Video Games Video Games the great debate

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by UrashimaKeitaro, Jan 25, 2002.

1. UrashimaKeitaro

UrashimaKeitaro Sesquipedalian Mod

Let there be questioning!

What is your favorite genre of video game?
    In that genre, what is your favorite game?
    How much, per week do you play said game?

-UK
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Jumping the gun, all over again

2. MamiyaOtaru

MamiyaOtaru President Bushman

First Person Shooters probably
    Favourite among those is currently Deus Ex.
    I might spend about 5 hours a week playing it, but that is only because I have already beaten it. Before I did, I played it a little more obsessively :)

Close behind are Return to Castle Wolfenstein (for the moment) Half Life, Jedi Knight, Unreal Tournament, etc.

Privateer is right up there though, despite not being an fps.

3. UrashimaKeitaro

UrashimaKeitaro Sesquipedalian Mod

Forgot to post mine.. heh heh:D

anyhow, Genre: currently RPG's or RTS. but FPS may take over soon
    Game: New Horizons on SNES emulator. Deus Ex is becoming a presence again on my time though.
    Time: 2-3 hours a week, on any particular game... I'm an Engineering student, I have no time.

-UK
    ~~~~~~~~~~~
    is almost ready to storm off and play CS again.. if only my internet worked properly...

4. GentatsuNoZanshi cc61

Well, for a genre I have to go with RPG's, or RTS's or FPS's or racing, or fighting ... what can I say? I love 'em all. Really, my favourite type of game is whatever I handy at the moment. I really have to keep true to my roots (going waaaay back to when BakaMattSu and I used to sit around in our basements playing Nintendo) and say my favourite style of game is RPG. I've been hooked since playing Final Fantasy on the NES or this weird text-based game my uncle used to have.
    My favourite RPG is either Final Fantasy IX, Final Fantasy X or Chrono Cross. FFIX has one of the best plots ever, FFX has the best voice acting I've ever seen (or heard, I guess), plus great acting and intriguing characters and plot. Chrono Cross is just extremely fun, and easy to get into real fast.
    All in all, though, my favourite games are, without a doubt, The Bouncer, Gran Turismo 3 and the aforementioned RPG's, in no particular order. The Heroes of Might and Magic series has to go in there somewhere too, but I don't play them too often anymore.
    If you can't tell by the fact that I can't decide on a favourite game, I really can't say how much time I spend playing them in a typical week. I generally put in between two and ten hours of gameplay between my PS2 and PC, depending on if I'm up to anything around town or I'm just sitting at home. Right now, I've been able to put more time in at my leisure because all I have to do is balance between driving lessons and studying for exams. The rest is just spare time. If I wasn't in Strathroy, maybe I could do something with it ...
    Suffice it to say that I'm not really the "hard core gamer"-type, but I do know the value of a good game.

5. Meaikoh

Meaikoh See you later, Moderator

RPGs

Genre: RPG!!!
    Fave Game: Chrono Cross or FFIX or another probably made by Squaresoft game.
    How much time: I only play it 10 or 12 hours a day. ;) No, about, hmm, carry the two...12 hours a week.
    Chrono Cross really makes you think. So many spoilers I would love to put down! Even at the end you aren't quite sure what happened. In Drama class we were writing our own stuff and I was like, well "Ok, let's put a temporal distortion that takes us back to old Ireland with these big mobile suits that are part-super-saiyan." :D

6. Mordeth

Mordeth Mordeth Vult!

my fav genre is prob RTS or FPS , fave game would have to be Battlezone (Which is a mix of the two genres) or age of empires,
    i never really got into rpg's, too much thinking involved :), i used to play for an hour or so a day, but my keyboard broke recently and it's alot of hassle having to control everything with the mouse.

7. Suzu

Suzu 7th Seat Shinigami

SQUARE SQUARE AND ONLY SQUARE!!!

fav genre: RPG's, survivial horror, fighting, adventure

fave games: Believe me I ENJOY every game developed by Square.... ;) FINAL FANTASY :D is my only and will be the only RPG series I support and love. Tekken and Resident evil are the other two series that I enjoy playing.
    how much per week: I keep playing at weekends and vacations. I can't play at school days.

8. DrunkLeprachaun

DrunkLeprachaun Tetsu Oushi

Genre: RPG's
    Game: Final Fantsy VII
    Hrs per week: I haven't played FFVII in a while, but I spend around 15 hours a week playing games, mainly Tales Of Phantasia, Breath Of Fire III and Point Blank at the moment.

9. BakaMattSu

BakaMattSu ^__^
    Staff Member

Fave Genre: RPG (Though FP tags in and out at times)
    Fave Series/Games: Final Fantasy, Quest for Glory (Jedi Knight, Thief, X-Men:Children of The Atom, Mortal Kombat Trilogy, BasicRace :p)
    Time/Week (Any Games): Right now about 2-3 hours...in heavy workload right now, plus my computer is very antiquated so I haven't seen any new games for quite some time...

BakaMattSu, let the signatures run rampant once more!

10. MamiyaOtaru

MamiyaOtaru President Bushman

just a couple months more before Jedi Knight 2 appears :) Basicrace 2 may take a little longer hehe
    Funny to see it on anyone's favourite games list :D

11. GentatsuNoZanshi cc61

Re: SQUARE SQUARE AND ONLY SQUARE!!!

I read this post, and I was going to do one of my old-accustomed rants about all the problems I have with Squaresoft and how their games get built up way bigger than they really are, and how they're not as good as many think they are, but then it occurred to me. While the games may not be as good as they are said to be, the ones that are worse are cancelled out by the ones that are pure gold, such as the Final Fantasy series. I just have to love these guys, and while I don't like to admit it, I have to be honest and say that I have in the past bought games by them just because of their name on the cover. Not to say that these games disappointed me, with The Bouncer and Final Fantasy Tactics both being favourites of mine ...

Anyway, I'm getting into a pro-Squaresoft rant now, and that's just too weird for me, so I'm gonna shut up now.

12. Mr. Potts

Mr. Potts New Member

My favorite genre: RPG
    Favorite RPG: Lufia for the SNES
    I completed Lufia a few years back, but I *am* playing "Breath of Fire" on the Gameboy Advance, about 10 hours a week. :D

Also play shooters, puzzlers (non-Tetris), and SIM games. I pretty much like everything!

-barry

13. GentatsuNoZanshi cc61

Wasn't Lufia just rereleased for the GBC? That's what I heard from my sister, and she is also a big fan of that game.

14. Meaikoh

Lufia

I like Lufia for my SNES but the fact that she got mad because I didn't want any cinnamon pie sorta threw me. Just kidding, it's cool and they even have a little village called Chatham!

15. GentatsuNoZanshi cc61

Well, there used to even be two Chathams in Ontario, until a few years ago, in fact. They changed the name to something or other ... can't recall what. There's one in Alberta too, methinks. And there's the Chatham Islands, and there's one in England, I am told ... Chathams everywhere ...

Here's some trivia for you: Did you know they put Strathroy in an Earthworm Jim game? Oh wait ... that was Hell ... no, it was Strathroy ... Maybe both?

16. Meaikoh

Too true

Yeah, my school still has an old map. There was Chatham, Ontario and Chatham, New Brunswick or Nova Scotia (forget which).
    Lufia 2 has the characters that were supposed to have defeated the Sinistrals in the first place, so it's like back in time :confused: :confused: :confused:

17. GentatsuNoZanshi cc61

Yeah, Lufia 2 was the whole prequel idea. I never really liked the first game myself, but the second was pure gold.

18. BakaMattSu

BakaMattSu ^__^
    Staff Member

On the subject of Lufia...

Never a series to disappoint me... never finished any of them though!

As I step into this conversation, I make the following contributions:

-A Lufia was recently released on GBC (Lufia 3!)
    -Yes, there's a town 'Chatam' in Lufia, most likely named after the city in England
    -Order of timeline (Lufia2->Lufia->Lufia3) since Lufia happens after the sequel (why must people continually insist on making prequels?)

BakaMattSu, that said, he has nothing else to say about Lufia...

19. KaMeKaZi

KaMeKaZi Insanity$%#

is it just me or are the old games of sega and Nintendo, Super Nintendo a lot better then the new stuff they put out now a days.. Or am I just an Oldschool kind of person!

!!!!!!!!!

20. Meaikoh

You're right

Kamekazi, you're right. Apart from cuter characters and better graphics, old stuff is kewler. There is some exceptions, however.