Saber Marionette Thank you, Akahori Satoru!

Discussion in 'Manga and Anime' started by Reisti Skalchaste, Oct 12, 2004.

1. Reisti Skalchaste

Reisti Skalchaste New Member

My apologies, BakaMattSu, I'm going to go off topic one last time, to explain my choice. It is, after all, my letter.

I'm going with -dono. It seems to me that -sama and -dono are meant for differenet situations, not so much different levels of respect. -sama seems to be meant for people directly above you. Like "Otaru-sama," "Shogun-sama," "Kami-sama," and in the case of this forum, "BakaMattSu-sama."

-dono seems to confer respect for a person who isn't directly over yourself. Such as "Otaru-dono." Clearly, Hikozaemon isn't lower in rank than Otaru, right? Also, I could call our friends, "BRO-dono," or "luvweaver-dono." They seem to suit the situation better than -sama, or -san.

Lastly, the most pointless arguement. Say them aloud. "Akahori Satoru-sama," and "Akahori Satoru-dono." Which sounds better?
    [/off topic]

Now, to the main issue of my post here. I did what I didn't want to have to do, because there is no other way. (I can't plug anything into these library computers, jedimdo.)

I copied it out, and have re-typed it.

So, here's the letter:

Does anyone have any suggestions for changes, to improve it? Anything they'd like to add, or remove, or change?

2. wertitis

wertitis Proud Mary keep on burnin'

oO;

Ok, captain text is rolling once again here. A few things should probably be changed. I'll take this one sentance at a time.

Honestly, like BakaMattSu said, anime and manga are not indicative of how they really talk in Japan. -dono is something you would call the Queen of England. This guy has our respect, but using -dono would seem a little... out of place? That would be like calling your dad or your granddad 'Lord'. You have respect for them, but you wouldn't call them 'Lord', would you?

Besides, how it sounds is different for each language. Akahori Satoru-sama would sound more 'correct' than Akahori Satoru-dono. They would think "Who is this Emperor Akahori, anyway? What's this guy talking about?" While Akahori Satoru-sama may not sound as good to OUR ears, in Japanese it sounds more natural. Remember we dont wanna sound like whiny fanboys/fangirls... which we... are...

...butthat'sbesidethepoint!!

I hope you remembered last names go before first names in Japan...

If this is going to include all of us why not say "This letter is from an online community devoted to your excellent series, Saber Marionette." or something along those lines. Seeing as all of our names are going to be at the bottom, this letter should be more homogeneous. Instead of one guy speaking for everyone, why dont we all speak as one?

We would like to take this opportunity to thank you on behalf of ourselves, and the many fans of the two TV series and OVA's collectively known as "Saber Marionette."

We thank you for all that you have done. Your series has touched so many hearts, and will alway leave a lasting impression within us. It's beauty is unparalleled, and touched each of us deep within our hearts.

Whoa, that's quite a statement there Hoss. That's saying that SM is greater than any of the literary achievements or otherwise in the history of mankind. Shakespeare's Romeo and Juliet, Beethoven's Symphony No. 5, Leonardo DaVinci's Mona Lisa, Sam Raimi's 'Evil Dead' Trilogy... You're saying all of these are eclipsed by the Saber Marionette series. That's some statement. I garantee you Akahori Satoru doesn't think that.

Instead let's try something like...

'Truly we feel that Saber Marionette is one of the most vivid, creative, and greatest story we have ever heard.'

We wanted you to know how greatful we are for your creation, Saber Marionette, and how much we appreciate the work you put into it. While only a few have signed thier names, thank you on behalf of all the fans of your increadible series.

The end Result would look something like this

Dear Akahori Satoru-sama,

This letter is from an online community devoted to your excellent series, Saber Marionette. We would like to take this opportunity to thank you on behalf of ourselves, and the many fans of the two TV series and OVA's collectively known as "Saber Marionette." We thank you for all that you have done. Your series has touched so many hearts, and will alway leave a lasting impression within us. It's beauty is unparalleled, and has touched each of our lives. Truly, we feel that Saber Marionette is one of the most vivid, creative, and greatest story we have ever heard. We wanted you to know how greatful we are for your creation, and how much we appreciate the work you put into it. While only a few have signed thier names, 'Thank You' on behalf of all the fans of your increadible series.

Your loving fanbase,

[insert names here]

Bah, what's the use. The wording is all going to get butchered when we translate it anyway...

1 person likes this.
  3. Jedimdo

Jedimdo New Member

Some short comments here

I read not so long ago that -dono is used to write letters. Actually I'm really :confused: so I don't mind which one is used. But, after all, I still have something against -dono because of it's readings, which include 'palace' and 'lord'.
    If you read the credits, (ya known hiragana?), there says 'Akahori Satoru' so Satoru is Akahorisan's name

I have not changes for it now, I'll turn on my brain tomorrow. I agree with all wertitis' suggestions, but...
    Which series will be posted? wertitis removed R because he has not seen it, am I right? Also remember the novels, manga and the AUDIO DRAMAS.

4. wertitis

The wert replies with another message...

It doesn't matter. I've seen a few episodes of R. The reason why I said "two tv series and OVA's" because to my ears, saying two TV series and Two OVAs sounds redundant. OVAs is plural, thus indicative of more than one. Besides, I'm adressing Saber Marionette as a whole. It's the whole universe that we're taking Akahori Satoru for.

Good call on the last name/first name switch. I always have a field day trying to figure out which one is which.

Lastly, if we're going to be translating this into Japanese most of the wording a formatting will be re-arranged anyway. You more than most know that there really is no such thing as a 'direct translation'. Transalating involves interpretation by the translator so that he/she can translate the message in a coherent manner.

"Estoy hambre para chalupas piquenas"
    Translated directly:
    [invents an english word combining 'I' and 'am' in a temporary/transitionary sense] hungry for chalupas small.

See my point? There is no direct english translation that carry's over 'Estoy's true meaning. The same thing will happen when we translate this into Japanese for Akahori. Grammer and symantics will be completely re-arranged to make it work in the new language. Right now this is merely a guideline.

Pardon my Butchering of the spanish tongue. :sweat2:

5. Jedimdo

Jedimdo New Member

Good point

La verdad es que si lo piensan bien... o.0 - oops :eek: heheh

All we now japanese is much simpler than English or Spanish (without it's writing system). So we'd need to remove some stuff and write it in a 'robotic' style sometimes.

watashi ga gakkou ni ikimasu
    me school going
    I'm going to school
    I'll go to school

[off topic]
    Actually the subject is hidden:
    Yo estoy hambre para chalupas piquenas what?
    Spanish does not always need to write subjects
    Edit: the same for japanese[/off topic]

6. Reisti Skalchaste

True, but, again, I'm going with the tiny little bit of experience I have. From what little I know, it seems more right to me to say -dono than -sama, but, as I said, I'm really not sure which is "better" to use.

:confused: Maybe we should just kana-ize "sir." :D

[pointless nitpicking] I woulnd't call the Queen of England -dono, I'd call her "Your Majesty." :D

Remember that we are sending the letter to Akahori Satoru himself, so, I think he'd be wondering something more along the lines of, "Why are these people calling me Emperor? Hmm... Emperor Akahori Satoru, I like the sound of that." [/making sense] *Akahori Satoru goes on to take over all of Japan, and the world, becoming Emperor anyway* :D

Anyway, I'll go with whatever you guys think is best.

Actually, it does sound a lot better this way. I would prefer the 'heartfelt thank-you' to the 'your loving fanbase' myself, but...

Isn't it? (and you spelled guarantee wrong) :p

Hablo español muy buen. (I think I'm saying "I speak Spanish very well." Though an English equivalent would be something like "I be English good at speaking.") :D

Anyway, if there are no further suggestions, I give the letter over to you, jedimdo, to translate it. (And anyone else who cares to try)

7. wertitis

It takes a special kind of person to butcher one language so badly...

Shoots Shinryu

I believe the general consensus is -sama over dono. If no one has any objections, let's roll with it.

'A heartfelt thank you from your loving fanbase' ? Yes, no? Maybe?

One second here, lemme turn on spell checker in the window... Geez :dizzy2:

No hablo mucho español. Tres años de español y de mí no aprendieron nada. En hecho, este párrafo entero fue generado usando el traductor de Altavista. No sé si esto es gramatically corrige o no. Los monos de Ninja están trazando mi fallecimiento.

Oops, forgot about that. Been a little longer than I remember. If you wanna handle the translating there Jedi, go for it.

8. Jedimdo

Jedimdo New Member

BakaMattSu -sama
    Jedimdo -sama
    Wertitis -sama
    Shinryu -dono
    Black Robed One -?
    Luvweaver -?
    It is not
    Increadible (Canadian?)
    Always
    I just started thinking in Spanish, that's all
    I don't speak very much Spanish. Three years of Spanish and I didn't learn anything. In fact this whole pharagraph was generated using my head's translator. I don't know if this is gramatically correct or not. The Ninja monkeys are tracing my failment. :D
    I have no idea what a chalupa is
    1. Should I discuss it only with you Shinryu? or continue posting here?
    2. Obviously it needs some corrections
    3. I'll check each kanji and kanji combination with a dictionary

9. wertitis

You will laugh... Laugh right now!

What it was meant to say was this:

www.Altavista.com --> translate

I used thier babel fish translating system. Obviously it needs some work.

Speaking of Translation Mishaps...

Sweet God, I was laughing so hard tears came to my eyes. Though, I have to admit I feel that this translation is definately racist. You see, not once does it mention me or my people in its translation. 'Electric fan this', 'Electric Fan that', what about us Gas powered fans?! WHERE'S OUR REPRESENTATION?!

Anyway... I think my bud overseas would keel over from laughing so hard if we sent him this. Let's try to refine it a little more...

...just a little bit. :rolleyes:

10. Black Robed One

Black Robed One New Member

I am refusing to vote in “-sama”/”-dono” mater, since almost everything I know about this mater I know from you, minna-san. But on a personal note, I must say that I grew used to using suffix “-sama” whenever I mean to express uttermost respect, while I am still somewhat unsure about the use of suffix “-dono”.

11. Reisti Skalchaste

:D:D Anyway, I'm immune to all forms of bodily harm. Inviolability, people! (Combined with my diplomatic immunity, I'm unstoppable. :D ) [/Magic:The Gathering joke]

Alright, fine, we'll go with -sama.

Well, I can agree with one thing in this letter. "we are a great person anyhow." :D Actually, it does sound sort of... almost pretty good. I agree that we should refine it a bit, though.

'Gas powered'? Eew... :D

Ninja monkeys? You found out about them? Che, I knew I should have sent the samurai apes. :D

Anyway, the most important matter is as yet unsolved.

We need his e-mail address!!!

12. BakaMattSu

BakaMattSu ^__^
    Staff Member

The trick to using translation engines like Systran (which altavista uses) is to work at it slowly and simply. Formulate the letter sentence by sentence, sacrificing unecessarily complicated or ambiguous words or phrases with simplistic ones.

Think through the sentence, trying to pick out any words that might have several meanings, and substituting for those where possible. Drop that sentence into the trans engine, and then back again -- mind you, just like everything else, the more you grind it, the more you will lose of the original, so you can forgive some oddities.

For example, we can take the first sentence: "This letter is from an online community devoted to your excellent series, Saber Marionette" and par it down to "This message is from an online group that loves your series Saber Marionette."

I admit we will sound far more "simple" that way, but at least it will be coherent.

...or maybe not. Maybe I could get UK to help with the final version edit?

13. Reisti Skalchaste

...This is why we need a bilingual friend. If only that one guy were still around... (he wasn't a member here)

But, yeah, if he's interested, go ahead and get UK. The more help, the better, right?

14. Jedimdo

Jedimdo New Member

Yeah, that's the main problem. Translators are not intelligent really, words as fanbase are not well translated (Fan + Base, that is)
    Only in English, I think. Japanese sounds like that very often.
    I know! I know!
    Use telepathy Shinryu, you can get Akahori's email adress that way. And his mail filters too :D. Or perhaps you are not able to do it?

15. Reisti Skalchaste

Unfortunately, he has some sort of shield around him. I can't read his thoughts. Although I can pick him out of a crowd, due to the fact that he is shielded, it's useless, because I've never succeeded in bypassing one, and breaking them causes huge problems for the target. :p :D

But, I'll begin looking the old fashioned way before too long.

16. Reisti Skalchaste

Forgive the double post, but this is important, and an Edit wouldn't be noticed.

You all remember Lime? The funloving member at the then-called Mangatoanime? (ie, here)

She's still around.

I was talking to her on MSN tonight, actually. She asked me to tell you all that she is indeed, still alive, and she's the same as she's always been. She did say she won't be coming back to BJP, though. She says she doesn't have fun here anymore.

Anyway, the reason I posted this in this thread, is because she agreed to let me put her in the letter.