Debate Uniforms

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Kos-Mos, Jan 7, 2004.

1. Kos-Mos

Kos-Mos New Member

I'm not quiet sure that this goes here, sorry if it doesn't.
    Anyway, what would you do if your school gave you uniforms to wear?
    Would you protest?
    Why or why not?

Personally, I wouldn't mind it much. I'd prefer uniforms to casual wear. It would save money when you don’t have to go shopping for new cloths every day because it's "not in" or because you tore a hole in them or something from wearing them as much. As long as the skirts aren’t to short and the boys don’t have to wear shorts (don’t ask) I wouldn't mind them as much.

There are the down sides; it would be harder to show your individuality. That's true. But for some reason, I don’t believe that individuality is shown through looks as well as it is through attitude. And plus, in my opinion, it helps student to learn to deal and cope with things they don’t like. Well...unless they want uniforms, of course.
    What do you think?

2. shippou

shippou New Member

uniforms are bad ,they take away our individuality.........
    they are nearly always bad looking(ours is brown)
    and the teachers get to wear ordinary clothes........
    which is unfair

3. Zanza

Zanza .Net-ing & PHP-ing~*
    Staff Member

Why teachers wearing casual is unfair if you are wearing a specific uniform? I think uniforms kick butt! It shows that you are organised and everyone looks cool.

I've been wearing 3 different uniforms, if not 4 if you would count kindergarten! :p.
    Sure sometimes I wished I could wear casual, but since I went to college, I thanked God that I had to wear uniforms :)

4. Nephilim_X

Nephilim_X New Member

I wore uniforms all through high school and didn't complain once. It made it easy to pick something to wear, laundry was a snap, and the pants doubled as dress pants. Furthermore, people who judge my individuality by my uniform or any other clothing aren't worth my time to begin with.

5. Sen

Sen Ero-ninja

my whole life i wore uniforms, i didnt mind them, specially since i'm lazy :p

6. Shen

Shen Indefinately away

Your an icon for you school. Isn't that something to be proud of? Certainly I think it is, especially at my school, which holds a national academic status. It also puts me in a working mood simply because I've grown up wearing uniform and my attitude towards learning generally remains high while wearing one. Besides, ties and blazers make you look smart.

^Shen^

7. IlUvHaKkAi

IlUvHaKkAi New Member

i totally agree. my uniform is black and white(LIterally). and the fact that teachers wear regular clothes is unfair. at my school we even have a uniform for days when we have church and those shirts are even more uncomfortable.
    ive been in private schools my whole life so im sick and tired of uniforms and i want my individuality back.
    :sad:
    even if im judged, the people who judge me on what i wear are insecure and closemined(my opinion). plus it shouldnt matter what others think. at least thats my thoughts on it.

8. That guy!

That guy! Expecting Father

I went to the same high school as Neph and had to wear the same uniform for five years. I really didn't mind it, it was easy to find clothes to wear in the morning and it distinguished us from all of the other schools. In grade 9 they were really strict about having students tuck in their uniform shirts but they got rid of that a year later. But still, we couldn't wear shirts under our uniforms unless they were straight white, and our pants had to be in good condition too. Of course, the grade 9's never really liked the uniform but by the time I was in OAC I didn't even noticed that I was wearing it anymore. You get used to it in time..

A weird thing I noticed though: Whenever we had a dress down day the occurrence of fights increased by like 400% But then again, maybe some students noticed other students staring at their boyfriend or girlfriend on those days.. they did dress rather skimpy, of course since they probably wanted to wear something totally different from the uniform they were used to.

9. Billy277

Billy277 New Member

Wow, I never thought I'd be in the minority on this topic. :) Anyway, yeah, I've said repeatedly that I have a distaste for uniforms and I prefer being able to have my own fashion sense. It's not much, but it gives me that sense of being unique and everything. I wore striped T-shirts, shorts and sandals every day for thirteen years, from kindergarten through 12th grade. It was sort of its own uniform, but I had chosen it myself.

10. IlUvHaKkAi

IlUvHaKkAi New Member

I've tried sending in a new uniform idea to the principle that was basically the same but it had more of a modern twist. Of course my ideas were turned down. The main thing that i hate is that my individuality is taken away. So dont worry billy I'm in the minority too. :anime:

11. Billy277

Billy277 New Member

Heh, thanks for the support, IlUvHaKkAi. :) What are your uniforms like, and how did you want to change them?

12. D3vil's Anjil

D3vil's Anjil New Member

ah...uniforms...personally...i wouldnt mind wearing a uniform. Although I've never had to wear one I dont think id really care. I think it would be much easier for me as well as other people. I wouldnt have to worry about what to wear in the morning, or washing alot of clothes, or having to buy new ones all year long, and in some schools, there are people who tend to make fun of others because they dont wear the proper clotheing to be "cool" but with uniforms that wont happen as much. imo...your "individuality" shouldnt have to be shown through what you wear :)

13. IlUvHaKkAi

IlUvHaKkAi New Member

my uniforms are black shorts for girls or a girl gan wear a black and white(itchy) plad skorts. guys have to wear black pants or shorts from a place called sir walter. the shirts are white for everyone but the seniors. they wear yellow shirts. then on days when we have mass girls have to wear the skorts with itchy long sleeved collered(sp) shirts. boys have to wear pants with the same shirt. i wanted to change it to black pants or skirts for girls and white t shits with the school emblem. the boys would have the same pants and shorts as before plus the new shirts. the reason that girls cant waer skirts is because some juniors about 4 years back didnt wear anything under their skirts so now noone can wear can wear them. :anger2: so discusting!

14. Volt

Volt New Member

Hmmm.

Yes they do take away individuality but add a sense of professionality and make everyone seem more Equal. But then again Cloths say who you are. And what you like and what your style is.

It's not like school is the only place you can show off your style, but it's the only place where enough people your age are around to see you show off your style. I like diversity so I'll go with anti-uniform.

But some schools where there are just: white, middle-class, county teenagers who battle for popularity, a date, and a spot on the team of whatever. ->SOME<- not all, ->SOME<- schools like that should think a bit about trying out uniforms. Or maybe let you choose from a variety of uniforms. Sort of like GameBoy Advance, and all the colors.

Please don't get offended by my view of "County" school. I don't beleive all county schools are like that. I've been in one all my life, except for high-school I went to a city school and all I have to say was that It was the best Decision I've made in my life. Second best that is. My first chioce is apparent in my Sig. ... ... ...*thinks*... ... ... I might as well tell you. Running to God was the best thing ever. I've learned so much.

15. shippou

shippou New Member

16. Nephilim_X

Nephilim_X New Member

I do have to pose this question for everyone who is anti-uniform: What are you going to do when you get into the work force and, if not wear a uniform, must adhere to a strict dress code? Additionally, why is the aspect of clothing such an important part of individuality? Surely you place more importance on what you do, rather than how you look doing it, no?

Furthermore, it could be argued that even casual, non-uniform wear is in a sense uniform. How often have we seen blue jeans, a sports jersey, a backwards baseball cap and a few large pieces of jewellry acting as flair?

17. seraphinx

seraphinx Oy, Artista!

It's pretty simple I think--once they enter a strict work force, of course they'll wear what they have to wear. (Keeping a job is important.) And clothing is important towards individuality because other people DO judge others by what they wear. Majority of the people who'll judge you by your image won't have a chance to get to know the real you. So you might as well tell it to em in an instant when they glance at you, right? That's the power of image. If you've grown up in a school without uniforms, and have some care for taste, you'd know first-hand what it's like. People beating up other people just cuz of their race or physique, which would've been prevented if they simply dressed in a certain way (certain clothes)... those were the hardcore days! Despite being a skinny guy going to a school full of huge, stubbornly tough guys (in packs), no one ever messed with me. People respect a mean, tough-looking guy. I'm not even tough, but that's how dressing up works. Even out of school, we dress a certain way--that determines how many people we attract, how many fights we avoid, how many discounts we get at clubs, and most of all how much respect we get from everyone else. But of course, that's just how it is over here. Other places are different, but overall, dressing up still has some effect on the viewer. If not to show your true individuality, it'll at least give you the image you need.

I never wore uniforms, but I only starting picking my own clothes in early high school. And for me, my outfits did feel like uniforms anyway, especially cuz I grew up knowing that apparel needs attention. What I wore would put me into the mindset of going to school, being around peers, taking tests, etc. People remembered me by not just who I was, not just what I wore, but from both, since chosen clothing is seen as part of the personality.

But still yet, I can put on a uniform without protest, cuz there's nothing too bad about uniforms as long as they look decent.

EDIT: My old high school switched to "schoolwear" this year. It's basically just several t-shirts with school designs on them for the students to wear. I heard that the students voted against them, but the faculty approved them anyway. Well, looks like the future generations of boys there won't have the chance to check out their pretty classmates in spaghetti-strapped camisoles. (Very popular when I was there, since it was stylish and kept the girls cool in the tropical heat.)

18. Tanuki

Tanuki the wizzard of oz

exactly what was wrong with my old school's uniforms. Beautiful purple, aqua and black combo's. x_x.
    and i think uniforms are moving out of alot of work forces too. alot of businesses don't ware suits anymore.

19. seraphinx

seraphinx Oy, Artista!

Especially on this side of the continent! My social studies teacher told me that the east coast is relatively the most formal in attire, and that overall, people dress more casually going west across the USA. And here in Hawaii, cheap pants and a simple button down shirt is considered semi-formal already.

20. Meaikoh

Meaikoh See you later, Moderator

Having experienced both not having a uniform and being required to wear one, I feel that uniforms are a good thing for a school.

First of all, there is, of course, the fact that you don't have to spend more than 5 minutes getting dressed, because you know exactly what you're going to wear. Next of all, there is the mindset that a uniform gives. Why, I remember an episode of the Simpsons' where the students were required to wear a grey uniform...well, I'm sure most people recognize this episode. I think that the idea is that a student who is smartly (neatly, uniformly) dressed will act smartly. Now, I don't agree with that, but I can see the merit in the idea.

The uniform eliminates the competition to buy the latest in expensive fashion, but creates a new competition: shoes. Now, some school uniforms extend to the shoes, but it's not always easy to find sizes or fit special requirements, so for the most part, it's a matter of colour.

I guess that casual dress has its merits too. It allows a more relaxed atmosphere, and you can 'be yourself' through your clothes instead of actually opening your mouth and giving an opinion...^^;.

Well, in the end, I will say that I am for uniforms, with the occasional dress-down day thrown in.