FLCL Saw my first episode...

Discussion in 'Manga and Anime' started by BakaMattSu, Feb 4, 2002.

1. *Fabee*

*Fabee* Retired

I just saw FLCL and Im pretty confused and kinda freaked out!:dizzy2: Whats wrong with this Mamimi chick!?! :dizzy2: She keeps saying that she'll overflow and kisses the poor kid! :dizzy2: What does she mean by overflow? Its obvious that she's not normal (maybe she's an alien), but I'm still curious of the 'thing' that is going to "OVERFLOW" . Why did the thing on Haruko's wrist moved when Mamimi started saying that she is going to overflow and the thing popped out of naoto's head? Is there a connection between the "iron looking factory" and Mamimi? Does the bat that Naoto always carry with him is suppose to remind him of his brother? Does Naoto's dad has the hots for Mamimi :p ?

;_; This is torture! I cant wait till the next episode is completely downloaded! I need to know what will happen in the following episodes!

2. Bloodberry

Bloodberry Bloody Berry
    Staff Member

...closest idea on overflow my bf and i came up with is...uumm...pr0n-ish....eh heh.....and naota dad likes anything female...lol

3. BakaMattSu

BakaMattSu ^__^
    Staff Member

Mamiya et al, you can step in here at any time and correct me, but here are my theories on things (once again disclaiming that it's my own take and not necessarily truth, and based on my 1 & 1/2 viewings of FLCL)...

Mamimi is a very troubled youth. I don't think she believes that anyone understands her fully, and she's not quite sure where she stands on life, either. When she was younger, she got into a lot of things she shouldn't have, and it would seem that Naota's older brother steered her in another direction. However, now that he has moved away, she is faulting back to how she was before she met him.

Her treatment of Ta-kun stems from the fact that she misses his older brother. Maybe not even him necessarily, but she misses when her life had changed from deliquincy. She's hoping against hope that Naota can fill that void...

And "Overflowing" is when she just can't stand things anymore. Mamimi is trying to remain a changed person but it's like bottling emotion. She can only hold it back for so long before it builds to the point that she can't contain it anymore, and then it overflows beyond her control.

And in our day and age, she seems about as "normal" as many teens, IMHO...very aganst life and existence in general, and very confused - and feeling alone in that experience.

Moving on....the "thing on Haruko's wrist" was not moving in response to Mamimi's overflow, but in resonance with the thing popping out of Naota... ;) Explaining this one would spoil it for you, so you'll have to wait...

The "iron looking factory" is actually the Medical-Mehcanica (I forget the real name at the moment) factory, and while it's not connected to Mamimi, it plays a major part towards FLCL's end.

Yes, the bat is Naota's "security blanket". His brother left to play professional baseball, and apparently has a great swing.

And as BBerry noted, Naota's dad is more or less a hentai....as you'll no doubt see...

4. MamiyaOtaru

MamiyaOtaru President Bushman

BMS did a fine job there.. and only having seen it 1.5 times too :D

I'm surprised you got the impression Naota's dad likes Mamimi.. I never noticed anything there, guess I was too focused on what he thought of Haruko.. that said, it's been entirely too long since I saw this show, time for me to watch again and see how Kemon (the dad) talks about Mamimi

It's a good excuse to watch it again anyway hehe

Anyway, it's tough to answer questions about this series. They tend to get answered later (never mind the new ones that are introduced) A lot of time I feel that by answering a question, I am usurping the continuity the director had in mind.. Like I said, BMS did a good job of answering vaguely enough :)

5. *Fabee*

*Fabee* Retired

Wait .. I meant to say Haruko instead of Mamimi!!!
    anyway, this series is only contains six episodes?! Isn't there a movie ???

6. DrunkLeprachaun

DrunkLeprachaun Tetsu Oushi

Almost finished the second ep, so I should have it by sometime next week. I have a quarter of the third ep finished too. Hoy.
    That Guy, it's a Vespa, and she's called the Vespa lady. Vespa, meaning wasp or bee.

7. MamiyaOtaru

MamiyaOtaru President Bushman

There's nothing like an agonizingly slow download over a modem.

If you happen to get a copy of ep 2 where the audio and video are not synched correctly (most copies aren't for some reason) i can give you instructions on how to fix it. You may know alredy hehe. Kinda wish I had the whole series still to watch for the first time.

8. DrunkLeprachaun

I finished ep. 2 a good while ago, and I'm about a third of the way through the next one. The sound seemed okay, maybe a bit off, but not very noticably so. That bit where hybrid rainbows is playing, like I said before, is absolutely brilliant. It's ****ing art. Damn fine.

9. *Fabee*

*Fabee* Retired

I've seen the second episode and the funniest part was where the 'black angel' pooped out Naoto.. teheehe

Question: Is Mamimi homeless? If so, where is her family[if She has one] ?

10. Kaneda_345

Kaneda_345 The Star Stealing Boy

Seen the first two episodes

I got the first DVD and just got done watching it.There is a smiley that can represent my reaction...........

:dizzy2:

Its pretty wierd and I'm confused.Ive only watched through it once.Maybe I might be less confused after I watch it again.

11. DrunkLeprachaun

I don't believe Mamimi is homeless. I don't think she lives with her family, or else her family is really poor. She was always a trouble child, Naota's brother is the one that helped her go straight and narrow.