Suggestions for MangatoAnime

Discussion in 'Feedback' started by That guy!, Jan 3, 2004.

1. Bloodberry

Bloodberry Bloody Berry
    Staff Member

umm, there is no need for kharma. it just shows what kind of poster you are. you'll get bad kharma just for posting for the sake of trying to get good kharma...-_-

2. Kain

Kain Plaything of Doom

O.K i got a new idea. What if we had personalised smiles.
    You know so that when you post a thread you can put it at the end to add a little class. What you think???

Take note: i'm planing on bombarding the board with stupit idea's so get used to it. Cause as some people may know i am a cheeky little B*STERD

3. That guy!

That guy! Expecting Father

We could have midi's or other songs but personally I find it a bit annoying when I go into a site and a midi is blaring in the background and I can't turn it off >_< We could have a radio station.. like MangatoAnime radio, I have seen other sites do this but that would cost money.

Good suggestions everyone ^_^

1 person likes this.
  4. Kain

Kain Plaything of Doom

Well to start Cloud own's the sit so let him pay.lol. (Don't ban me i was kidding)
    We should see if we could put up an option that would allow you to turn off the music if you wanted ya know.
    But i suppose if it does cost money then we'll have to start paying a subcription or something. It's up to the boss.

5. Ciel

Ciel Unoa Freak
    Staff Member

well, I don't agree with coming to mangatoanime and having midis blare at me. since someone may be in a library, at work, or playing other mp3s on their computer. Even if we all knew it was coming and turned off our speakers and could disable it when we came in its a bit of an effort.

The idea of having a m2a radio station sounds cool. It could be in the links with gallery and such, and a member could link to it, play the station and surf the forums while listening. So those who want to listen can put in the effort. I know my bro has had his own online radio station. Its just a matter of finding out if it costs anything or how much.

1 person likes this.
  6. That guy!

That guy! Expecting Father

Actually using shoutcast you wouldn't have to pay for the radio station. But that isn't totally true because there's still bandwidth, and I'm sure that if everyone on the site listened to M2A radio it would use up a lot. But using shoutcast all you need to do is have winamp playing constantly in the background and have your computer become like a server so people can stream what you are listening to off of you so it becomes like a radio station. (I think that is how it works anyways).

http://www.shoutcast.com/

edit(more info): I found this quote in the winamp forumshere

"Shoutcast uses bandwidth using exactly as you would expect i.e. 96Kbps per listener for your stream. Which in bytes is 12 KiloBytes per second so each day each concurrent user would use 1036800 Kbytes (just under a gig). However this would all be outgoing bandwidth. The incoming bandwidth should be just the bandwidth of the source (the same as 1 listener). 34 gig of outgoing bandwidth would equate to about 34 average listeners." -jackherer

So if we had hundreds of people listening to the radio station in one day, would 100 equal out to 100 gigs outgoing bandwidth per day?? :dizzy2: I think that even if we have 110 users listening for a month and have it set at 64 kb/s it would use up 2,026 gb of bandwidth for one month.. I would do that but I have a cap of 15 and have to pay 80 cents for each 100 megs over so that would cost me like 16 thousand dollars a month.. lol

7. Novus

Novus Gone

This thread's existence was just revealed to me, so here it comes.
    First off, I think this site is a little hung up on rules. I'm not saying rules are a bad thing; we econ students build our careers on them. My point is that around here if you screw up a bit, the whole community comes down on you really hard. I don't know ... I could be imagining this.
    Secondly, and this is something you would really never expect me to say and I feel like beating myself for saying it, the people here are too obsessed with tolerance. People will flame and flog anyone who refuses to accept/identify with/love someone else's opinion. In the past I've stated rebuttle against someone else's opinions and just been utterly gang-beat for doing so. This is largely why I haven't posted in the debate forum in ages, but I'll get to that later. This is a community with zero-tolerance for intolerance. It's like saying that we recognize that not everyone is the same, but we must conform or die. It sometimes seems to me like if you don't agree with one person's views, you had better just not say anything because if you do you'll be called a totalitarian or a communist or a fascist or something like that just because the views presented initially are those of someone typified as being a minority or the oppressed. The oppressed becomes the oppressor. I'm probably not making any sense again, so I'll move on.
    I have issues with the "government" of this site. Nothing against the admins; they do a bang-up job and I wouldn't ask them to change anything they do in a million years, but they keep doing it anyway and impressing everyone with the results. I refer to the moderators. I have known some of you for many years, a few moderators since before they were granted this title to begin with. To these people: I know you are great people, but I feel the leadership of this community has lost its way. The system of control here is borderline feudal. You have at the top the admins, who basically run everything. The kings of town, as it were. Then you have the lords, the nobles, the knights, the moderators. And underneath that, we serfs, the lowly board members. Whatever the mods or admin say to us, we pretty much have to follow without question, for fear of banning/public execution. When we argue with one of the higher-ups, we get flamed by mindless sycophants looking to suck up to the boss, or we get muscled around by the iron hand of moderatorship. Even though such roles in this community are appointed (as I believe they must be), I still feel that the role of government is to serve the people, not for the people to serve it. It seems to me that the mods are at times power-driven, and they gain their power through the blood of us of the lower caste. We cannot make a statement against a mod or we are cut down. When we are wronged it is very difficult for us to do anything about it unless there is some kind of public outcry or something like that, largely because if we are not banned outright for something we soon will be.
    Allow me to discuss the debate board. Admittedly, I have not been to this section of the site in a long time. If it has changed at all, and any of my points are invalid, please discount this portion of my post and rest assured that I am greatly relieved. Back in the day, before I vanished for various reasons last November or December or so, I was quite active around that little area, much to the dismay of some of the other members (;)). Throughout the course of what I hoped would be rational discussion I was attacked for opinions, and I even attacked the opinions of others as well. This is the way the human mind works: we are all naturally confrontational, at least on some level. I was forced to enter numerous PM arguments against others as a result of this forum, and the amount of hatred that was flowing to me and from me as a result of discussions thereabouts caused me to just say "**** it" and stop visiting. I don't know if other people feel this way, or if it is just me. At any rate, I recognize that this is a very diverse community, and that is why I believe that no debate will ever really be all that good, because no one can agree on much of anything. And of course if someone says something against the ebb and flow of the current argument, they might as well just say goodbye to their good name because they're done for. Anyway, I probably look like I'm just ranting on this one.
    My final point of argument will be that of "newbies". This site, in spite of the effort of some of the higher-ups, is very un-newbie-friendly. The word newbie, for example, is a derogatory term for anyone new. Everyone was new here once, but a lot of people seem to forget that once they get a post count above fifty. Newbies get banned before they really have a chance because they don't have the "rules" memorized, or because maybe they're new to BBS's as a whole, and don't know what protocol is expected on such a site. I remember back in the day when I first reared my ugly head around here (though you didn't call me Novus back then ...) I did not have an easy time of making a name for myself. I was really forced to ride on the coattails of the few people I knew offline in order to get anywhere, and it was all I could do to make myself flame-retardant until I started to get a good rep with some of the members. Things haven't really changed much, but the site is so much bigger and scarier. Last time I sauntered into the newbies board, it looked like a lot of people just post a welcome to the latest n00b and tell them to read the rules and not spam and all that, then just forget about them until they do something stupid. And then when they do screw up, they get banned. Who's gonna miss a newbie anyway? No one will even notice they are gone. People are able to just slip through cracks in the twisted little system, much like in a full-fledged society. No one even notices they are gone, possibly because a banned newbie is only here a few weeks tops before getting the boot. And then there's those that are not even banned, but are simply scared off. There's a lot of really intimidating people around here. If you just join a site and suddenly someone with a post count in the triple-digits starts yelling at you, it's not too pleasant. I just ask that everyone try to be more diplomatic in the future.
    A lot of the things I have said this evening are based on my own personal, if unqualified, observations. Once again, if I have overanalyzed, underanalyzed or misstated anything, please just ignore me, but I hope you will respect what I have said. This is the first really serious post I have made in a long time.

3 people like this.
  8. Bloodberry

Bloodberry Bloody Berry
    Staff Member

i utterly agree with novus. it's nice to have mod support, but unquestioning support is more damaging than good. or just supporting out of popularity too. it's like, there's 3 groups here: the mods/admins, the clustered groupies, and the new people, who get hung out and ostrasized(sp) before they even have a chance. they called a newbie, ignored, flamed, or otherwise harrassed because they're new.

[berry] this is going to be a bit of a rant, i get like this sometimes...please bear with me and don't misread anything or read more than what's there. if i'm implying something other than what's written, i'll write it out as i know how sarcasm and stuff is taken on the 'net[/berry]

i've also noticed the rule thing, and am trying to stop it in newbies. only mods can post the rule thing as a welcome, because it's sounding like the gestapo are running around in the night to kill you if you dont' obey in there.
    and well, we mods do kind of support it. our will be done, and all that. i know i joke about my Biznatches and such, but i don't want any of my friends to abuse my friendship. but i also don't wanna be a rule nazi, and i like following rules. and i know there are some extremests out there that want anyone that has done something wrong to be banned or flammed out. this, takes out ALOT of the fun of this site.
    But it also doesn't help that when we do crack down on someone, the entire non-mod community freaks out and suddently think we're nazi's again...oO it gets hard to do for us people who are donating our free time to the site.
    i've been here since feb of 2001. a few weeks after the sites creation i believe in fact. drug over from the napster anime bar by MO and popped into here. i think i posted 3 times or so, feeling uncomfy as all hell, as this is my first forum i've joined. I'm proud i've gotten to stay with it for so long, and that i came back after a year absence for 5 months, and gained a mod ship, something i take seriously, but i try not to let worry me when i do something other that sit here all day. something i've stopped doing.
    why?
    because everyone here has gotten to be rather either overly nice, or overly mean to each other. it hit me in august, and well, i've started noticing the same behavior in posts around the place. we've picked up and lost people that want nothing more than to tell us we, the mods, suck. this used to be easy. this used to be fun. now, we're trying to work together to make this an easy and fun place to be again.we even have a "super-mod" now to help the admins a bit.
    the karma system is here to help us figure out who's posting good and nice, and who's just being a trolling moron(hehe see debates for the humor here). it's NOT a popularity contest. It's NOT a personal view contest. it's not there to show how liked or unliked you are. it's there so we know who to watch and who to let run loose as we know they aren't gonna try and burn a thread down.
    it's not that there's really anything wrong with the site other than it's getting bigger and bigger. it's just, we have to change the way we're treating the site in general now, due to the growth. we can't let it baby itself anymore. but please remember, we mods are members here too. we are people. we have feelings and can get stressed out. we know the pain that goes on here, sometimes more than you think. [berry]crap...think i'm...losing...focus...-brain popping noises- oO [/berry]

yeah...it's gone...moo...i got nothing now...i think this was going somewhere...i hate when this happens...XD

1 person likes this.
  9. Sebastien

Sebastien Guest

Amen, BB. I couldn't have said it any better myself

10. Novus

Novus Gone

Well of course I realize that moderators are members. But there's an old saying: "absolute power corrupts absolutely". There are differences between control and domination. For example, I have seen certain moderators in the past edit a post because they didn't like the Americanized spelling of a name, or because they thought someone's poor grammar was difficult to read. Isn't that unnecessary?
    Anyway, I'm not going to dwell on such things. You mods to a hell of a job; way more than the rest of us could, at any rate.
    I just have a terrible fear of the M2A community becoming a largely political entity. Even more do I fear it becoming some kind of hive for some of the scarier elements of the world.
    I'm going to stop my pseudoprophetic ramblings now, though. I've said too much, or not enough, or something like that.

11. Sen

Sen Ero-ninja

hmmm.....well, i just want custom avatar request V :sweat2:

what ever happened to the "no custom ava for newbs"?

1 person likes this.
  12. Dr. Nick Rivera

Dr. Nick Rivera New Member

Well, Custom avatars are back. And yeah, what did happen to that idea?

1 person likes this.
  13. Fuuma

Fuuma New Member

I agree, but maybe change it to 200 posts or 1 year, cuz some members here may not post as much as others..
    Otherwise, Viva la no more newbies in Custom Avatar Requests! *air punch*

......yeah I prolly used that in the wrong context..
    ...that too..

14. Dr. Nick Rivera

Dr. Nick Rivera New Member

Yeah, some n00b already posted some DBZ avatar that is WAYYYY too big, and they say we need more DBZ avatars....

I support this all the way

15. Bloodberry

Bloodberry Bloody Berry
    Staff Member

i'm for the new member no custom avatar idea. maybe just do a 6 month limit instead of a post count, do to spammy nature and such. and well, by 6 months, you should know what's in the collection and what's expected..

16. ZakoSoldier

ZakoSoldier Zeon Commander

There should be an inactivity rule so that we don't have so many 0 posters. Ok some really good names could be taken by inactive users. We should hace a rule that you must get 10 posts in a month or you account will be deleted and if you have not posted in 6 months you account will be deleted

[edit]But once you get lets say 100 posts you become a lifetime member and your account can not be deleted[/edit]

17. Bloodberry

Bloodberry Bloody Berry
    Staff Member

what if you join at 11:30pm of the last night of the month?
    there is a problem...

18. ZakoSoldier

ZakoSoldier Zeon Commander

no no no I mean within a month of your joining and if some one meets the 10 posts in thirty mins you know that all they have is spam

19. Bloodberry

Bloodberry Bloody Berry
    Staff Member

hehe was hoping that's what you meant ^^ my brain just shot to the one way is all hehe

20. Saiyan ChiChi

Saiyan ChiChi New Member

I agree. I got bad karma just because I listed animes on Cartoon Network on a What's Your Favorite Anime post, that's not fair. Giving someone bad karma just because they dont have the same opinions you do is really immature.