Debate War: Necessity or Nuisance?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Orion, Dec 29, 2005.

1. Orion

Orion Gears

As the title states, is war really necessary? I actually think that, in some instances, war is necessary. Most world leaders think that war is to kind of keep people in line and make sure that they don't nuke each other. On the other hand, war is terrible. People die, families mourn when they lose their 18 year old son, car bombs, missles, threats, beheadings, torture. Everything that results when war starts.

Discuss.

2. Chane

Chane Audience of One

Eh, something tells me that if we didn't already have war, then someone would start it. Kind of reminds me of a Voltaire quote...

"If God did not exist, it would be necessary to invent Him."

Eh, sorry, I don't really have much more contribution than that. Yeah, it's an "evil", per se. Lots of bad **** comes out of it... but sometimes some good **** comes out of it.

3. Peachy

Peachy ☆liberal HMod☮

hmmmmm some people do things that others don't like or don't agree with. Thats life we're human. And yes I have a few people kin to me fighting for us right now, so I know how it feels to be scared of them dying, But if everyone was thinking that its not worth sending the men and women over to fight than we'd all be stepped on. Its either fight back or die. and id rather fight back sorry. ITS a necassity in my point of view..to get a point across or to fight if we're pushed to that limit.

1 person likes this.
  4. Hitohiro

Hitohiro Angel of Wind

War, unfortunately, is a natural part of life. It has to happen because everyones views are different or people are hungry for power. The balance of good evil is unbalanced and thus war occurs, though it's hard to say which is more powerful.

5. Rai Konoko

Rai Konoko New Member

There has been a post similar to this before, i said that war is natural... Which it is, animals fight all the time, but is it necesary? In some cases yes, and in others no.

6. geishaboy

geishaboy New Member

Conflict, arguments and fights are a natural part of life. War as WE know it is nothing more than a Nuisance.

7. Ангел вчера

Ok, I do believe war is a neccesity, for two reasons, and nuisance for one.
    1. War... how can I say this as nicely as possible?... ... it is a major, major method of population control. Can you imagine how many billions more people there would be if we didn't have wars, people dying and all that? I am not saying it is a good thing countless people have died from it, but if we didn't have wars think of how over crowded and how used up the planets recources would be, billions more driving, needed eletricity, natural gas and all. We would be seriously be running out of room and breathable air.
    2. War is good for the economy, well not recently... the whole Iraq thing and all, but think of it. More military equiptment is needed, so more plants open up which creates more jobs. People spend more money... it all helps the economy, unless you're losing the war and getting obliterated and invaded and everything blown up. But for the winning nations, it is overall good for the economy.

1. Nuisence because of all the death, dirty bombs and civilians and children dying. It can put you in serious debt if you just waste money on stupid wars that we don't need. Like this Iraq deal, why? There was no reason for America to get involved. Now, I don't know what it was like having Hussein as a dictator but was America directly threatened? NO! It was that Giant A**hole Bush's fault. Now as far as I can tell, what have we accomplished? Let me see, we blew trillions of dollars out the window fighting 'terrorists', we crumpled a whole country, gotten thousands of American troops killed for no reason, we're still paying(or atleast I am)2.40 for the 87 octane gas while I heard they are paying .60 cents a gallon. What. it costs a buck eighty to bring a gallon of gas here? We are the most hated country in the world. Oh, and we still have huge f*cking problems here in America.

Sorry, I can go on all day about how I hate the government and what they have turned America into. I guess I didn't really explain the nuisance part and if I try to do it again it will sound about the same. My two cents...

8. Zanza

Zanza .Net-ing & PHP-ing~*
    Staff Member

A very big Nuisance.. its so useless.. there is no outcome from it, and if there was, the losses are more than the benefits :)

War is only a necessity when defending your own coutry, at most, your neighbour country.. Like the gulf war, when Iraq issued the war against Kuwait, and the whole GCC countries helped Kuwait against Iraq. Though I am not sure why the US helped as well, were they invited or not, but I have to double check this thing..

(The GCC countries are like one country devided into 6 parts, thanks to the UK invasion many years ago :p)

9. Chane

Chane Audience of One

What about the American Revolutionary War? Was that wrong?

10. Rai Konoko

Rai Konoko New Member

War, as far as i am concerned, is a necessity. It keeps those, lets say, dodgey countries in line, and funnily enough, since people fear war it has actually been keeping the piece, same applies to nukes.

The war on iraq was pointless, but i wasn't against it, as far as i care Saddam needed a good ass kicking.

11. Warsaw Pact

Warsaw Pact New Member

"But war has its own particular characteristics and in this sense it cannot be equated with politics in general. "War is the continuation of politics by other . . . means." When politics develops to a certain stage beyond which it cannot proceed by the usual means, war breaks out to sweep the obstacles from the way.... When the obstacle is removed and our political aim attained the war will stop. But if the obstacle is not completely swept away, the war will have to continue till the aim is fully accomplished.... It can therefore be said that politics is war without bloodshed while war is politics with bloodshed."-Chairman Mao

12. Orion

Orion Gears

Uh, yeah. Yeah it was, to answer your question. War is war. If I may quote something from the Space Marine Codex...

"Brother faught brother, and warriors that stood shoulder to shoulder now faught in battle."

I edited a little bit of the last part because there is no Emperor in real life. :p

13. Nightmare

Nightmare Chaos Rules

If we really think about it could we actually survive on this earth without war? As Ангел вчера said best if we didn't have wars then the population on the earth would be drastically different. Food shortages and determaination of countries will deterorate without war. If we think hard about war then true it is a nuiscance but can the lessons for the ones that actually fightthe battles be more valuable then thier life without it? how does humanity as a whole fight each other so blindly that it creates pain sorrow and regret, yet it also creates a solid tie between the two nations if they can compramise after the war and become more of allies then of enemies. If we see War can bring us closer to people then any thing else...that requires violence.

14. KaMeKaZi

KaMeKaZi Insanity$%#

funny thing is.. I dont suport war.. But it keeps at this moment in time.. I build War machines... No joke..

look up the Stryker units.. AKA LAV III

15. Chance

Chance Admitted Pokemon Fan.

War is both. It's a destroyer and a bringer of change. Most hate it more then they know yet admit it is needed at times. Now though, if we ever have another major war, it will end life as we know it. it'll be nuclear and it will be short. A few A bombs, a few H bombs and bam! We're gone.

16. Orion

Orion Gears

The nuclear threats are the reason war needs to stop. If we continue to wage war, which, at this point, seems inevitable, we will develop weapons capable of wiping out the world with one blast. Eventually, we will. God help us all.

17. Warsaw Pact

Warsaw Pact New Member

True except for this: Wars only use is to kill, opress, and plunder. It has had little other use. The Great Patriotic War was started by Nazi Germany only to kill and opress for example.

Wrong. War is decided on people. Yes the nuclear weapons are a weapons of mass slaughter. However wars are decided on armies, air forces, and navies. Nuclear weapons are weapons of terror, they are made to scare the enemy. Guns are weapons of war. They are made to kill the enemy.

18. wertitis

wertitis Proud Mary keep on burnin'

Hmm, this is a lot to take in. Frankly, from my standpoint, not many of us here seem to fully grasp the concept of war. I'm inclined to say that Warsaw has the most down to earth view of what war really is. His quote above strikes the nail right on the head.

War is politics with bloodshed.

Take the word of someone who's actually been to war- You can't classify something like this as simply as "Necessity or Nuisance". When you take into account the sheer impact of killing even ONE person, war is something more substantial that you give it credit for. You guys are talking about it like its something as insignificant as an insect that's simply pestering you.

"It's such a nuisance to that people are killing each other overseas, and we have to pay over $2.50 for gas over here."

War is something very real. It's not a game, it's not a movie, it's not a 50 second sound byte on the news. People are killing one another for motives most of us will never understand, much less even begin to grasp. As long as two human beings have different opinions of the same subject there will always be war.

War is a nightmare, built into our very genes.

I'm not going to say that war should never happen. I'm not that Naive. Instead when there is war, it should be fought for the right reasons. One shouldn't seek war, but in the same breath we shouldn't shun it. The "Right Reason" to fight is different for everyone, and perhaps that in of itself is what leads us to conflict.

War is neither a necessity or a nuisance, it's something much greater than that. To try and classify it under such woefully inadequate terms is petty of ourselves.

Let me put it this way- Would you consider it a Necessity or Nuisance to shoot and kill your next door neighbor because he's said some things that threatened you?

Take that question and multiply it on a much grander scale. That is war.

~W

19. Samurai Me

Samurai Me New Member

War is necessary because without war their would be no peace,and whithout
    peace their would be nothing but war.

20. Rai Konoko

Rai Konoko New Member

um i dont think what is said in a totally fictional game has anything to do with war at all, lets put it this way for you ... what HASNT war solved, lets see I'll start with what it has solved, Nazi's were wiped out as a result, almost all communism, Hitler, suppose Saddam falls under it. There are even more aswell, I'll post again with the rest of 'em, in the mean time you can inform us of what war hasn't solved, and don't come up with some liberarty bull crap like it hasn't solved poverty or something.
    Oh and btw, it's fought not faught