Debate Time Machines

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Fudge_Monkeys, Jun 13, 2005.

1. Fudge_Monkeys

Fudge_Monkeys www.boards.jp

Do you think that some time in the Near future we will be able to travel through time or not. On a side note one of my teachers said that people have traveled useing Absolute and Relative Locations.

Cleaned Up No Worrys infact i rewrote it.

2. Peachy

Peachy ☆liberal HMod☮

Um IDK. Can I travel through time? No. Mabye when you die and are reincarnated Yes. Untill I see it or go through time I don't believe it. My opinion :eek:

3. Reisti Skalchaste

Reisti Skalchaste New Member

Yes, we can travel through time. But only forward, and only very slowly.

See, you just went forward 3 seconds! :p

Seriously, you're not going to go back in time, no matter *how* fast you drive that Delorean. :p

4. Yossarian

Yossarian Yossarian Lives!

you might be able to. just because we haven't already doesn't mean we won't be able to years from now....

wouldn't going back into the past our into the future mess things up....

remember the butterfly effect for those of you who've seen it.

5. Hiro

Hiro Active Member

if we went back in time
    then this time wouldnt exist in that time period so it would be a seperate demension that you just created

EDIT: meaning that you would have created a paralell universe were the changes you made are now normal so it would mess anything...you would just be stuck in your new dimension...lol

6. Hiro

Hiro Active Member

it is possible...just not for humans...maybe God could???? lol

7. Yossarian

Yossarian Yossarian Lives!

you seem so confident that we can't.

Prove it.

8. Seishin

Seishin Guest

I only consider it to be somewhat possible. Messing with the timeline is impossible, because it's already happened, or gonna happen. If someone comes back from the future and does something big, then it was because it was meant to happen. I was actually thinking of this a while back with a small, and confusing example:

Let's say a singer makes a song. Now, if i were to go back in time, taking the lyrics and music to this song, and give it to my younger self before its released, then i would be interfering, right? Now, if I sold the music back to this singer, and he releases it as he normally would without me interfering, then, did i interfere at all? Or did he actually just buy the music from my young self and say it was his? If so, the who wrote the song? How does that originate? Something, created out of nothing. Not messing with the timeline, yet traveling through time.

Perhaps someone already did, and we just don't know it yet.

-Seishin

9. Nephilim_X

Nephilim_X New Member

Ok, ok. Time to clear up a few things.

Time travel, in a limited sense, is possible by travelling at very high speeds (though that's a one way trip into the future, and its not too kind on the body in terms of mass). This is due to relativism.

Second - claiming "there isn't a machine today, therefore it can't be done" is a fallacy. Technology changes and what might not be possible today is not proof it can't be done. While I am not saying time travel is inherently possible, I -am- saying that with sufficient technology it is possible that a limited form could be done.

Now, regarding the consequences of time travel, there are only theories on what would happen if someone went back and buggered something else.

1) Parallel Universe Generation - A new parallel universe is created to accomadate this interference so the origin universe does not shatter due to paradox. This makes sense under quantum physics.
    2) Self Correcting Timelines - Somewhat fanciful, this posits that whatever you do, something will occur to make it so things are alright. Kill your own Grandpa? Time to go have sex with Grandma. This is fun, but very fanciful and has no real scientific basis as far as I know.
    3) Uni-Timeline Alteration - There's only ONE universe, this one, and if you go back and muck something up, it's sticking. Kill your own Grandpa? He's dead. You're still alive. Be prepared to see the consequences of your changes. There is a basis in science for this but it's limited.

Those are just a few of the more popular ones.

Now before this goes on any farther, let me clarify something - time travel, in the sense of "Back to the Future" style time travel, is not possible given our current level of technology and our current understanding of time itself. However, to outright dismiss all forms of time travel as never being possible is, in my opinion, not an intelligent desicion. You say - why haven't they done it yet? Perhaps they have, but for some reason exist in an "observer" state where their presence is completely unnoticed and they can only watch events.

Remember - all of science is built on theory. There is no total certainty.

1 person likes this.
  10. Seishin

Seishin Guest

True! Remember those days in the 80's when people said that Cd's or maybe even DVD's were some sort of impossible items? Things that seemed like a lot yesterday seem like nothing today. So it's preety possible that sometime in the future, there's a possibility of making something such as a time machine.

But i think that THAT future may be far, far away.....

-Seishin

11. Fudge_Monkeys

Well you know times machines could have been already created but not to our knowledge maybe the goverment or a single indivual is hiding it some where. like seishin said maybe someone did go back in time but what ever was changed still happens

12. Nephilim_X

Nephilim_X New Member

Please try to keep more on track, Fudge_Monkeys. Nobody really cares where I got the example; and shouting out random conspiracy theories is really not the thing to do here.

13. Hitohiro

Hitohiro Angel of Wind

I believe in time, time travel will be possible. Science changes everyday so to say it cant happen is pessimmistic. People 20, 30, or 40 years ago thought things that we have today could never even happen. They were wrong.

14. Seishin

Seishin Guest

That's practically what i said isn't it?

Anyways, another thought that i may have is that maybe a time machine WILL be built, but people are gonna be so strict they're probably not gonna travel through this era, because if they had we would know, then they possibly traveled somewhere else.

Anybody watch that old CN show called Time Squad (i think it was). They're supposed time authority that have to keep things going as they were. For example, they had to keep Georfe Washington in the track of being president. Now, to keep everything right, then that means that Washington would have to become the president, but what history doesn't tell you is that he is helped on all of this by te time squad.

This may give the possibility of an existing Machine, in another time.

I also noticed that everyone always goes BACK through time. What about the future? What would happen to the future? Can you even go to the future? If so, then all of our destinies must be written already right? Or if it is like most say (you make your own destiny), then there must be no future, because it hasn't been made yet (that theory COULD be proven wrong though). Or, if the way to travel through the future is by speeding time up, then how would you go to the past? I can tell you for sure is not by going oposite the way the world turns like Superman somehow did on the old movies.

It's all very confusing really. Impossible isn't a word for this machine. Improbable (for years to come) is something better.

-Seishin

15. Reisti Skalchaste

People always go back because they always have regrets. They always have something they want to change, something they don't like about themselves, their life, anything. People want to go back in time because they want to improve themselves.

That and it's easier to build sets and think up what things were like 20 years ago, than to imagine something that might not happen, or things that don't exist.

Look at Back to The Future II. We're only 10 years away from that future time now, and how much progress have we made toward it? We don't have hover-cars, we don't rehydrate our food, our TVs have gotten smaller, but they can still only show one channel, and they are in no ways like a pull-down screen. The list goes on and on.

16. Nephilim_X

Nephilim_X New Member

True.

We don't hydrate our food to such an extent but we do have lots of microwave food; we have premade roasts that only need to be put into a pot of boiling water (while in the bag) for 10 minutes; we even have military rations we can pee on to hydrate in an emergency (and it'll still be healthy). Granted we aren't getting full out pizzas from disks the size of a minidisk, but I think there is a growing trend in the kitchen to stock up on easy, quickly prepared food.

Picture in picture?

Now now, we have projection screens.

17. Reisti Skalchaste

As someone who sells prepared food, I can tell you in no uncertain terms that people these days HATE to cook. I swear, in one month, we probably sell enough food to feed the entire population of Edmonton. You're right.

Picture in wha? Oh wait, I think my uncle had one of those tvs that could show two channels at once. (We're not up to six yet :p) But it was confusing as hell and there was only sound for one channel. (Probably better, but still... six channels at once? :dizzy2:

That was clearly not a projection screen.

18. Fudge_Monkeys

Uh are we getiing a bit off topic???