Cowboy Bebop spike's martial art style?

Discussion in 'Manga and Anime' started by otakuotaku, Jul 1, 2003.

1. otakuotaku

otakuotaku New Member

So I was wondering, what kind of martial art does Spike use? I love the way he does that kind of swinging kick especially.

2. Rayne

Rayne New Member

Ive always wondered taht too, and yes, his martial arts are cool. Well I read somewhere that hes into Bruce Lee.

3. Blue Crow

Blue Crow New Member

It's called Jeet Kune Do.I believe that translates into something like "way of the intercepting fist" or something.It was ivented by Bruce Lee.

1 person likes this.
  4. Izzy

Izzy moo. moo. moo!
    Staff Member

Yeah, Spike knows Jeet Kun Do. It's a martial art that Bruce Lee developed to be actually especially effective in a fight. He bases it off of Wushu, but expands it by allowing a lot more kicks (karate style) above the waist. (Meaning, that reaping spinning back kick that you enjoy, Otakuotaku) Class fighting system. You know how Ranma knows Musabetsu Kakuto Ryu? (Anything Goes?) It's a style of all other styles mixed in. I'd say Jeet Kun Do is a close example of it. ^_^

5. nightwarrior

nightwarrior New Member

spike doesn't know jeet kune do have you guys ever seen bruce lee's stance.spike doesn't even has the stance that bruce lee had

6. Legato666

Legato666 New Member

I always thought it was tae kwon do cuz of the long ranged kicks.

7. Ryo Hazuki

Ryo Hazuki New Member

Bruce Lee used Jeet kune-do? Strange.

The one aimed at the chin? I would usually never use a kick like that, but after seeing bebop, I just had to try it!
    Ive perfected it now.

Theres a nice snap action as you finish it.

Gets some amazing height when its done right (approx 6 feet)

8. Sieghardt

Sieghardt Man With the Machine Gun

I beleive Bruce Le created Jeet Kune Do. Nd yes, thats Spikes MA style.

9. Kamui

Kamui X//1999... best anime eva

His fighting style is just pure awsomeness, what more do you need to know?????????

10. Shen

Shen Indefinately away

Jeet Kune Do is the best fighting style... you know why? It's a mix of every other fighting styles. Therefore there isn't really a stance for it.

11. Spike_86

Spike_86 New Member

I think his fighting style is very cool, and ist something that nobody could mimic

12. Blue Crow

Blue Crow New Member

I bet Kareem Abdul Jabar could mimic it.Game of Death anyone?:)

13. The_bounty_fry

The_bounty_fry New Member

Hey, i know what jkd is. for i've been in it for sum time. jkd is not a mix of styles. for we are just one type of human. therefore there can't be a style. also he doesn't need to do bruce lee's stance,( by the way that wasn't his real stance ,only in movies) because jkd gives you freedom. you see others martial arts and absorb what you learned and then throw away whats useless, and keep whats natural to you. you make your own path......like spike. just needed to clear that up !:D

14. seven child

seven child New Member

Jeet Kune Do is a theory, people. This is to say that one can not even know who Bruce Lee is or read anything he has written, but they pick and choose from different martial arts and develope from there; this is the concept of Jeet Kune Do.

Bruce Lee stressed that people should use whatever they are comfortable using, and himself proclaims that it was a mistake to give the theory a name. The only thing set in this theory is stance, which is based on how body weight can be distributed evenly on the body(but even this can be changed). Bruce Lee developed for himself, and we should all do the same - according to Jeet Kune Do.

In all honesty, all of the so-called "styles" are really theories, because punch for punch and kick for kick they are really pretty similar. Anyways, that is what Spike does... he flows like water.

15. BoNd

BoNd New Member

*agrees with seven child*
    it make perfect sense how u explain it...

just a flowing simple m/art the come out depending on comfort,weight and speed blended to make a fighting style...

16. $pike

$pike New Member

or as both spike and bruce said (i practice jkd aswell for a while now) "be formless, shapeless like water - one minute it can be smooth and calm, the next it can pound in a torrent."

'nuff said.

also nightwarrior said that spike should have bruce's stance - no, people who practice jkd don't copy off the instructor, simply put, jkd is like dna - it is similar to all humans but varies from person to person. therefore everyone will have a different form of the art. but still similiar in the basics etc..

but my fav quote-
    You cannot put jkd into a catagory like Tae Kwan Do, for instance you can say that they are feet fighters, but what is the Jeet Kune Do street fighter what is he, he is the unknown!

now 'nuff said :D

17. seven child

seven child New Member

Yeah, I've been doing martial arts for some time now, too. I've always wondered certain things which made sense when Bruce Lee explains them. It's always funny when someone asks me what martial art I do... I simply say I just fight.

Spike's moves are just similar to those of Bruce Lee in the movies, but he understands the concept.

18. Urei_Sama

Urei_Sama New Member

We are just to imagine his style as Jeet Kune Do because he quotes Bruce Lee a couple times i believe...Remember his conversation with Rocco..:

Spike's:
    be like water, water can take any form it can be calm one second and pound down and torent the very next

Bruce's:
    be formless, shapeless, be like water, water can take any form, if you put water into a cup it becomes the cup if you put it into a bottle if you but it into a teapot it becomes the teapot, now water can flow or creep or crash...be water my friend

That varies from the philosophy just as Spike's fighting style varies from Bruce's....But seven child answered it more thoroughly i was just making a point.

[edit] Spike said it first...sorry didn't see that >.< [edit]

19. KaMeKaZi

KaMeKaZi Insanity$%#

Actualy If you look carefully.. in either the first or the ep where they pic up EIN you will notice a HUGE billboard in the background of Bruce Lee. Proving that Spike use the same martial Art Style As Bruce Lee.

KaME

20. MamiyaOtaru

MamiyaOtaru President Bushman

haha sweet, I have a Bruce Lee poster, therefore I use the same style as Bruce Lee! I didn't even have to practice. This is good to know ;)