rurouni kenshin on CN

Discussion in 'Rurouni Kenshin' started by kanashimi, Mar 3, 2003.

1. BlindlessSoul

BlindlessSoul New Member

Well I just saw my first ep of Rurouni Kenshin...and it wasn't anything like I had expected...I mean it was good, don't get me wrong...but Iwas thinking it was a darker anime. I guess I can put my CN editing a lot fear to rest.

I need to watch Samuri X...those are probably the darker ones?!
    But whatever the case I look forward to seeing more Rurouni Kenshin.

P.S. I really like all the effort you put into this forum...the red and wallpaper and all...looks nice.

2. That guy!

That guy! Expecting Father

I'm glad you like the forum layout ^^x

I watched the first five minutes of Kenshin on Toonami yesterday ('cause I had to run!) and I'd say that was enough to get an opinion on it. The censoring really wasn't that bad, they still had the violence that it needs to keep it's story running and some blood may have been cut out(or turned to a greyish colour XD.) Also the voice acting is pretty good, and it feels awkward not to hear Himura say "oro" but they did translate the word right to "huh" :p My main beef with it was that everyone called Kenshin the Battousai Manslayer, and translated Battousai means manslayer... so he's the Manslayer Manslayer. They should have kept is as Hitokiri Manslayer because the Hitokiri was the type of warrior he was and the Battousai was a title given to him.

I'll be sure to watch the rest of it on CN because the tapes of the subs I have right now are a bit worn out from being watched too much @_@x

3. BakaMattSu

BakaMattSu ^__^
    Staff Member

Mmmm....beefy.

Actually, you're a bit backwards in your thinking there, guy. ;)

Hitokiri is pretty much Manslayer (more like assassin, but, meh).

Battousai is the title that was given to him because of his fighting style. He relies on reading his opponent and attacking accordingly, which they've entitled Battou jitsu (roughly meaning "technique of sword drawing", which is how a few of Ken's moves are executed, including that all powerful faster-than-light Amakakeran Ryu no Hirameki).

So "Battousai Manslayer" is their version of "Hitokiri Battousai" which is better than what you thought, but I still prefer the sound of "Hitokiri". :p

Did they keep in the scene where they show Gohei's thumb gets messed up accompanied by the cracking sound and splurt of blood? :D

Uhh...Samurai X is Rurouni Kenshin. When it was released outside of Japan some stupid bigshot gave it that lame title.

The darker series you're looking for is the first OVA of Kenshin (or Samurai X). It's a four episode series (there's also a movie version that groups all four together as one) entitled Tsuiko Hen. It's good for bloodlusters, but I still prefer the lighter TV feel.

4. Hitokiri_Gensai

Hitokiri_Gensai Gunslinger Girl

naw they didnt leave the blood spurt >< nor did they leave the blood when Gohei kills those policemen >< anyway yeah the OVAs are the darkers one Tsukio hen and the Seisho hen. man i cant stand the way they butchered that series >< anyway yeah Battousai isnt manslayer. Hitokiri literally means man and kiri means cut so yeah. and Battou Jutsu or Iai Jutsu is the art of the drawing killing and returning the sword to the scabbard in one motion. any Iai jutsu kata begins and ends with the katana sheathed. Iai means to sit but somewhere along the line it became draw. its thought that it became to mean that because in Iaijutsu you attack and return the sword to its restinf position in one movement without leaving your spot. and the art of Battoujutsu relies on your opponent to move first. theres only a few of Kenshins attacks that rely on him making the first move. the Ama Kakeru Ryuu no Hirameki is on such move. and the Ryuu Kan Sen Tsumuji where the user jumps into the attack to strike at the neck. although thats really not a Battou Jutsu technique.