Suggestions for MangatoAnime

Discussion in 'Feedback' started by That guy!, Jan 3, 2004.

1. Kagome's Arrow

Kagome's Arrow Princess of Unicorns

Just out of sheer curiosity and boredom, I was reading some of the older m2a (boards.jp-whatever) threads such as these, and after seeing the huge fuss made over custom avatars, I have a tiny little suggestion to make.

The new power user idea is awesome: It combines your attendance to the boards along with your participation, and almost anybody who meets the standards is probably worthy of uploading their own custom avatars.

So if my suggestion isn't incredibly obvious by now, why don't we let the power users not only create custom titles, but upload their own custom avatars?

2. Izzy

Izzy moo. moo. moo!
    Staff Member

Mostly because it would get madly abused. Let's face it, our SIGNATURES constantly break the rules, so who's gonna follow the avatar rules? There could be a warning saying that people with an avatar larger than 64x64 will be banned immediately from the site, but they still wouldn't read it and break the rule.

Personally, I'd LOVE to have custom avatars readily available, but until the gross population of the internet can learn to read disclaimers and warnings, I see no need to. M2A is one of the much nicer boards out there, and controlling sigs and avatars in size is a great way to keep the forums neat.

1 person likes this.
  3. Dante

Dante New Member

Meh. At first I was thinking that would be a good idea, Kagome's Arrow's that is but after some discussion with Izzy I agree with him that in short time it would be much too easy to get to that stage just for people to abuse that power.

Then after much discussion, I decided I'd post this idea.

Perhaps, some other stage above Power User, if possible? Like Ultimate User or something equally hokey. Prerequisites being, say, 1000+ posts, 1 year time span at boards.jp, and 100-150 Karma, within that range.

Something along those lines.

I think it would be quite easy to weed out the less-worthy with such goals as that, especially the karma (since it seems people have enough trouble reaching 50 for Power User). This new stage would allow change of Custom Avatars for ones' self. And/or anything else.

Just a suggestion. :p

4. BakaMattSu

BakaMattSu ^__^
    Staff Member

Re: Custom Avatars for Power Users

Had thought of this idea at the same time as the inception of the Power User, and thought long and hard on the pros and cons - mind you, this was pre-boards.jp, and we are considering opening up a bit on Avatar restrictions (in other words, dropping the anime-related requirement).

UBB makes it easy to set maximum dimensions and file size on custom avatars, so abuse would be fairly controlled in that respect.

However, the actual content would be impossible to check through automated process...

But that's simple enough. Most users (all, ideally) who reach Power User status are the respectible ones to have such a standing, and should abide by the rules or restrictions, if any, that are imposed. If not, it's easy enough to give them a good negative karma hit and warning - continued abuse would drop them down from Power User status and the problem is solved.

So faithful users get more freedom, we no longer have to take time to screen avatars so forcefully, and if the system is abused, there are failsafes in place.

How does that proposition strike you?

5. Dante

Dante New Member

Ah, I always knew since I came here that you were "trluy teh w1n" BMS. :D Anyways... yes, I think that it is a very good idea, would probably make things a bit easier on yourself and whoever else screens and changes the avatars for some of the members. And dealing with abusers should be easy enough if you can set the size, as you said, especially if the more mature members here will point out such members that are abusing the right. :)

On an idle and side-comment it seems as if for some time the avatars haven't been strictly linked to only anime; as is we have avatars of characters from certain video games (my own being one of them; Hunk from Resident Evil), Kamui even has one from the Jrock band Malice Mizer (I think that is, at least. o_O; I don't know that strange dude's obsessions) and Dr. Nick has (how appropriate) a Dr. Nick avatar.

I'm sure that there will probably be numerous people that'll disagree with this, but I'm in full support of this.

As I said, BMS. "u r turly teh w1n".

6. Izzy

Izzy moo. moo. moo!
    Staff Member

I can totally agree with that, Baka. I'm just skeptical of a lot of the members here. ^_^