Debate why is anime so popular?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Hiro, Jun 29, 2004.

1. Hiro

Hiro Active Member

My opinion is that anime is so deep and realistic thatit enthralls people and tosses them into that world making them desire to be in it and interact with the charcters..anyways, what are your opinions and what makes it so darn addicting.

2. Takamatsu_

Takamatsu_ New Member

its not usually as childish as most cartoons, but you can get almost any effect at any budget without it looking all hokey(not that they always DO, but hey) so that the best writer/artist comes out, not the best funded one, like with movies.

3. Nephilim_X

Nephilim_X New Member

Point #1) Anime is not popular. Anime is still very much a niche market in North America.

Point #2) The majority of anime is not realistic. At all.

Point #3) I enjoy the anime I like because the stories are interesting, but I never say that anime as a whole is enthralling and amazing because there is a lot of crap out there.

4. Hiro

Hiro Active Member

the market may not be great but millions of people in the US and around the world loven anime so it is very popular in deed.... :p

5. Nephilim_X

Nephilim_X New Member

"millions". In a world of "billions". Yes.

6. Hiro

Hiro Active Member

there are approximately 1 million people living Mexico city alone
    and the us has a population of approximately 300 million....

7. Izzy

Izzy moo. moo. moo!
    Staff Member

I don't really see the REAL debate in this, but, whatever.

Anyway, niche markets are popular too. I mean, look at the (Toyota) Scion xB, xA, and TSC. You wouldn't think there's a niche for cars more suited to the small streets of japan in the United States (where big and burly is the supposed consensus), but the Scion line is doing extremely well.

Or even, look at "punk rock". It was a relatively small niche in the music world, then blew up. All of a sudden it's mainstream.

And because there are millions of people watching anime, compared to the billions of people in the world doesn't make it any less popular. People have been watching anime since its inception, and the fanbase has grown a bit erratically, but grown nonetheless. Otherwise, we wouldn't be seeing those cable networks, and regular television starting to license and obtain anime.

Of course, it wasn't like years before, where cartoons would entirely flood the hours of 1:30 PM to 6 PM, no matter what channel you're watching. Now, it's more "reality TV" and all that stuff taking the brunt of airtime, but anime is now being streamed through the masses, whether it be Kids WB, Cartoon Network, or Winamp TV.

I'd say it's pretty damned popular.

As for "why" it's popular, I'd say it has something to do with it looking better than a majority of the cartoons out there. There's a definitive story, and an ending to that story. Anime doesn't so much go for realism, in that, they make them appear MORE unrealistic to be able to put more facial expressions on their faces. In that way, it's easier to know what they're feeling, just by looking at how their faces react. There's also something to be said about fanservice making anime popular as well. Because, we all know, Lynn Minmei was hot too! =P

1 person likes this.
  8. Hiro

Hiro Active Member

when isaid realistic i meant the emotions and the way the characters interact with each otherand how their lifes progress....

9. Dilandau

Dilandau Highly Disturbed

Well, when you ask why anime is popular, consider this first: "anime" is an umbrella term for basically any animation from Japan. It's like asking "why are Hollywood movies so popular?" - and the answer is simple. Anime is popular within its niche because it provides an incredible diversity of characters, animation styles, genres, plots, and overall experiences. Individual series may be great, or they may awful, but anime in general has something that will appeal to just about anyone, from children on up.

Of course, it's true that anime generally holds to a higher overall standard of plot and animation than, say, your run-of-the-mill American cartoon. This is part of the appeal, as is the tendency of many anime series not to be of a completely episodic nature - you actually have to watch the series to know what's going on, rather than being able to see the episodes in any order because they're all self-contained stories. (Of course, some anime ARE episodic, but many aren't.)

2 people like this.
  10. me_dreaming_zzz

me_dreaming_zzz ¯\(º_o)/¯

i like the art in the anime, i like the way its drawn. i also like the scripts and music in them. anime is also very colourful, so its no wonder that so many people like it:)

11. Athena

Athena Wisdom comes with Sadness

I completely agree that the interactions are totally hooking and yea i'll admitt that for the longest time i wished i could just somehow become friends with the anime characters i loved so much now I've got a more mature aproach to how i much i like Anime and Manga... i'm now trying to write/draw my own Manga. ^_^

12. Hiro

Hiro Active Member

i have already wrote a book that i am going to make into a manga once i can get it published :sweat2:, so yeah, anime really does have something about it that just hooks ya....

13. Nephilim_X

Nephilim_X New Member

When anime is truly mainstream accepted, not unlike Spiderman (I can go see those movies without being ridiculed), then I will consider it popular. Until then it's still a niche market that only has the barest scraps of acceptance in the mainstream.

14. Nephilim_X

Nephilim_X New Member

...The US has a population of nearly 300 million.
    http://www.census.gov/population/www/

Anyway, as for interactions of characters, it's decent but like I said it's only evident in some anime - there's a lot of crap out there that isn't realistic in any sense at all.

15. Spiggy

Spiggy Freak of Nature

perhaps people watch it to get a break from reality? you know, like a short "go crazy in your head for 30 mins" then back into real life?

i dunno, i personally watch it for the gorgeous artwork :D

16. UFOtaku

UFOtaku Wachu loorkin at?!

I personally DO NOT like anime as a whole. Most of it is backwater JUNK with repeated storylines and fanservice. (I think Neph was trying to say that before?)

I think anime's general popularity is just a fad. It starts with one big hit, and then the people just follow like dumb-struck sheep. Though we're really not at that point yet. Anime has a large following, but nothing near what The Beatles had, for example.

17. Kain

Kain Plaything of Doom

Neph is right on this one. Anime is nt popular. If it was then people would actually know what it is instead of going "huh" every time they hear the word anime.
    That said, i think that it's popularity is starting to increase. I've started seeing a lot more anime programs and other thing's to do with anime is resent time's.
    So i would say that even though it's not popular now there will be more of it in the future.

18. coldzero

coldzero New Member

animation makes a way for good graphic designs and art works that why i like it sometimes. I also like it if it had a good story plot. Anime does sometimes could really be captivating they make the impossible possible? i guess. It like another fantasy world. Animation is quite popular to me. This forum name is manga to anime and most topics and post are about anime and you join is to talk about anime is it not? then why did you join? I know there now other topics off topic related to anime but this forum main point was to talk about anime and communicate with other people. Is anime really popular in Japan?

19. Nephilim_X

Nephilim_X New Member

...You can like something and still say it isn't popular. I love Babylon 5 but that doesn't mean I have to think B5 is an incredibly popular supersensation in every corner of television.

20. Takamatsu_

Takamatsu_ New Member

its like RC car racing. it seems huge, because youre always meeting people who love it, but thats only because you like it, and when you go to anime related things, you see others. youre seeing far more anime-lovers than the general public is.