alive and well
    i live to be alive
    i live to always strive
    for something more
    alive and well
    nothing ventured, nothing gained
    and I dont need to explain
    myself to you.

2. Legato666

Legato666 New Member

I think that way cuz all the kids nowadays think punk is blink 182 and Good charlotte,not Minor threat or the sex pistols.

3. Novus

Novus Gone

The kids aren't all right.
    I went to the Warped Tour in the summer, and most of the people there seemed to know what punk was all about. Of course, there were those kids I met who just wanted to see A Simple Plan ... you may be on to something there.
    My point is that punk is not now and never will be dead, at least not for a long, long time. The punk rock attitude lives on, even in the hearts of an economics student like me. Someone just has to take up the new torch.
    We need a new revolution.

4. Legato666

Legato666 New Member

Heh,maybe lets hope to god that mtv hasnt ruined everything.Perhaps The casualties will step up or something.

5. Nemesis13

Nemesis13 New Member

Very, very well said. And I can't wait till Warped 2004!

6. Novus

Novus Gone

Ah, yes, and I believe it is coming to London, Ontario. Very close to my home port of Strathroy. MMMMMmmmmm ... won't have to shovel out the cash for a campsite. Let's just hope it doesn't pour on me next year. Water and mohawks don't mix.

7. PorPor Coro

PorPor Coro New Member

The CLash
    The Ramones
    Nebula
    Dead Kennedys
    Sex Pistols
    The Pixies
    The Specials
    The Descendants

those are some good punk, I like that old school "Nebula" fun times if u give a listen

8. Novus

Novus Gone

My roommate went to see A Simple Plan on the weekend, and now he won't stop playing their songs ... This poppy stuff's getting to me! I'm going to crack! I need some Ramones! Now!

9. Arutemisu

Arutemisu New Member

-Post Break Tragedy
    -AFI
    -NOFX
    -Out Of Fiction
    -Rufio
    -Punchline
    -Side Walk Slam
    -Unwritten Law
    -The Early November
    -Thursday
    -UseLess Education
    -Shower*Head
    -The Starting Line

10. UFOtaku

UFOtaku Wachu loorkin at?!

What about old style punk rock? That's dead, that was like early 90s late 80s. But I still love it. :p We don't need a bunch of special effects, and we sing, not just yell. ^_^

But yeah, me loves your kind of punk rock, too. Just not all the time. Sometimes I feel like snapping my Linkin Park CD in half and telling them to just spare us all and shut the hell up. ^_^ But other times, I dunno how I live without it!

11. Acolyte V1

Acolyte V1 New Member

I'm not so much sure Punk died, I think it merely evolved. After all, what genre of music is identical now to how it was in the 80's? I liked some of the old style Punk, like the Sex Pistols, Clash et cetera, but my musical tastes brought me up listening to more of what seems to be classified in this thread as Punk-Pop. Meh, if I like it, I listen to it. Who cares if it's nu-metal, classical or punk-pop? If you like it, you like it ;)

Hmmm, as for my list of punk-pop / punk rock bands I like...

• Green Day (gotta be my favourite of the whole genre ^__^)
      Alkaline Trio (runner-up to Green Day)
      Good Charlotte (I said punk-pop already, so be gentle with me... I bruise easily :sweat2: :p)
      Sum 41
      The Clash
      The Sex Pistols
      Bowling For Soup

... and the little hamster in my head just fell off it's wheel (i.e. I can't remember the rest right now :p).

12. Novus

Novus Gone

See, when I was younger, I didn't listen to anything, and then I eventually started listening to (sadly) Limpbizkit and all that stuff. Then there came that wave of punk-pop schlock, a la Green Day's later stuff and Sum 41. Growl. That crap was all over my school, and I couldn't avoid it. Then, in my last year of high school, I was shown what punk rock was really all about. See, I discovered two things. Guttermouth and NOFX. MMMmmmmm ... fun. Then my sister became obsessed with Rise Against, and it spread to me, and then I started to like punk that actually matters, the stuff with those fun politcal lyrics and all that. Anyway, like so many others hereabouts, it seems, I'm really big on the classics lately. I have more Ramones than you can shake a stick at. Of course, I wonder why you'd shake a stick at a Ramones song. That seems pretty stupid. Just listen to it. Do you remember rock and roll radio?

13. Vicious

Vicious Revolution...Revolucion!

Punk rock to me is people just whining about how they hate their fathers and how they are against society. Well if you hate your father than dont talk about it and you cant be against society because your a part of soceity ( this goes to all anti social people)

The ONLY punk rock songs that i like is:
    AFI- The leaving song pt.II( though i dont see how this is punk)
    Yellowcard- way away
    Good charlotte- the young and the hopeless And thats about it.

14. Novus

Novus Gone

Considering two of those bands there, it's no wonder you have that impression. AFI is punk with emo lyrics, and GC is just total schlock. Your description makes it sound like your impression of punk is all that Simple Plan bullshit that's flooding the radio waves. Well, it also describes a lot of that gnu-metal crap too, but that's not the issue.
    Punk isn't a bunch of whiny fools if it's done right. It's just about the most lyrically-brilliant thing out there today.

15. Vicious

You do have a point there.

16. RikkuxMasho

RikkuxMasho New Member

I have a lot of favorite bands.. but I do LOVE punk rock!! But I also like cheese!!! hahaha

17. Vicious

I used to love cheese.......but now i love heavy metal