Debate why is anime so popular?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Hiro, Jun 29, 2004.

1. coldzero

coldzero New Member

now you are thinking as if i was saying anime extremely popular- i said quite popular so yes you don't have to think B5 is an incredibly popular supersensation.

Well i don't meet everyone that likes anime,i do have friends that don't really like it and friends that do. But at least those that dont' like it have a basic understanding of what anime is-japanese cartoon.
    ---Really the title of this thread stops me from saying some things.

2. Athena

Athena Wisdom comes with Sadness

I guess you have to consider your area. I meet alot of people at school who are into Anime and Manga... i haven't been to an all anime/manga event since freshmen yr... and i'm entering senior yr so obviously i'm meeting ppl who ae into this stuff at school and in my neighborhood.

3. Dilandau

Dilandau Highly Disturbed

Let's just say that anime is popular within it's sphere, then. The fact that a network like CN has an all (or mostly) anime line-up during prime hours shows that there are a lot of people who'll watch it. But think about it: CN's entire lineup is basically catering to one group - people who'll watch animation. Anime is becoming increasingly popular within an acceptant cadre of people, but in comparison to the larger population, it's still quite a small phenomenon.

Then again, there are an increasing number of series which mimic the anime style. What this says to me is that companies see a large and still-expanding market.

I'll agree here with Neph and UFOtaku that not all anime is good. To proclaim "I like all anime" is just like saying "I like all American cartoons" - way, way too broad. There IS a lot of anime out there that sucks (I could name at least half a dozen off the top of my head that were absolutely friggin' awful). In my personal opinion, though, the odds of finding something enjoyable that fits the umbrella term "anime" is significantly higher than finding an equally enjoyable series in some other broad category of animation, simply because anime has a tendency to present more mature themes and, often, better animation, music, and plot developments.

4. pris17

pris17 New Member

Animation is popular in its own way. If you think of all the people out there who are into it. We are all into it for our own different reasons. I found anime interesting from the moment i saw it. The animation was cool and different looking. The story lines were fresh and new from the norm of every day television. Not to mention the certain comfort it gives me. It takes me away from reality and into a place so different. Well that might sound stupid to you. But thats how i look at it. :sweat2:

5. AsIaNgUrL

AsIaNgUrL ~*☆Dream AsIaNgUrL☆*~

anime is not popular. people jsut think that it is.. i would say that anime´s popularity rate woould be in the 5% ..yup... not all the worlds pepo knows about it or it they knew it they are not into it at all.. in the place where i lilve its about a approximate num.. the percentage of not know anime is 88%, those in the 88% that finally gets to know about anime only the 12% likes it but doesnt get into it much and the rest will not like it, the resting of 88% would be 12% int hat 12% 7%will like anime but not much, then the 5 % lefting wil be the anime otakus... that is not popuplar at lot..and in many other places it is about the same..only in Japan it is just a LIL more.... but still many japanese dun like anime at all
    anime is not popular that is my point of view
    misao

6. Izzy

Izzy moo. moo. moo!
    Staff Member

By your quote, Misao, 5% of the world's 6 BILLION people is still 3 hundred MILLION people. By that saying ALONE, anime is extremely popular.

And Nephilim, that may be where YOU'RE at, but when "homies" and "punkers" and "preps" and "jocks" come in to my work and ask for "Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex", "Neon Genesis Evangelion: Platinum", "M.O.U.S.E.", "InuYasha"...I'd say that it's out there, and that it's pretty damned popular, by my demographic. Granted, it's not happening where YOU'RE at, but my area is saturated (well, not SATURATED, but there are people) with people who don't bat an eye watching anime. Heck, the person looking for "M.O.U.S.E." looked like you can find him riding an easy rider bicycle in the streets of Compton.

As Dilandau said, depending on where you live, anime is "pop". Hell, "pop" enough for Linkin Park to try and be cool by making an anime music video. Popular enough for AFI to completely spoof Evangelion and Digimon in "Girls not Grey", and enough so that people around my area fingered out the anime in "Malcom in the Middle".

To me, easily, anime is popular.

7. Genghis Khan

Genghis Khan New Member

Manga is like a book where you can actually see exactly what characters look and act like (that makes me sound like an idiot, but I don't know how else to word it :sweat: ). Anime, you can hear their voices, quivering with fear or whatever. I think this way you can relate more with the situation or characters. When your fav character is injured, it's not just written word. You see the blood, hear his (or her) screams. Even when you don't necessarily like the anime, you still get sucked into their world, watching them deal with problems. That appeals to many people. We all have issues to deal with, and avoiding them has become an exact art. Pop in your fav dvd and problems are gone :p .

8. Senko

Senko New Member

Um...well anime is drawn very well and sometimes can be seen as a movie. It's not like one of them regular cartoon you see on tv ;) Manga is also like that. It may be a book but it's drawn in a way that you can view as a movie. :)

9. Kagomee

Kagomee New Member

I agree with you in that also. I think people find it fasinating because, they could somehow relate to the characters. Same with manga. You guys pretty much covered it.

10. AsIaNgUrL

AsIaNgUrL ~*☆Dream AsIaNgUrL☆*~

gomen gomen Izzy kun..i got it wrong.. hehehe.. maybe less than 1% then?? hehe .. well my point is that it is a lil amount.. heheeh.. so yeah
    misao
    o_O i am not good at math or nothing of it so sorry!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! n_n' u_u

11. UFOtaku

UFOtaku Wachu loorkin at?!

Well, a ratio from all the people of the world is pretty unfair, you know. When you count the people in 1st world countries, the percentage is much higher.... but nothing too impressive, I assure you.

12. Hiro

Hiro Active Member

i just want to say that all over this country anime uis popping up.... They have anime at Blockbuster and many other video stores like Suncoast. I have even seen anime in the Library of my School which was a real shock to me. Even though these examples arent much it just shows you how it is growing and if you look at the past many fads were just bursts of people flooding to buy the merchandise in the beginning and then died out, but anime seems to have come out small, then started to increase in popularity which it still is doing now-a-days.... My only point is that it is a rising market and there may be some people who dont think that but it is true, no matter how long you debate it. :)

13. Dilandau

Dilandau Highly Disturbed

That's true. There are many parts of the world where the percentage of people who own a television or computer or are literate is relatively small, so you really can't get an accurate measure for anime's popularity (for the purposes of a discussion like this) from a global statistic. I suppose it would be better to assume that the question is, "Why is anime so popular in countries where it has been presented to mainstream culture?"

And, yes, anime HAS come into the mainstream. I realize that it's a mainstream niche, but hey - I'll bet you that nearly every American with a TV, a radio, or a newspaper subscription has at least heard of Pokémon, and that's something. They may not like it or really know what it is, but the fact that "anime" is starting to be a word you can see on magazines in the grocery store on a daily basis, that there are commercials for anime-related items of some kind on pretty much all the youth-targeting networks...

14. yakamashi

yakamashi New Member

i think that anime is so popular because it takes you to another world and it's just... cool.

15. Hyoga

Hyoga New Member

I think the reason why anime is so popular is because of the drawings and the violence.

16. yakamashi

yakamashi New Member

i agree with hyoga. the violence is just... so real. (not really) and it's just well, really enjoyable.