Debate Toughest Sport

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Phalanx, Jul 19, 2003.

1. Phalanx

Phalanx Long Live M2A!

There is no real answer to this, but I thought it would be interesting to see what develops from it.

What major sport would you consider to be the hardest to learn and most difficult to master? I say major sport because I am referring to such things as Tennis, Cricket, American Football, Soccer and the such. I don't know if anyone in the world considers board/computer games as a sport.

Even though many people have disagreed with me over this one, I would have to say that the most difficult sport to get good at is Golf. In no other sport that I know of is there a game that garuantees no success whatsoever, reguardless of the amount of time you put into it. Long hours on the range and on the putting green do help out quite a bit, but there is a gigantic difference between the PGA professionals and the people who you see on the range. If you ever get to see a golf tournament, go check it out. Those players are almost like gods, the shots they do and their consistancy are really incredable. Emotions play a part in the game too, anger, stress, happyness, sweatyness and whatnot all change the way you hold the club, feel when you take the swing and/or end up hitting the ball. Since it is a solitary sport, you know that you are in total control over what happens. Sure, you can occasionally complain about a spike mark or a divit every now and then. But when you look in the mirror, you know there is one person responsible for the 87 you shot that day, and she/he is looking right at you.

2. Raven

Raven Fuhrer

in my opion the hardest sport is boxing... why i'll tell you why you are constantly getting punched and you get tired from all those punches you throw, also you need to be good in all abilities ie: strength, stamina, agility and speed.

3. Ark

Ark Praise Judas!

Marathon running's no joke either, that's a tough run :)

- Ark

4. UFOtaku

UFOtaku Wachu loorkin at?!

Golf is amazingly difficult.

What about fishing? I mean, it's not easy to pull in a tuna three times your size and weight...

5. DrunkLeprachaun

DrunkLeprachaun Tetsu Oushi

the Triathlon(And the other athlons) are pretty damn tough. You have to be good at loads of different disciplines, and extremely fit.

6. Teddz

Teddz Sexy Swedish Love ♥

Anyone heard of the LeMans 24 ?

You sit in a car...and drive in the same circuit in 24hours...ok, there is some service stops but hey...driving around in 24 hours...that is pretty tough :/

- Teddz

7. Ark

Ark Praise Judas!

I've driven for 27 hours straight :p It's annoying, but not really *difficult*

- Ark

8. Novus

Novus Gone

Canadian Football. You need more than just technique and skill. You need the entire team to work as a well-oiled machine in order to make that big play to win the game. You also need brilliant strategy and to be several steps ahead of your opponents' plan. One little hole in your lineup and its all over for you.
    If you will argue that Canadian football is not the "toughest" sport, at least give it the credit of being harder than American. We give less downs, our field is bigger, our teams are smaller, and our tackles are harder.

1 person likes this.
  9. Sebastien

Sebastien Guest

True, but the thread is called "Toughest Sport". A triathlon is a tournament, not a sport.

10. Ark

Ark Praise Judas!

I'd consider any contest of physical skill to be a sport... lemme check www.dictionary.com though..

Yep I'm correct:

1) Physical activity that is governed by a set of rules or customs and often engaged in competitively.
    2) A particular form of this activity.
    3) An activity involving physical exertion and skill that is governed by a set of rules or customs and often undertaken competitively.
    An active pastime; recreation.

Running a triathalon there is certainly physical activity, and there are rules, and it is competitive.

- Ark

11. Bloodberry

Bloodberry Bloody Berry
    Staff Member

i'm all for the throwing events, like shot put and discus and javelin. i've done it and damn, there's alot too it and it's kinda difficult. especially if you can controt your joints out, or if you can't control them...(which really -ing hurts!)

12. Novus

Novus Gone

If you want throwing, how about caber toss? That's freakin' crazy.
    And then there's those things they do on some outdoor network thingies where they have really huge guys carry giant balls of metal. You'd have to be a freakin' machine to do that kind of stuff.

13. UFOtaku

UFOtaku Wachu loorkin at?!

What about gladiators? That isn't a walk in teh park.

I hate Triathons and stuff. I can sprint, but I hate long distance. What kind of a monstrous person can run around a country with the aid of only 6 bottles of water? :O

14. nightwarrior

nightwarrior New Member

The hardest sport is rugby. I have played it. Those guys are strong!

[berry]edited to add a sembiance of intelligence[/berry]

15. UncommonCalibur

UncommonCalibur New Member

I dont know about you guys, but I find that paintball is a very difficutl sport. Either recreational ball (in the woods) or tournament games (on designated fields). The physical aspect isnt as demanding as football or long distance running, but its very psychologically straining. Have you ever sat in a ditch or a bush and were breathing so hard you fogged up your mask, simply because your adrenaline was surging. The mind-wracking part is not knowing where the other guy is going to come from. Then when you do see him, or he sees you, all you see is a cold emotionless mask staring back at you wanting to cover you in bruises.

I really cant do the sport justice, but it is rather difficult. Equipment has such a large role in the game, yet I still see guys with a Wal-Mart markers take down others with Angels (high quality marker). :sweat:

In short, give this sport a try! Its tough!

16. Mordeth

Mordeth Mordeth Vult!

canadian football... rofl, why can't you just play rugby?

anyway.. hurling is a hell of a sport

17. VM1070

VM1070 Let's Go Voltron Force

I agree with this statement 100%. There is nothing like going out into the woods in the winter and getting hit by one of the paintballs. For those who don't know, weather play a huge factor on your equipment in this sport. The tempature of your ammo determines whether or not you are the one who is getting shot, or the one who's doing the shooting.
    Best defense in this sport is to know your terrain. The price of your gun means nothing if your opponent can sneak up on you.

Victor

18. Nephilim_X

Nephilim_X New Member

Drunken trampoline wrestling.

19. Saiyan ChiChi

Saiyan ChiChi New Member

Rugby is a tough sport. I played on the city youth team when I was in high school. I was one out of three girls on the team. All the teams we played were all boys. We did win the championship in our first year. Compared to rugby, football looks easy.

20. Izzy

Izzy moo. moo. moo!
    Staff Member

Let me put to rest some other things about the Le Mans 24 Hour Endurance race. The drivers also have to deal with a car with no heating or air, and probably only a waterbottle between each pit stop. Also, their thermal suits get hot in excess of 80+ degrees. Also, there's the fact that they have to handle a car with a LOT of torque and a LOT of horsepower that doesn't weigh anything past over 2200 lbs. That's a strain on their arms, not to mention their left leg, if they're driving one of the Le Mans Road Cars, or the Oreca Vipers.

It's a grueling race, to be sure. Especially since you're also racing to keep ahead of the other cars.

But, that's digressing in a large amount. Rugby, Soccer/Football, Marathons, Triathalons...all those are very hard on the body. They're extreme sports, since the body has to be pretty damn fine tuned to be able to play a full game of soccer.

Golf and boxing requires a good amount of mental and physical exertion as well. Especially boxing. Hell, I'd be done after fighting the FIRST round, let alone another 4 - 9. ^_^

But, to me, the toughest sport would probably be face climbing. Man, have you got to be PREPARED to take something like a MOUNTAIN on. With only your hands and feet, and a few cables.

Also, Sprinting takes a lot out of a person. Well, it should. If not, you're not really sprinting right. It takes quite a bit of preparation as well. I didn't get fit enough to sprint in higher events for 2 months of everyday training. Before then, I was only delegated to the 100m dash.