Saber Marionette Saber Marionette Magic Cards

Discussion in 'Manga and Anime' started by Reisti Skalchaste, Jul 10, 2005.

1. Reisti Skalchaste

Reisti Skalchaste New Member

Yup, it's true. I've found a program that'll let me make my own Magic: The Gathering cards. :)

Which of course means I have to make an SMJ set. :p

I've already started on a couple, but I'm not the best at making my own cards. So I wonder what the rest of you will have to say? Card ideas, abilities, should be fun. :)

I'm figuring I'll make an 80 or 90 card set, like the average expansion. Quite the undertaking, yes, but it'll be fun. :D

Really, what I need most are card ideas. So obviously I need to come up with various creatures, spells, and artifacts of the SMJ series. I've got a few ideas already, but let's hear what the rest of you have to suggest. This could be very interesting. :)

And, since I'm not sure how many of you guys play Magic, the most I'll ask from you is card ideas, images, and flavour text. I think I know the game well enough to come up with most of the functions myself, but, of course, suggestions are welcome.

Right now I've got only one card anywhere near finished, and I'm not done with it yet. But here it is:

When I'm done, I'll post the entire set for all of you in a photobucket account. :)

Attached Files:

2. BakaMattSu

BakaMattSu ^__^
    Staff Member

Slight tangent on the subject. I threw together something similar more than a year ago for Decipher's Star Wars CCG. Only made a small handful of designs out of them, but I had the game text and lore together.

Wasn't quite happy with all of the results. Some things were modified to fit the game's mould, and some of my ideas were poorly executed. Still, I have the file around, and was revising things (in other words started over from scratch).

It will interesting to see the Magic version, but mechanics in that game really make it hard to really focus on characters. Lightning bolt! Cherry dead. x.x

I'll offer ideas, but I've been out of the MT:G loop for a few years now, so I may be a little outdated on concepts.

Attached Files:

3. Reisti Skalchaste

Eek, I hadn't thought of that... But yeah, we'll see what I can do. (although it kinda suits, no? Since we all know what lightning does to electronics)

Ideas are all i ask. :) I can work out the card mechanics if you need me to, it's the ideas I need.

So, for those not in the know, the various card types in Magic are:

Creature
    Instant (extremely fast spells, and counterspells)
    Sorcery (slower spells)
    Artifact
    Artifact Creature (These cover everything from ancient tablets to advanced machinery... I was debating making the girls artifact creatures, at first)
    Enchantments
    Enchant *target* (Things like magical armor or blessings and the like, that target one creature)
    Land

I'm sure there's enough possibilties to make hundreds of cards. Let's see what we can do, eh? :)

4. luvweaver

luvweaver Ad Jesum per Mariam

Hmmm OK I want to add some cards.

"Maiden circuit code" (3 artifact cards, special)
    "Mesopotamia" (artifact creature, special)
    "Dr. Hess" (creature)
    "Xi'an monster" (3 cards, creature)
    "Kidnap" (enchantment)
    "Virtual nightmare" (enchantment). Effects (see card) : "Unlock maiden circuit code", "amnesia", "fugitive"

---

"Mesopotamia": Can only be controlled with the 3 "maiden circuit code" cards. The person who controls the Mesopotamia card, wins the game.

"Maiden circuit code": The third of a set. Can only be obtained with the "Virtual Nightmare" card.

"Kidnap". Requires "Dr. Hess" to use.
    This card will be able to disable the Lime, Cherry or Bloodberry cards for 3 turns each. Note: Only one card can be "kidnapped" per turn, unless you have more "Xi'an monster marionette" cards active in the game.

"Virtual Nightmare" card: Requires "kidnap" effect to be active.
    During each of the three "kidnapped" turns you have the choice of attempting to cast "Virtual Nightmare" on the card to unlock its secret code. Flip a coin.
    Failure releases the three cards but activates "amnesia" mode for 6 turns each, and casts "fugitive" upon the Otaru card. For failure, you lose a turn.

On success at unlocking the card's code, you draw from the universal deck the respective "Maiden circuit code". Additionally, you can decide to release the card in amnesia mode, or keep it "kidnapped". A second Virtual Nightmare is not possible for the same card.

Once the Lime,Cherry and Bloodberry "maiden circuit code" cards are acquired, you can control the "mesopotamia" card and win the game :p

Warning: The maiden circuit code cards, once unlocked, can be stolen!

5. Reisti Skalchaste

This isn't Yu-Gi-Oh, Rick. :p Cards are more independent in Magic. Looks like you're just trying to recreate the J to X storyline.

Besides, I hate instant win cards like that.

6. SaberJ2X

SaberJ2X Moderator
    Staff Member

I despite cards... even if they are SMJ... *weird looking puking face*
    but, nevermind me carry on lads

7. luvweaver

Bummer :(
    Not the storyline, but the possibilities. I mean, Hess has got a lot of cool gadgets in there, doesn't he? :cool: I mean, if we want the cards to make good stories, we need good elements, too!

Oh come on... give me one real example when a person has been able to play YGO's Exodia. Anyway, the winning with mesopotamia can be refined, changed, etc.

8. Nephilim_X

Nephilim_X New Member

Since the marionettes are robots wouldn't they be artifact creatures?

9. luvweaver

:eek: Blasphemy! :eek: (The term is "android", please :p )

But yeah, maybe you're right. So, how do artifacts work in this game, anyway?

10. Nephilim_X

Nephilim_X New Member

Oh dear. Maybe you should be clear on a games rules before trying to make cards for it? ;)

Basically artifacts can be paid for with any colour of mana; they only have a numerical cost, not a colour prerequisite. Artifact creatures are like normal creatures except they can be affected by artifact affecting cards in addition to creature affecting cards. Some artifacts can do other things like produce extra mana, or give bonuses, or whatever.

If the coloured mana approach was taken, I doubt Cherry would use blue mana since that's the colour of illusion. She strikes me more as a white creature (which is all good and holy and hippy etc).

11. luvweaver

Then again, this is a non-magic game by its very nature... so I really don't know which game system would fit it.

Then again, I wasn't the one who started this thread :p

12. Reisti Skalchaste

Neph, I didn't take you for a Magic fan! If I'd known I'd have brought my cards when I met you. :p

Yeah, I was wondering about that myself. I figured Blue more for intellect, but that makes more sense, actually. I'm figuring I'll make Lime green (represents life, and nature), and Bloodberry red (represents chaos and destruction).

If I'd made them artifact creatures, then most of the block would be artifact creatures. :p

13. Nephilim_X

Nephilim_X New Member

That just might be the way to go, really. There's nothing wrong with artifact creatures, and you can have abilities activated by coloured mana.

14. Reisti Skalchaste

I dunno, something about the whole idea just... doesn't agree with me. I think I'll stick with colors.

15. BakaMattSu

BakaMattSu ^__^
    Staff Member

I'd make Lime Blue, Bloodberry Red, and Cherry one of those multicolour creatures (red + blue to make purple :p).

16. Reisti Skalchaste

Well wait, blue is the color of intellect, thought, and deceit, like Neph said. Red is chaos and destruction. (Also, multicolor makes them gold)

Seriously, I'm thinking Lime should be green, Bloodberry red, and Cherry white.

As for the saber dolls, Panther is definately red, Luchs, I'm thinking should be blue. Tiger... I'm thinking red, but it would unbalance the color. Any suggestions?

Also, I'm going to give Lime Haste, and First Strike, given she's the fastest of all the girls. Bloodberry, I'm thinking Rampage and Trample.

17. Reisti Skalchaste

More than a month, and barely any progress at all... x.X

I got the three girls done, and Hanagata, but beyond that I'm kinda lost. BB needs some flavour text, too.

Here's the account I'll be keeping the cards in, the read-only password is "otaru".

http://photobucket.com/albums/b249/SMJMagic/

I think I need card images more than anything else. I've got Otaru's and Luch's cards planned out, but I don't have any art for them that I really like.

Images should be 260 pixels wide by 210 pixels tall, or along that proportion, if you want to edit them for me. It'd be a big help.

Other cards that are in the development stage, but haven't gone past the conception stage (stats already made are in brackets) Suggestions for changes ARE welcome:

Remember there WILL be spoilers here, right to the end of J to X.

Dr. Hess (Black, Cyborg Legend, 2BB)
    Luchs *only need image*
    Mt. Kamuna-san *only need image*
    Otaru Mamiya (Human Legend, 2/2)
    Plasma Lightning (Lightning bolt clone, need image)
    Ponta-kun *only need image*
    Sakura Series Saber Marionette (Artifact Creature - Marionette, (2), 1/1)

Yeah, I don't have a lot right now. But it's definately a start. I'd like to get this batch done before I start any more, but that doesn't mean to not start any new ideas. I'll be rewatching before long, so I'll have a couple new ideas, but multiple heads are better than one.

If I could still take screenshots, this would be so much easier... x.X

Stupid windvd demo running out on me... *grumble*

18. luvweaver

can't you just rip the dvd's (it's fair use, no copyright problems) and take the screenshots with virtualdub?

19. Reisti Skalchaste

A: Because I suck at taking screenshots and I think I deleted virtualdub

B: It destroys part of the team effort! You guys are supposed to be making the set with me. :p I want to put "Made by the BJP team" or something on the bottom instead of "Made by Shinryu."

20. Reisti Skalchaste

Apart from that, I've proven I can't do anything with it on my own. :p Past month has revealed NO changes or updates at all. I'm so lazy... :eek:

I'm still gung-ho about doing it, though. But it's no fun if I do it all myself. :p

(sorry about the double post, but no one would have noticed an edit)