Saber Marionette Who is the most underrated character?

Discussion in 'Manga and Anime' started by BakaMattSu, Jan 16, 2003.

1. luvweaver

luvweaver Ad Jesum per Mariam

Well, If the creators of the series made them more than 25 chapters each - perhaps 50, who knows?

Not fair! Why do stupid monster-fighting animes get about 100 episodes per season, while the really good ones only get 25? not fair!! :anger: :mad:

But yes... Cherry would need more stuff. But I think that the real problem with it, is that there would have to be a GOOD REASON for it.

Because ranting or getting depressed about how "Otaru can't be mine", and always fantasizing about him... well it gets kinda boring, don't you think?

For Cherry to appear more, we would need a plot device. Who knows - maybe involving Kotaru more, i really have no idea.

So for you fanfic writers or cherry-fans, what would the original series need for Cherry to appear more? Start giving ideas! :anime:

2. MamiyaOtaru

MamiyaOtaru President Bushman

Have you noticed how much series like that drag? Give SMJ 150 episodes and it would drag too. Filler episodes anyone? 25 seemed just about right for this one. Be glad it wasn't 13.

I think you are getting cause and effect mixed up here :) It's not that Cherry gets little screen time because she has little to say, it more like Cherry only says / does a few things because she gets little screen time. With more time devoted to her, I think it follows that we would get to know her better.

Now to reconcile the second half of my post with the first.. want more time so we can see Cherry more VS. more time would make the show drag ;) A compromise then. No 50 episodes, just a few more for Cherry :D

3. luvweaver

luvweaver Ad Jesum per Mariam

Oh come on. You really can't compare DBZ with SMJ. The concepts are SO different. And anyway, once you've seen a battle anime season you've seen all. But SMJ is SO MUCH different.

[/QUOTE]
    I think you are getting cause and effect mixed up here :) It's not that Cherry gets little screen time because she has little to say, it more like Cherry only says / does a few things because she gets little screen time. With more time devoted to her, I think it follows that we would get to know her better.[/QUOTE]

Um... like? Any ideas? :)

[/QUOTE]Now to reconcile the second half of my post with the first.. want more time so we can see Cherry more VS. more time would make the show drag ;) A compromise then. No 50 episodes, just a few more for Cherry :D[/QUOTE]

Well, let's make this fair. 37 episodes. But then Bloodberry would get underrated. So it's 50 then ^_^

Oh, wait! We forgot the Saber Dolls, so that makes it 60. And if we want to see more Lorelei, it would be 70.

But wait! Don't forget Ponta-kun! 75 then, yay! :D

*daydreams like Cherry* aaaaaaah yes.... more chapters, please, more! ... :D

4. Reisti Skalchaste

Reisti Skalchaste New Member

Hey, let's not go overboard! DBZ, it's true, does drag on interminably, and it's vaguely possible for SMJ to have, also.

But with just 25 episodes, the series felt... I don't know, right. I think, if it had any more, it wouldn't be as dramatic in the final episodes, and it wouldn't be as interesting to watch. If it had only 13, It would seem rushed. I mean, they were only completely introduced after episode 6! That would be half the series gone with nothing but introducing them!

I think SMJ is perfect with 25 episodes. It's full, but not bursting, and not too empty either. Although, after finishing J to X, it does leave us fans wishing there were more.

I think, perhaps, they could give Cherry more attention with just the time they had.

On another note, remember the Marionette contest? They showed Lime's, Tiger's, Luch's, and Panther's scores in the first round, but not Cherry or Bloodberry's. I had to switch it to English to figure out that Cherry got 46 points in round one, and Bloodberry got 45.

So, at the end of the second round, Cherry was leading with 96 points, then Lime with 89, Tiger with 80, Bloodberry with 51, Panther with 44, and Luchs with 16. I wonder who won the third? (Iceboard race, then scavenger hunt)

5. Black Robed One

Black Robed One New Member

While I am a die-hard Cherry fan, and thus I would definitely like to see more of Cherry, I don’t really think that Cherry is the most underrated character of the series. Sure, Cherry gets least spotlight, but this is probably indeed because of Cherry's personality; as Shinryu-san rightly said, she is kind and quiet, and this kind of characters rarely attract much attention from the fans. And so, my opinion is that Cherry get least spotlight among Otaru's marionettes not because she gets least screentime (IMHO, Cherry and Bloodberry got more or less the same amount of screentime), but because of her personality (which, on the other hand, is the reason why Cherry is my favorite anime character).

IMHO, for Cherry to be given more spotlight (in a fanfictional story, for example), Cherry must either be separated from Lime and Bloodberry (either literally, or she will decide to take different course of action, like it happened in Program 08 of Saber Marionette J to X), or three of them must be forced into the situation where Cherry will be forced to take a leading role (like it happened in Program 09 of Saber Marionette J); otherwise it will always be either Lime or Bloodberry who will take the leading role and naturally getting most spotlight, and Cherry will be more or less content about this.

Okay, returning to the topic's main question (Who is the most underrated character?)…

Luchs und Panther

IMHO, two of them got LEAST development among marionettes equipped with Maiden Circuits. Alright, they were never supposed to be main characters of the series, but unlike them, Tiger was developed about on the same level as Cherry and Bloodberry. I cannot shake off the feeling, that even Marine, who was given only a few OVA episodes, was developed better then Luchs and Panther. Luchs and Panther's "inferior" to Tiger role is even more obvious then Cherry and Bloodberry's "inferior" to Lime role. And, IMHO, both Luchs and Panther are very interesting characters, who definitely deserve more screentime and development.

Marine

IMHO, it's alright that Marine was actually given only a few OVA episodes; after all, she would eventually (and probably rather soon, considering her maturing rate) break down even if she wouldn't sacrifice herself for the sake of Terra II. And in the few OVA episodes Marine was given, she was developed rather well, IMHO, almost on the same level as Cherry, Bloodberry and Tiger.

So, why do I consider her underrated character?

Simply because after Marine sacrificed herself to save the whole Terra II, everybody (surprisingly, the only exception is Hanagata, who later mentioned that there was in fact seven marionettes equipped with Maiden Circuits, that's as much remembrance as Marine ever gets!) just forgot that Marine ever existed! It's understandable that her friends don't wish to speak much about her as it will only make them sad, but they could at least mention her a couple of times, and people of Japoness (and of all the other city-states too; she saved THE WHOLE Terra II, remember?) could at least bother to make a statue for her, as they made for Lime, Cherry and Bloodberry. Of course, we can assume that they made a statue for her in New Texas, but since the new president of New Texas is just another clone of Joy, I very much doubt it (Off-topic: by the way, I wonder if anybody noticed how many Joys changed during the 300 years of their reign? It looks like each Joy loses his president's chair after just a year or few of his reign!).
    To conclude everything I've said about Marine, I would really like it if they would dedicate a single episode (or at least part of an episode) of Saber Marionette J to X to remembering Marine. She isn't my favorite character, far from it, but I think she deserves at least this much.

And finally…

Japoness Hell Gang!

IMHO, the quartet of unlikely gangsters definitely got less attention then they deserved. I know, they are just very minor characters, but they could have at least been given names! And personally, I would like to see them a few more times, possibly in Saber Marionette J to X…

…Hmmm… Perhaps they could even help Cherry a little bit when she was on the run with a baby in Program 08 of Saber Marionette J to X?..

…Well, at least with "Cherry the Detective" chapter of Matt-sama's Saber Marionette J vs M fanfictional story, Japoness Hell Gang got the fan attention they (IMHO) deserve!

Alright, and now a few off-topic comments…

Thank you for the link, Shinryu-san! This website is truly wonderful!

I thought that you have answered this question yourself on your site, didn't you, Luvweaver-san? The stupid monster-fighting animes have Popularity (naturally, among kids and stupid youngsters… Ops!.. Never wanted to offend anybody upon this board who thinks that the stupid monster-fighting animes are great!), and Popularity is God of TV.

But, by the way, I have seen relatively few stupid monster-fighting animes; what I like in animes is that there are some serious feelings and messages hidden in most of them. For example, even generally rather stupid Sorcerer Hunters animated series have a very touching ending, which I just cannot help loving.
    It's a difficult question, for I think that Cherry and Lime will be more or less match for each other in the third round. Lime is capable of gaining greater speed on her iceboard (and not to mention that she has her "Main Heroine's Super-luck!"), but I Cherry's sensors are likely going to give her a huge in finding the way through the maze and searching for items (I hope that I got what they needed to do to win the last round right… :sweat: ). As about Bloodberry, I guess she has the least chance of winning, since she has neither Lime's speed, not Cherry's sensors. And Bloodberry's impressive strength and combat skills aren't likely to be of much use to her in this contest…

Personally, I believe that if we won't take Lime's "Main Heroine's Super-luck!" into consideration, Cherry with her sensors has the best chances of winning the third round of marionettes' contest, but then again, this is just my humble opinion, and besides, I am Cherry's die-hard fan, and so I cannot be completely objectively-minded in this regard… :sweat2: