Schools and Tecniques From Rurouni kenshin

Discussion in 'Rurouni Kenshin' started by Hitokiri_Gensai, Mar 28, 2003.

1. Hitokiri_Gensai

Hitokiri_Gensai Gunslinger Girl

ok here we are: yes i typed these out yes im insane and yes i have WAYYYYYYYYYYYYYY too much time on my hands ^^;;;

There are quite a few techniques in the Hiten Mitsrugi School of Kenjutsu. Hiten Mitsurugi Ryuu means Heavens Honorable Sword Flow. first off most of the Hiten School is based off of the technique called Battou Jutsu, today its called Iai Jutsu or Iaido. Iai/Battou means draw and do means the way in which you learn. jutsu means technique.and ill also lay out the basics of the Japanese Sword.

The Nihontou
    The japanese sword originated in the Nara Period (646-794 A.D.). Actually the first truely Japanese Sword orginated then before that swords were imported from China and had chinese koshirae (Fittings). The japanese sword has grace and elagance but also practibility. first of all its made with a curve away from the edge making it so that the swordman could draw and strike all in one fluid motion. With English Broad swords and many other swords of the period it was very hard to draw fast and strike like the katana. Also most swords were forged so that the edge could take a razor sharoness and hold it where as the mune or back of the sword was soft so that it could bend and not break. therefore they are considered the best swords ever made because of these factors. also in English fencing the sword is built to stab were as the katana was meant as a slashing sword and could easily cut bamboo in one cut if dont properly. now for parts of the japanese sword. The tip of the blade is called the "kissaki". The Sharp edge is called the "ha". The back edges is called the "mune". The wavy design on the ha is called the "hamon" and is a temper mark. The blade is measured from the Kissaki to the mune machi which is where the blade ends and the "nakago" or the tang begins. the "sori" is the depth of the curve. ive said this in my other post and ill say it in this one. the Sakabatou is not a possible sword. you cannot have a springy front and a hard back because the sword will just break. also in Kenshin Episode 11 or manga 4 Kenshin grabs the sakabatou on the blade and uses it to counter Aoshi's speed with his Kodachi however had it been a regular katana that would have worked because when he would strike the edge would be facing Aoshi's sword and not have hurt Kenshin's hand however with a sakabatou the shock of the two swords meeting would have severed Kenshins thumb and part of his palm totally off.

Now with that in mind ill try to outline all of kenshins techniques. First you have the basics
    Ryuu Tsui Sen
    the user jumps into the air, at the peak of the jump (the point at which there is no air or gravity resistence, the user reverses postions so that the sword is held with one hand stretched downward and the other other hand grasping the handle of the sword behind the tsuba (hand gaurd) kissaki point toward into the air. then just before contact both hands are placed on the handle and it delivers a crushing blow to the head or shoulders. Now in Kenjutsu most school taught very little about defending from an ariel attack so therefore the Ryuu Tsui Sen is a very useful move.
    Ryuu Tsui Sen-Zan a dirivitive of the original Ryuu Tsui Sen basicly instead of a downward slash it is a downward stab kissaki(blade tip) first.
    Ryuu Shou Sen
    The user grasps the handle at the end and using the other hand places it on the mune (back edge of the blade) so that the sharp edge is facing up. Then jumping or thrusting with the help of the left hand the sword is thrust at the target. again this is a very useful move because of the swiftness and the fact that it's an effective anti air move.
    Sou Ryuu Sen
    The Sou Ryuu Sen if a nidan battou jutsu (a second level battou jutsu) Holding the katana in the scabbard in a traditional Battou Jutsu stance (a traditional Battou Jutsu stance would be with the Right leg forward and crouching back on the left leg sword in the left hand with the blade pushed out just past the friction point and the right hand out or on the handle. now when drawn theres a possibility that you'll miss therefore instead of leaving youself totally open you swing the saya forward and strike with it. again this is a very useful move although if you were skilled enough chances are you wouldnt miss the primary strike.
    Sou Ryuu Sen Ikatsuchi
    this is also a dirivitive in which you lead with the saya using it as more of a distraction while landing the blow with the katana.
    Hi (pronounced hee) Ryuu Sen
    this is a left handed battou jutsu. its used as more of a suprise attack than anything else. Spinning in the to the left the user then slams his thumb into the tsuba (hand gaurd) and propels the sword at his/her opponent.
    Ryuu Kan Sen
    this move is a split second reaction move. When attacked the user block the sword and spins to the right while moving toward the opponents back. then the katana i brough around and slams into the base of the opponents neck. Very Lethal with a real sword.s
    Ryuu Kan Sen-Tsumuji
    here the user jumps into the attack and swing around to strike the base of the neck.
    Ryuu Kan Sen-Arashi
    the user spins into a ball sword stretched out to strike the opponent
    Ryuu Kan Sen-kogarashi
    standing in behind the opponent the user spins infront to strike in the neck.
    Ryuu Sou Sen
    a primitive form of the Kuzu Ryuu Sen (see bottom) this move basically strikes the nine vital points of the body many times at high speed.
    Ryuu Sou Sen-Garami
    this move like the Ryuu Sou Sen strikes many time at high speeds but focuses on one point.
    Dou Ryuu Sen
    this move has the user slice his or her sword very fast near the ground the movement of the sword will draw up rocks and hurl them at the opponent.
    Kuzu Ryuu Sen
    this is the first of the two ougis(succesions techniques) of the HIten Mitsurugi school. this move hits the nine vital points of the body all at once. only the Ama Kakeru Ryuu no Hirameki can defend against this.
    Ama Kakeru Ryuu no Hirameki
    This is the ultamite God Speeded Battou Jutsu. Only One who is not afraid of Death can master this technique. The Master uses the Kuzu Ryuu Sen against the user. Then the user goes into a normal Battou Jutsu Stance. Then leading with the left leg (this is highly unusual because the battou jutsu technique is taught to use the right leg to avoid being cut on the draw) the user slashes out. The force of the Blade seperates the air and draws things into it to fill the void. Then Pivoting on the left leg the user again slashes. The master usually dies in the teaching of this technique. Hiko Seijurou is an exception to this, as Kenshin uses the Sakabatou Shin Uchi(saka=reversed ba=sound change on the word "ha" which means edge tou=sword Shin Uchi=Holy Blade*.
    *when one makes a unique sword often times there are a couple copies of the blade made. The cheaper ones are sold off or given away and the master copy or the Holy sword is often dedicated to a shrine.

And yes i am a aboslute Rurouni Kenshin Otaku and WAYYYYYYYY too much time on my hands ^^;;;;;;;

Kodachi Nitou Ryuu
    Shinomori Aoshi's Style.
    Onmiyo Hasshi
    this is a thrown sword technique similar to the Hi Ryuu Sen, Except the user pushes the aikuchi kodachi (tsubaless short sword) into the first kodachi. that way if the first kodachi is countered there is still the second one.
    Onmyo Kousa
    after the lead Kodachi connects with the opponent/object the second kodachi hits the mune (the other side of the blade) and puts pressure on it to do further damage.

Goku Juu Ji
    this move is like a pair of siccors. holding both kodachi's forward in an X shape edges out the user swings them away from eachother in a siccor like effect.
    Ougi Kaiten Kenbu Roku Ren
    This is the ougi of the Oniwabanshuu Kodachi Nitou Ryuu. reversing the hold on the swords so that both blades are facing backwards the user starts in and leads with either the left or right hand after that 5 more slashes follow in close sucession.

Tennen Rishin Ryuu
    Saitou Hajime's style actually the style for the whole Shinsengumi.
    Gatotsu
    Saitous special technique. dirived from the shinsengumi specialty Hirazuki. Actually the Gatotsu is a made up by Watsuki Nobuhiro. but Saitous actual technique which was considered to be more powerful that Okitas 3 step pierce was his left handed forward thrust.
    Taikuu no Gatotsu
    and anti air version of the Gatotsu.
    Gatotsu Zero Shiki
    the zero stance of the Gatotsu style. Done at point blank range with all the power he can sustain.

Hiten Mitsurugi Ryuu
    Amakusa Shougo's specialty
    slightly fast and stronger than Kenshin he learned the Hiten Mitsurugi Ryuu from his uncle who had failed to inheirete the Ougi. Amakusa Shougo is a Christian that is worshiped as the son of God because of his lightinig swiftness in battle.
    Rai Ryuu Sen
    a technique specially made by him it reflects the sun of moon light off his katana into his opponents eyes blinding them.
    Ama Kakeru Ryuu No Hirameki
    his ougi loses to kenshins in their battle and Kenshin is still blind.

Street Fighting
    Sagara Sanosuke's fighting style
    Futae no Kiwami
    a literal double pounch. The first punch hits with the knucles but then if followed by the rest of the fist without resistance and can literally disinigrate objects and if it cant totally disinigrate it it causes a large dent
    Kiwami Hasugi
    by punching youself with the Futae No Kiwami it can cancel out another Futae Kiwami.
    Sanjuu No Kiwami
    First the user starts off witht the Futae No Kiwami but on contact snaps out his fingers as the second hit.

im working on Kamiya Kasshi Ryuu

2. TagZrael

TagZrael New Member

Kara Take - Head
    Kesa Giri - Left Shoulder
    Saka Gesa - Right Shoulder
    Hidari Nagi - Left Arm
    Migi Nagi - Right Arm
    Hidari Kiriage - Left Waist
    Migi Kiriage - Right Waist
    Saka Kaze - Between Legs
    Tsuki - Chest

^ Nine vital points that all sword art relies on attacking and defending, all are hit by Kuzu Ryu Sen

3. Hitokiri_Gensai

aa i had that under another post but forgot to post it here so thanks ^^

Kamiya Kashin Ryuu
    Kamiya Kaoru's Father's Sword Style. Their motto is the Sword that Protects life. Students: Master-Kamiya Kaoru Assistent Masters-Myoujin Yahiko and Tsukayama Yutarou Students: Shinichi Kosaburou, Higashidani Outa...the rest of the names arent readable. The Kamiya Kasshin School teaches that you should use your opponents strength against them. Kamiya Koujirou was part of the Sword Bearing Police and was mobilized to fight in the Southwest War, he died there far from the world he had dreamed of.

Ougi no Kiwami Hadachi
    A Shirahadori that catches the end of the blade and snaps the tip off.
    Hawatari
    A reverse Shirahadori. Grabbing the opponents blade between the backs of the hands the user then flips the opponent into the ground.
    Hadome
    after catching the sword or staff using the Hawatari the user then slides along the blade and then lets go of the sword/staff and jams the hilt of his/her sword into the opponents chin or throat.

ill have Enishi's Schools techniques paterned out in a little bit...

4. Hitokiri_Gensai

Garyuu Watou Jutsu.
    Yukishiro Enishi's sword style. Its a continental form of Kenjutsu *continent being China* it uses a Nihontou with a flexable martial art. so...
    *Watou Jutsu means Japanese Sword Technique*

SHUUGEKI TOUSEI
    *Kick attack sword force*
    in this move the user puts his foot against the blade in an upward kick to put more force to the blade hence the name kick attack sword force

KAISHI TOUSEI
    *Returning Thrust Sword Force*
    when Enishi first uses this attack its after blocking kenshin Ryuu Kan Sen with the butt of his sword then spinning on his right foot he stabs the sword forward

SHOU HA TOU SEI
    *Palm of Hand breaking sword force*
    Enishi grabs the blade and does an overhead slash as it goes over his head he uses the palm of his other hand to push the sword faster on its way down.

CHOU TEN TOU SEI
    *upward heaven's sword force*
    Enishi plants his sword into the ground and wraps teh tassle around his hand. the stepping on the butt of the sword he pushes off and pulls the sword with the tassle.

SENRAN TOUSEI
    in this attack Enishi sinks to the ground but then does a series of wide slashes in a circle at the opponent

SHIKUU TOUSEI
    Enishi jumps into the air and bring his sword up for a long overhead slash. *note* during the execution of this technique against Kenshin he does a litteral in air double jump*note end*
    this move can also be done on the way down from the air much like Kenshin's Ryuu Tsui Sen

GOU TSUI TOU SEI
    Enishi stabs his sword into his opponent and lifts them into the air and then slams them into the ground

WATOU JUTSU ZETSUGI
    KO FUKU ZETTOU SEI
    *Japanese Sword Style Ultamite Technique: Crouching Tiger's Ultamite Sword Force*
    Enishi first hold his sword so the the kissaki points into the sky edge away from himself. his hand has his pointer and middle fingers pointing at the ground while to others are wrapped around the handle. When he executes this technique he sinks to the ground one foot stretched as far out as it can go and the other tucked under him. his sword spins around til its facing forward and he leaps into an attack. *note* in his first fight with Kenshin hes able to duck the first hit of the Amakakeru Ryuuno Hirameki and dodge the winds that are sucked into the void.*note end*

5. minjigga

minjigga New Member

crinky. got sum kenshin scholars up in here. good job on doing all that research and writing and ish. its amazing how one person can know so much. learned much and thanks much.

6. Zero Enna

Zero Enna New Member

what about the attacks that follow the style
    like Ryu son sen

and what was the attack that yahiko was trying to make up after he ''deafeted'' the robber at the akabeko?

7. Hitokiri_Gensai

there is no such attack as the Ryuu Son Sen...there is a Ryuu Sou Sen and a Ryuu Shou Sen but no Ryuu Son Sen.

oh and i forgot to add one of Kenshin's techniques

Ryuu Mei Sen
    a literally Notoujutsu a reverse battou jutsu. by slamming the sword into its scabbard he was able to paralyse Enishi by creating a shockwave from the sheathing of his sword.

hmmmmmm attack he made up? hmmmmm i dont remember that...i the actual fight he just used two very basic sword strokes. a overhead cut to the right forearm and a stab stroke the chest.

8. UFOtaku

UFOtaku Wachu loorkin at?!

Wow...you feelin' okay Gensai? And I thought I was obsessed? :D

9. DistantSamurai

DistantSamurai New Member

hahaha and hes very proud of that ahah

10. Hitokiri_Gensai

*laughs* im totally obcessed with Kenshin i rarely watch any other anime i own the manga that entire Anime all the OVA and both of the Official Handbooks *Hiden and Kaden*

11. UFOtaku

Waaah... I'm broke, as usual... -_- I get mine offline. I've only worshipped Kenshin for about 6 months, how bout yall? *bows head in shame*

12. DistantSamurai

don't worry i've only been into it for about two-three years...i don't exactly remember

13. UFOtaku

Well, I think it's actually been a year now. But that's still like twice as long as me. When dija first find out about it?

14. DistantSamurai

isn't that like the same exact question??? do you mena how did i find out it?? o_0

15. UFOtaku

Durr... yeah, hehe, that's what I meant. Been a long day! Just got back from my Orchestra concert.

16. DistantSamurai

i've always been intereested in japanese history yes i was looking in a book and i found a person called hitokiri gensai and i went on teh internet to look up more on him ad i saw rurouni kneshin and i went there and i found out how to get the manga and the ovas and it was downhill from there

17. Hitokiri_Gensai

*laughs* i actually found out about Kenshin after learning about japanese history i think it was about 7 years ago that i learned about kenshin...

well ive always loved swords of any kind then my friend one day was telling me bout japanese sword and how there superior to many swords of the world. well from there i started studying japanese swords. after that i started study japanese history and finally ended up being totally obcessed with Kenshin ^_^x;;;

18. DistantSamurai

i started to meditate when i was about five or six and then at seven i started swordsmanship and my sensei started to read his scrolls and i got totally caught up in japanese history as well as Vietnamese history...and then i foudn the name of a man called Hitokiri Gensai and i looked it up on the internet and found a match for Hotikiri and it told me of an anime called Rurouni Kenshin...the name was interesting os i looked into it...and i got completely hooked!:D

19. Hitokiri_Gensai

thats a good way to get hooked ^_^x;; i dont know much about anyother history other than japan although i do know a good deal about Korea, China, and a bit about Vietnam

20. DistantSamurai

i know mostly about Veitnam and Japan...because one is where i'm from and the other intertwines in my life...so i win both ways!:D