Saber Marionette Who is the most underrated character?

Discussion in 'Manga and Anime' started by BakaMattSu, Jan 16, 2003.

1. BakaMattSu

BakaMattSu ^__^
    Staff Member

Lime grabs a lot of spotlight, many feel sorry for Hanagata or plain despise him, Bloodberry often grabs the attention of many hentai-minded otakus...

But who in SMJ has been descredited as far as you're concerned? Many characters abound that are deserving of recognition and have depth, but are just overrun by some of the more vibrant or noticable characters.

So, let's talk about the underdogs of SMJ...

2. Nephilim_X

Nephilim_X New Member

Probably seems obvious, but I think Cherry is under-rated. She's sweet, kind, loving...

And she isn't a cold fish. Hell, I don't see how anyone could say that given that she fantasizes so much.

3. kapitanbar

kapitanbar Member

Kazahari!

The owner of the Kazahari apartments!. He only appears once at the very beginning (when Otaru returns from jail) and his apartments are set on fire at least twice :p

4. c0ke

c0ke New Member

I can name quite a few:

The residents of Kasahari Apartments (Everyone but Otaru and Gennai) You don't even get to know their names (Well everyone but the one with the umbrella, Kasa but still)

Hanagata's gang of ruffians, also their names are unknown (except pinsuke) They don't appear on J again and J to X

Luchs and Panther, they show a lot about Tiger, what about Luchs and Panther, they deserve a story too don't they?

Baiko and Tamasaburo, they have major roles on the first series, but a basically dusted off by most fans, and they have almost no role on J again and J to X

5. luvweaver

luvweaver Ad Jesum per Mariam

I'd vote for Ponta-kun.

Meow! :3

Now letme see... yeah i think Cherry deserved more attention. But I'd also like Lorelei to be a more important character of JtoX.

She should've been given a more important role than just the Marionettes' doctor.

6. Sachiko

Sachiko happy SMJ shoujo ^_^

I believe Cherry is kind of underrated too :( If you noticed, in J, Lime takes most of the focus; in J Again, the Saber Dolls and Marine are the ones to learn a lot; in J to X, a great character developement in Bloodberry, and she does a lot of thinking too.

I think the Kasahari folks deserve some more too! They did play some big parts after all. They helped carrying the giant chess pieces in J, and they helped searching for Lorelei in J to X ep.11.

7. kapitanbar

kapitanbar Member

Don't forget Cherry and Kotaru!

In one of the most touching episodes of J to X, Cherry takes care as a mother for a baby clone. The end of this episode touched me too deeply.

Cherry is not underrated, her character it's not very developed, as it happens with bloodberry in J to X.

The pontas are also underrated, yes, don't miss a wise ponta kun riding on the roof of a tramway and painting a sumi-e like picture to show were was the new sabel-berg, (zauberberg?) and Lorelei.

8. kapitanbar

kapitanbar Member

Luchs and panther deserve more lines in this drama as well. At one of the lasts episodes of J Faust tells Luchs to go with Baiko and Tamasaburo, and He tells her "please, don't die and come back". Luchs weeps for the very first time. It's another touching moment for this series full of such moments.

Panther!, she deserves more for such a free will spirit of a girl of simple words. I like the way she ends up having a strange relationship with Hanagata at the end of J to X. ;)

9. Sachiko

Sachiko happy SMJ shoujo ^_^

Soemon Obiichi is a little underrated too ;_; After couple appearance in J, we don't know whatever happened to or hear from him anymore!

10. BakaMattSu

BakaMattSu ^__^
    Staff Member

Agreements & Disagreements

Well, there's been enough feedback for the topic starter to have his say on the replies, ne?

AGREE

Soemon - Yes, this I do agree on. He never actually gets any focus until his true loyalties are revealed, and following that he never is heard from again. Obiichi saw some excellent development, and then it got tossed out the window. Because of this, he tends to be overshadowed by everyone else.

DISAGREE

Cherry - I agree that of the three marionettes, Cherry grabs the lowest favortism in the fan pool. I can probably safely say it is due to the fact that she stands out the least in the crowd. Where Lime is ecstatic, and Bloodberry is overbearing, Cherry is far more reserved, quiet, and overlooked. In all of SMJ, though, she is hardly overrated, still having a large fan following.

Kasahari Apartments Squad, Hanagata's Ruffians - I must agree they didn't get much spotlight, but I disagree that they were underrated. They played their role, and that's pretty much that. Sure, we could explore their lives and characters more in-depth (and maybe get some really good stories out of it), but when it comes down to it, they were extras in all respects right from the very start - Not everyone can be a main character, after all.

Luchs and Panther - These two really took a backseat to Tiger, which is why its great to see they still have a good following of fans. While they could use some development, I don't think that's affected their ratings - which is why they don't fit in the overrated category.

Ponta-Kuns - These border on almost overrated, to be honest. What fan can resist these cute bundles of fur? How many episodes have included gratuitous ponta shots and scenes? :D These guys are in the clear!

Lorelei - She gets nearly no airtime in J, but really becomes the focus of the whole story - she also grabbed the main attention in early J to X. Perhaps the only series I personally see Lorelei as underrated in would be J Again.

I still think you guys could pull a few more underrated characters out of the mix...keep at it :p

11. c0ke

c0ke New Member

I goota add a character:

Folks from Gartland/Germania mainly Michael/Mickey (M-I-C-K-E-Y M-O-U-S-E, heh Full Metal Jacket, heh...) and his grandfather

12. InuYasha

InuYasha New Member

If you want to think about it another way,the Pontas are the chocobos of SMJ.

InuYasha - Wark! Wark!

13. kapitanbar

kapitanbar Member

I was thinking about this "underrated character" issue now that I've rewatched J to X in japanese,..one of the most underrated characters is Kiko, that otome-less marionette that appears only once in phase #1 splashing water at the walls of a house, from where Lime makes her hiten-delivery-girl job

14. c0ke

c0ke New Member

I think Kiko was more of a waste of time then an underrated character. I mean come on what do you expect from her? All she could do was splash water and say hello in a very deadpan expression.

15. UFOtaku

UFOtaku Wachu loorkin at?!

It's all about Lime! I think that Cherry should play a bigger role definatley. And I think it's kinda sad, how she cares so much about Otaru, and she's so ignored. Of course, I try not to complain too much about Lime, since I have to admit, I act so much liek her personality-wise, (not online, anyway). ^_^

16. lokilon

lokilon New Member

cherry is the under dog of the seris
    :glazed: but then again soemon is worse

17. lokilon

lokilon New Member

soemon most definitaly

18. SaberJ2X

SaberJ2X Moderator
    Staff Member

stop spamming or you'll get yourself banned... be warned

19. korimon

korimon New Member

cherry is underrated to me :anger2:

20. Reisti Skalchaste

Reisti Skalchaste New Member

As long as we're reviving ancient threads, how about this one? Why not give it a sticky since it's one that people will likely want to see and post on?

Personally, I think Cherry could use a boost. She does tend to melt into the background, despite her bright-pink clothing. I think it's her personality. She's the kind, quiet type who does tend to get pushed into the background a lot. In fact, there's a website about those types of characters.

Here it is.