Square Enix Square-Enix New Announcements

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by femme_fatale, Sep 28, 2003.

?

An FF7 movie and a Kingdom Hearts sequel: good ideas or bad?

1. They're both great ideas!

8 vote(s)
    53.3%
  2. The movie is a good idea, the KH game is not.

3 vote(s)
    20.0%
  3. The KH game sounds good, the FF7 movie doesn't.

3 vote(s)
    20.0%
  4. They both sound like they'll be terrible.

1 vote(s)
    6.7%
  5. I don't care about either one.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. femme_fatale

femme_fatale New Member

Square-Enix has released some propaganda concerning the sequel to Kingdom Hearts AND they plan on making a DVD-only movie of Final Fantasy 7: See?

The movie looks great graphics-wise (it's "realistic" like the CG Final Fantasy movie was)... but that one was a bomb, and I fear that the next movie might be, too. I love FF7, and if the movie based on it ends up sucking, I will REALLY be disappointed.

Kingdom Hearts is one of my new favorite games, so I'm looking forward to the sequel. If they can pull off the same formula that made KH so good and tweak the camera/battle system controls a little more, I think it'll be great.

Thoughts on this, anyone?

2. ZakoSoldier

ZakoSoldier Zeon Commander

I like the idea of KH 2 but every video game based movie was terrible for anyone who played Shenmue 2 and watched the DVD the movie was one long cut-scene

3. Nephilim_X

Nephilim_X New Member

I already despise the FF7 movie because its going to just rip continuity to shreds, and to be blunt, I don't want it to look realistic. I want it to look like an anime, like FF7.

4. Novus

Novus Gone

The Final Fantasy series could not fit any of its games into a 90-180 minute movie. Never. That's one of the stupidest ideas I've heard since someone suggested that Squall actually needs three belts. But that's the subject for another discussion.
    Kingdom Hearts 2 seems kind of stupid to me. I mean, the more memorable Disney movies have already been covered in the first game, so what would they do in the second game? Travel through monstrosities like The Black Cauldron? I guess they could take a tour de force of Squaresoft games ... now that would be cool, but Disney wouldn't just sit by and let that happen. Seriously, though, the GBA couldn't do KH justice. I mean, the voice acting, while weak in some places (Sephiroth, por ejemplo ... grrr, Lance Bass, grrr!) is provided by a well-assembled cast of big-name actors. The GBA could not even try to handle such things, and never mind the music, which would probably turn into the typical tinny Gameboy soundtracks that have plagued us all for ages. Also, what about the movies?

5. Star Princess

Star Princess Haters are retarded.

I don't mind the new Kingdom Hearts game, but I'm not so sure about the Final Fantasy VII movie. I don't want the Cloud-Aeris-Tifa love triangle to be resurrected. Let it die!

6. Zanth

Zanth New Member

I'm looking forward to both, actually. I'll prolly buy the import DVD for the VII deal because I am a FF fanboy, lol. :)

7. Suzu

Suzu 7th Seat Shinigami

Eat your heat out

Mon Amies! Here are some pictures..
    This is FFVII-2 LOL! IT's called Final Fantasy 7: Advent Children.
    More pictures here

Attached Files:

8. Meaikoh

Meaikoh See you later, Moderator

I haven't really made up my mind as to whether or not Advent Children is a good idea, but there was bound to be a KH2.

I'm worried that it'll rip FF7 to shreds, but if they manage it- well, it'll be quite the coup. The problem is, after seeing Spirits Within, I was extremely angry.

It kind of gave me the idea that Game Companies Should Not Make Movies. So, I hope that Square-Enix can prove me wrong.

9. femme_fatale

femme_fatale New Member

Am I wrong, or does Sephiroth no longer have green eyes in the shots from the movie? That in itself sets off warnings for me.

The short-haired Sephiroth clone guy is interesting... his existence makes sense, at least, and his battles with Cloud look to be the major focus of the movie. I just pray that Advent Children doesn't end up getting my hopes up that it might actually be a decent movie and then end up sucking, like FF: TSW did. Judging from some of the screenshots I've seen, there will be flashbacks, and I can see SE just sticking a bunch of flashbacks in from FF7 to try to make up for a crappy plot. Flashbacks could make up 3/4ths of the movie if they wanted. After all, who needs plot when you have pretty graphics?! :(

10. Meaikoh

I see what you mean- it's tough to tell from these shots. There are more screenshots at http://www.rpgfan.com .

The clone does make sense, because they did come into the game, but
    I thought they all died and Sephiroth absorbed them? Maybe I need to play FF7 again.

It looks good- Cloud looks great, and it was just hard to be scared of Sephiroth before. Now he looks evil.

11. Shen

Shen Indefinately away

In response to Meaikoh_Takashi...

Sephiroth got ripped apart by Cloud and everyone made it out of the northen cage alive and well...

As for FF7 movie... I'm on 50/50. I don't think it'll be great but I think it'll be interesting. Either way I'll watch it for the sake of it ^^

^Shen^

12. Meaikoh

To Shenlong_nk

I'm talking about the clones? Weren't they dying one by one? They were barely shadows

13. femme_fatale

femme_fatale New Member

To Meaikoh_Takashi and Shenlong_nk:

I could not remember the specifics from the game, but I read on http://www.diabloworld.com/forums/archive/topic/49062-1.html that there were only around six clones actually seen "killed" in the game, and as I recall, Cloud also gave the Black Materia to a clone of Sephiroth. This means that many more clones could still exist, and that would explain the one in the movie. Some people also think that Cloud didn't kill the real Sephiroth at the end of 7, and that it was ANOTHER clone, which would mean that the Advent Children character that looks like short-haired Sephiroth is the REAL one.

BTW, it seems that Sephiroth does have green eyes after all. It was easier to tell in the huge screenshots from RPGFan than in the others I've seen, but was still rather difficult. At least I am assured that they're still the same color as in the game.

14. Meaikoh

Thanks, f_f- That's a pretty cool theory. And it sure clears things up for me.

15. femme_fatale

femme_fatale New Member

No problem. :) I'm still wondering how good the movie will be, but that website I linked in my previous message had some interesting theories (including the one I mentioned) that could make the plot considerably more interesting. Hopefully Advent Children will have something about as intriguing as some things the fans have been thinking up.

16. That guy!

That guy! Expecting Father

My brother just showed me a preview video of Advent Children and I was drooling all the way through it... Sure many people screw up with making their games into movies but from watching Sephiroth and Cloud fight.. holy crap... that was better than a lot of Matrix scenes.. when at the beginning Cloud was riding his motorcycle and then there was an explosion that made him go flying into the air and straight towards Sephiroth and as Cloud went crashing towards the ground it paused for a second as his sword met Sephiroths!!!!!!!!!! I think he got it from a bittorrent site, though I'm sure you'll be able to find it soon.. maybe on file sharing programs.

So fatale, do you think the movie will be about Cloud taking out the rest of the clones? I'm sure Square/Enix will do something no one expected.. And Enix especially should make sure that it turns out better than Spirits Within.

Here's the ad taken from a magazine : http://www.ffshrine.net/newsimage/ff7ac.jpg

17. Suzu

Suzu 7th Seat Shinigami

The trailer is cool! you can download it from HERE if u use bit torrent though, u'll be able to see it....
    I want to see Aeris/ Aerith again, I wonder if she'll appear. Many ppl want to see 3D Tifa in her Skimpy outfit!!! *Typical Fanboys* I hope she wears something decent so nothing shows.
    *Evil Suzu*

18. femme_fatale

femme_fatale New Member

I really don't know. From what I've seen in the trailer, that's what *seems* to be going on, but I could be wrong. It's kind of difficult to think of a reason why a guy who looks a lot like Sephiroth with short hair would NOT be a clone, though (unless we get some frighteningly odd revelation like "SEPHIROTH HAS SONS!" or something equally strange). Or FF:AC might end up having no clones and just THE Sephiroth with a new look. Who knows.

I would like to think of it as Cloud vs. Clones for now, and then see what other information comes up about the plot. I will likely be proven wrong. :)

19. Ciel

Ciel Unoa Freak
    Staff Member

I just saw the trailer my bro sent it to me.. I was in wonder the whole way through. FFVII wasn't my favourite game, when I first heard they were making a movie/ova about it, I got mad thinking why cant they just stop it? I mean Spirits Within was a bit like FFVII with you know >< so. maybe erith will come back to life and then get revenge on Sephie.. just give me a great story and eye candy people

20. femme_fatale

femme_fatale New Member

FINAL FANTASY: ADVENT AERITH. :)

They have shots of her church in the trailer, so if it's not just part of a flashback, it's safe to assume that Aerith may have a part in (the non-flashback part of) the movie. That would be interesting, since it's what a lot of fans want, but... man, I wonder how SE would pull that off?

So many mysteries...