Debate Uniforms

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Kos-Mos, Jan 7, 2004.

1. seraphinx

seraphinx Oy, Artista!

When students have to wear uniforms though, like my cousin's school, they do wear their own styles after school. So using uniforms doesn't really "eliminate" the competition for getting fancy clothes, cuz there's always a time and place for that kind of fashion.

I'm also for uniforms... especially if I get to design em! And I'd end up wanting to wear em even if I weren't a student.

2. *Fabee*

*Fabee* Retired

I used to hate my green uniform, but now I think uniforms are a great idea. Not everyone has the money nor the time to spend on shopping. People would be ridiculed for wearing the same thing everyday or even twice a week. So uniforms is a way to avoid these types of problems. The good thing about our school is that they give the girl more freedom to whether to tuck in her shirt or to wear a skirt or pants. We don’t have to wear skirts like other schools like zanza's - teehee ;P
    The only rule I didn’t like in school is sandals are not allowed .. >=(

3. kitty-ko

kitty-ko New Member

Hey guys im the new kitty on the block!
    Well here we all have to where uniform so ive never been able to experience going casual. But it seems to me that worrying about what you're wearing is an extra burden on a teenagers already burden riddled life. I go to a private school that costs more than its worth to attend, and while some people are worth millions there, others like me are in the normal range and have hard-working parents who struggle to send me there. I certainly couldn't afford a new outfit for every day of the month while some of my friend have a different one for each day of the year. With uniforms everyone is equal - yes their ugly and hot and you can see my bra through the blouse, but at least I'm comfortable!
    *kitty*

4. Yasuko

Yasuko I beg your pudding?

No uniforms for me. Why they are terrible:
    1.) They cost more money then regular clothes.
    2.) You wear the same thing everyday. Blah. You need several pairs of uniforms (which costs more moo lah...)
    3.) Anti self expression?!?! Never!
    4.) Face it, they are ugly. I have yet to see something a student looks decent and un-geeky in as far as "uniforms" go... ((I wouldn't mind Japanese school uniforms though, they're cute!))
    5.) You think it's gonna protect some kids from getting picked on? Right.
    6.) Uncomfortable
    7.) All the clothes you owned, well, you can't wear it anymore to school.
    8.) It's unfair and sudden. Schools have no right to just start making you wear them. It should be kept for private schools, in which you KNOW about them before you even start school there.
    9.) What’s the real reason for this? An average school full of students voted AGAINST having uniforms, so why have them?

This is just what I think. If my school ever starting having uniforms, I would either go against them (revolt!) or quit school!

5. IlUvHaKkAi

IlUvHaKkAi New Member

6. Zelgadis

Zelgadis New Member

It is pretty much to be expected that you would hold in disdain and resist that which refutes what you see as right and proper. What about segregation? The majority of the South was for it during the time from which it was in force, but that did not make it proper or right.

7. VM1070

VM1070 Let's Go Voltron Force

I have to agree 100% with this statement. Why should what you wear dictate what kind of person want to be around you.

If anything, I think uniforms help children to be more equal to each other growing up in school.

School is not a fashion show to show off how much more you have ovver the next person--It is a place to challenge your minds and learn.

I worn uniforms all through grammar school and then in high school. The students in my school were from all sorts of families and back rounds--there were never any problems with my class-mates. Everyone was treated equally.

I am very much in favor of uniforms in schools.......

Victor

8. Bookworm_42901

Bookworm_42901 New Member

I go to an all girls school from grade 7-12. our uniforms are Burgendy and Navy Blue (there nice but now I hate navy blue with a passion). I grade 7 & 8 they were stricked but in high school there not, just a "go change that shirt".

But the teachers get in trouble if the kids aren't in uni. but nose rings are not allowed at all most of the population has them, and their not afraid to suspend people. :sad: But the uni is good because my friends at the non-uni schools always get made fun of. an people look more at your personality

I don't have enough clothes to express my brain on the outside :sweat2:

9. Mordeth

Mordeth Mordeth Vult!

the only problem i had with my uniform was that it was horribly uncomfortable, freezing in winter and roasting in summer (dont' ask me how they managed this.. i'm sure there are many scientists who want to talk to the principal of my old school).. manky colours and just plain not nice.

it's not that difficult a concept, if you make a comfortable, (somewhat) fashionable uniform... people won't complain (well, some people will.. but they complain about everything)

10. Kain

Kain Plaything of Doom

The real problem with my uniform was that it was crap. lol.
    In the school that i went to there were two different styles of uniform's.
    For those that were in 1st - 3rd, year they had to wear a grey jumper. And it was the most horrable thing that you ever saw. We also had to wear grey trousers as well but they were a darker grey.
    For those in 4th - 5th year then the going was easy. Especally if you were in 4th year cause you could were casual clothes if you wanted. (i skiped 4th year thought) In 5th and 6th you had to wear a black jumper which was a lot cooler then the grey ones. We were supposed to wear the grey trousers as well but most people wore black trousers instead so in the end we all got away with wearing black jeans (even the girls) which were a lot more comfortable.
    So the way around uniforms is to were comfortable clothe that are the same colour as the uniform. And if nowbody notices then you can be comfortable lol.

11. Star Princess

Star Princess Haters are retarded.

I had to wear a uniform in the first semester of first grade (before I went to another school). It was ugly. So no, I don't like uniforms all that much. I think sailor uniforms are cute :catgirl: , but uniforms overall- blech.

12. psyeudkev

psyeudkev New Member

In high school we had neckties - awful ... especially in hot (and *humid*) climates. Students shouldn't need to bear high temperatures in the course of studies. That affects education levels imho :)

On the other hand, uniforms make it easier (much much) to catch those playing truant and those *thoughtful* enough to sip coffee in a nearby coffeeshop... IN their uniforms during school hours.

13. Saiyan ChiChi

Saiyan ChiChi New Member

I graduated from high school already and never had to wear a uniform. I am kind of against uniforms.

I wouldn't mind the Japanese style school uniforms (like the one Kagome wears on Inuyasha, just not as short)

14. Dr. Nick Rivera

Dr. Nick Rivera New Member

If I had to wear a uniform, I would kill myself. /exagerration.

But seriously, that would take everything overtly and visually individual from me. Everyone would be exactly the same. Sounds like Nazis. Maybe they'll make us dye our hair blond and get blue contacts while we're at it.

/exagerration. Again.

15. Ryu-Ki

Ryu-Ki New Member

When I was in Middle school we had to whare Uniform one year, I say one year because it didn't last a week.