Debate Time Machines

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Fudge_Monkeys, Jun 13, 2005.

1. yakamashi

yakamashi New Member

what's the topic? eh... time machines.... meh, i wish they were possible... but one day, they very much may be... ^________^ but if that ever did actually happen, i don't think that it'll be a good thing.... i mean, people can take advantages ...(sp.) of it, and go to the future or whatever, and destroy the whole world, and that'll really suck. :p

but it'll be nice to go back in time... meet your parents before they ever met, or go along with the samurai's.... ah....

2. Warsaw Pact

Warsaw Pact New Member

Even if we could travel through time it would be too dangerous. Because when you travel you disappear and whan you reapper you may reapper in another place, in the air, in the ground, or even in space. Keep in mind that the Earth moves and when you travel through time you don't.

3. Seishin

Seishin Guest

That's not proven yet is it? There exists a possibility of moving while traveling through time. The fact that we aren't supposed to move is just another theory, may be more accurate, but definetly not certain.

-Seishin

4. Yossarian

Yossarian Yossarian Lives!

but that wouldn't happen if you were able to put in the certain place at the certain time, right?

5. Kaiyon

Kaiyon Grim Reaper

Time machines? Meh...not really a fan of them.
    I would use them if they were real of course...to....change...stuff frome the past. Me he he he.
    But i dont think that we'll aber be able to go fast enough to travel through time. I just dont see how, but then again, im not the best that there is at science either.
    Now hyperspace travel....:p

- Kaiyon

6. Warsaw Pact

Warsaw Pact New Member

Depends on the machine. Most Time machinse that I have seen don't even come with cup holders much less those options.

7. Nephilim_X

Nephilim_X New Member

True, the Earth does move, but my handy dandy explanation for people not popping up in rocks or in deep space is this: as you travel, you're still bound by 'Earth' on another layer of reality; an anchor if you will. When exiting the time stream, the matter in the area is displaced.

Now granted that really has nothing to do with this; I'm just trying to come up with a BS explanation as to how time machines don't kill their owners in movies.

8. Nephilim_X

Nephilim_X New Member

Water is not inherently divided into liters, User18. Yet it still functions. Yeah, we can't just punch in a date and expect to show up there (unless of course the onboard computer monitors the approximate date we're at and stops it automatically). But saying "HAY GUYZ ARE UNITS ARE NOT REAL" isn't much of an argument.

9. Fudge_Monkeys

Fudge_Monkeys www.boards.jp

Edit Everything that i had before didnt make sense lets me rephrase:
    People Time Machines dont Have to Move It can be a Portal you walk through and ur in a diff time =D

10. Reisti Skalchaste

Reisti Skalchaste New Member

I've seen the Time Machines from both movies and the book of the same name, the Delorean from Back to the Future, as well as numerous others I care not to mention.

The Delorean (and the Time Train from BttF III) and the Urza's time machine (from the book "Time Streams") were the only ones capable of motion through space, as well as time.

If that were possible, it would likely use a HUGE amount of energy, more than could realistically be provided, I think. A portal is a gate MADE out of energy, so to generate it and maintain it would probably require a VAST amount of power.

(Off topic: What about the Stargate from Stargate SG-1? How did they power that?)

11. Jedimdo

Jedimdo New Member

About the amount of energy needed to maintain a portal, again, it's not the "it's impossible cuz it's too much!". In the future many things will change, as for energy sources as well. How much energy we could use were we dreaming a few decades ago? In the future we may be able to release energy from stars or even galaxies, nothing is impossible.

I've this device on my arm :D

12. Seishin

Seishin Guest

Most people use cars or something protective in case of molecular distruption (at least that's what some theories say). And the whole energy thing is something that people may come up with in about a thousand years. I saw one being used in Sonic X, and they have to use the power of 4 Chaos Emerald (Lots of power there) just to leave it up for about 30 secs.

Besides, if you walked through a portal, how are you gonna come back? That's why we take the car, so we have a ride back.

-Seishin

13. Hiro

Hiro Active Member

people thought flying was imposssible...and we proved them so very wrong... anyways...yea i think its possible...i will edit this post later with more info b/c i have to do lol

14. Chance

Chance Admitted Pokemon Fan.

I'm thinking it's not possible, but I may be wrong...hell, I think it's just another odd idea from the makers of Scope mouth wash....Traveling through time? WTF?

15. weidabao

weidabao New Member

its possible.time and space are both multidimensional~ :rolleyes:

16. NiGHTS

NiGHTS New Member

I had a thought on that. If time travel through portals was possible, then someone would build a portal(s) in the past, which would remain until the future. When someone wanted to go to the past, they would only be able to go as far back as the portal's existence. It would also keep some kind of log so that two people from different times wouldn't warp into the same location, thus merging into each other.
    :) :) ... >_> <_< ... v_v v_v... :eek: :eek: