Martial Arts What weapons can you use?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Samurai Me, Apr 16, 2006.

1. Samurai Me

Samurai Me New Member

What weapons can those who have been trained in the martial arts use? I am just curious to see what and how many people here can use weapons.

I can use one or two swords and a staff. How about you?

2. Lance Leingod

Lance Leingod The White Blade

I can use one or two swords pretty well but I've not had an formal training. I'm trying to find a good place to learn how to use them but I'm not getting much luck. I can also use a staff but again, no formal training.

3. Hitokiri_Gensai

Hitokiri_Gensai Gunslinger Girl

long and short Japanese Swords, bo and jo staff, and jutte

4. Seishin

Seishin Guest

I pwn3d the staff, since I practiced on it way too much, especially trying to make a jedi fight.

I'm also good in handling a sword.

Not the flashy kind, regular, light weight, straight up pointy sword :p

-Seishin

5. Soitsu

Soitsu Flame Alchemist!

Can anyone say PLASTIC...i like swords but really real swords are too heavy...plus if i have a plastic one I can beat them till they can't stand up...but with a real sword they'll be gone in a few seconds...:sweat2:

6. Hitokiri_Gensai

hrm....well the idea of kendo and fencing today is to uphold the ideals of the sword and using a sword means wielding the weight and power of a sword through years of practice.

7. Samurai Me

Samurai Me New Member

Indeed Gensai indeed. I have been weilding real swords for two years now. At first Soitsu, they were heavy and I got tired fast, but now I can use them easly without tiring for awhile. Its all in how much training and dedication you put into it how heavy it will be to you.

8. shinigami

shinigami The Dark Prince

I have a little trainning with throwing knives and stars not much but enough, also I can use some unconventional items as defensive weapons or offensive weapons.

9. headstrong

headstrong New Member

I was trianed from my greatgranda, he showed me how to use a short sword and a long sword..after he died my mother made me stop. but later when another death happend i trained my self so that way i would not go crazy, i can now do to swords, bow, throwing knives and stars, and anything elsa i put my mind to. its realy funny thow with all that fighting ive done there is only one person that can still get me when im not looking. i am looking for someone that is realy good so i can hone my skills got any you all know?

always in darkness
    alexzandra

10. Ashika

Ashika This thing is so short...

Throwing darts with my dad when I was little, really increased my accuracy in throwing anything of most weights. So give me a throwing weapon man. I also whacked ppl with stick when I was little, so I use the quarter staff...Go MARRY YOU CHICKEN!!!! GAHH
    -ashika

11. Alchemy_Dude

Alchemy_Dude is addicted to bad ideas.

I've dabbled in fencing, but only Sabre. I like the heavier sword, plus you can hit anywhere above the waist, with the side of the sword.

12. Hitokiri_Gensai

hrm lately ive been immersing myself in kyudo... and im hoping to start learning to shoot from horseback.... my riding skills are TERRIBLE tho.... at any rate ive become quite proficient in kyudo.

hrm im also hoping to get a yari and shorten it to became a short yari (3 to 4 foot pole rather than a 6 foot pole)

13. rhalah

rhalah New Member

I use Katana, Ninjatu and Wood Sword. Sometimes, i use a Long Spear, but i like Long Sword.

14. Hitokiri_Gensai

hrm you do realize that its Ninjato, and that it doesnt exist as a real weapon and is actually structurally weaker than a true Nihontou.

15. Hitokiri Tenma

Hitokiri Tenma New Member

I can use two katanas, shuriken, staff, and bow. I never had any formal training in the staff. I can't find anybody willing to teach me.

16. Samurai Me

Samurai Me New Member

Wowee lots of people lol I have just started learning to throw knifes and shurikens. But as far as a bow I have been shooting a traditional recurve bow since I was small. My father taught me since we do alot of hunting and I can about hit anything you want me to with a bow. I thought the ninjato was used by the ninja? I have seen it before in a weapons store not far from here...actually its more like a convention.

17. Hitokiri_Gensai

the word ninjato, simply means ninja sword, but as far as historical evidence goes, the ninja didnt use a weapon that was straight and short like hollywood would have us believe.

18. Lance Leingod

Lance Leingod The White Blade

That's strange, I've never heard that before. What I've heard is that they do use them. Is it only one type of ninja uses them or as a whole, they don't use them?

19. Hitokiri_Gensai

nope, there is no historical evidence of a short straight sword called a ninjato.

The ninja or shinobi used the same weaponry as the samurai. however, certain weapons would be more useful in certain situations, they might carry a short sword or perhaps a yari. but there is no historical evidence of a straight short sword labelled the ninjato.

basicly that straight bladed sword you see in store windows is inaccurate in both real ninjutsu and history.

20. Samurai Me

Samurai Me New Member

Gensai has a good point (Which he has mentioned many times before) Why would the Ninja (Shinobi) switch from a curved Nihontou to some straight peace of crap. Although I must admit that stright peace of crap is good for prying things. But its far weaker than a Nihontou. A Ninjato if thats what ya wanna call it,could not pass the tests that the Nihontou has passed.