Recreation Your Historical Figure

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Yossarian, May 29, 2005.

1. Yossarian

Yossarian Yossarian Lives!

i was laying on my living room floor doing history when i thought about who my role models are...

1. Mahatma Gandhi, he devoted his life to peace and brotherhood in order to achieve social and political progress.
    2. Hitler, although he was crazy you've got to admit this guy was briliant.
    3. MLK JR. One of those people who stood up against the odds and helped make a change.

who are yours? and why.

1 person likes this.
  2. sapphire_deity

sapphire_deity New Member

Uh. Mine? *looks up history books* ...Would Mother Teresa count?

3. Yossarian

Sure............

4. sapphire_deity

sapphire_deity New Member

...Ahem. Well, if she doesn't, I think I'll go for Aung San because he fought against corruption and tried.

5. Peachy

Peachy ☆liberal HMod☮

I would think Queen Henotep..dunno if I spelt it right..forgive me everyone
    But she was one of the first Egyptain Queens to ever rise up and rule over
    everyone in belief that she didn't need man..beside her!!

6. Ciel

Ciel Unoa Freak
    Staff Member

What's with the "sure...." for Mother Teresa? How far back did you want us to go? to the 1950's? Mother Teresa is a great role model and made a huge impact on society and the world. I'd say she is one of mine, along with Pope John Paul II. Their virtues of great kindness, courage, standing up for what they believe in, those are just amazing to me, and I hope I can do my best to even be a less than 5% fraction of what they were.

There have been so many great people on this earth to choose from, they all reflect different virtues that we ourselves can reflect upon to better ourselves. NeoNoodle, since you chose Hitler, other than him being brilliant, what other virtues did he hold that you find role-model worthy?

1 person likes this.
  7. Ashika

Ashika This thing is so short...

hitler- like you siad wrong mind but man this guy was brilliant
    dollard LaCourse- this guy saved a whole bunch of kids in canada and i met him once i think hes really brave - unfortunatly he died 50 years ago
    Budda- this guy borught some peaace and created buddism which is an ok religon i have a small figurine of him in my room.
    i hope these will do

8. Zanza

Zanza .Net-ing & PHP-ing~*
    Staff Member

Ciel, I think when she ment by "Sure......." was to fill the 10 characters rule :p

9. Hacker

Hacker ~Richie Rich~

ooooo i pick Helen Keller.

i hope she counts. i love Helen Keller. she was blind and deph still she acomplished so much...and even learned to speak.

10. Seishin

Seishin Guest

Mine is Pope John Paul II. He was a great man that made a difference world. It's as simple as that.

Don't see the following as a virtue, but rather as the jews saw him. He was the only person that kept all of his promises to the jews, be it good or bad....

-Seishin

11. Rokuemon

Rokuemon New Member

Siddhartha the founder of Buddhism
    Charles Darwin
    Robert Heinlein, science fiction writer. I read my 1st Heinlein book when I was 11 and he influenced me a lot, although he was cranky.

I will stick to people who are dead, as the question asks for historical figures.

12. Yossarian

thats exactly why.

1 person likes this.
  13. luvweaver

luvweaver Ad Jesum per Mariam

My history role models

Theresa of Lisieux - innocent and well-intentioned like Lime ^_^, plus a great deal of faith.

JP II - what else to say?

Ignatius of Antioch (you gotta read his works, man)

Hmmmm funny all my role models are catholic. :rolleyes: Wait, Martin Luther King. :D He was NON-catholic.

14. Yossarian

Hitler:

April 30th 1938 the Youth Protection Law was enforced. This meant that children and young mothers could not work under specific circumstances.

German children got to participate in several activities. During summers they could be sent to summer camps to keep a good physical condition and become good citizens.

Hitler improved the Germans lives and women had almost the same rights as men.

Hitler put courage to stop the spread of communism into Europe. In his younger days he also participated in demonstrations to prevent communism spreading in Germany.

The activity of performing operations or experiments on living animals for scientific experiments was stopped.

A housing program was introduced providing all German families an accommodation (maximum of two stories) each with its own garden. (I know but it still sounds good...)

After the First World War the German economy was not doing very well. When Hitler came to power he got Germany out of the Great Depression and gave Germans work.

Hitler created a stable and strong economy. Germany strengthened its economy by looting large amounts of gold which was stored in in neutral countries such as Switzerland. The labour in Germany also brought a strong economy.

An interest free loan program was established where loans up to 1000 DM were paid to newly married couples. The loan was redeemable for a couple at the rate of 1 per cent per month and for each child born the loan was reduced by 25 per cent. Over 900,000 couples took advantage of this.

The Autobahn was built and completed during Hitler’s time in office. The Autobahn is a highway with no speed limit that has allowed goods and people to be transported much quicker.

At first when Hitler took over Germany had a very badly armed army. In a very short time he managed to change that and made one of the strongest military forces in the world. The German army was very successful in wars, this lead to one of the strongest empires in history.

Hitler invested large resources to prevent the usage of tobacco. Step by step smoking started to get banned except in the army. Cancer rates dropped in large numbers. This meant that perhaps thousands of lives were saved from an early death. Compared with other countries Germany had healthy people.

Hitler tried to decrease the consumption of alcohol. In 1940 Operation Tea was introduced, this meant that non-alcoholic drinks like tea were given to workers to stimulate them.

Hitler is known for being a speaker who could get peoples attention. This was probably one of his greater advantages when he was a leader.

Im pretty sure someone will want to argue these, but don't

15. SteamedRice

SteamedRice New Member

Lao Tzu.. The father of Taoism
    Bodhidharma.. The father of Zen Buddhism

16. Warsaw Pact

Warsaw Pact New Member

Well I have so many. Most of which are Japanese Admiral's and Naval Pilots of WWII, Admiral's Yamamoto and Nagumo most of all. And German pilots and Panzer aces of WWII. Others are:

Vladimir Ilyich Lenin

Fidel Castro

Joseph Stalin

Josip Tito

17. That guy!

That guy! Expecting Father

Jesus [​IMG]

Along with Ghandi, Blessed Mother Theresa, JPII, Jane Addams, Mary Richmond, and Jean Vanier.

Mostly religious figures but I have a few famous social workers in there too.

18. yakamashi

yakamashi New Member

musashi.

that guy was just... bloody awesome.

same with other people though.

1 person likes this.
  19. Yossarian

how old are you?

what did he save them from

20. Basher

Basher Mad Writing Skillz

I have a little list. Hehe

Abigail Smith Adams - Wife of John Adams, 2nd President of the United States and mother of John Quincy Adams, 6th President. Known for her letters and opinions on society.

Marian Anderson- First African American to sing leading role with Metropolitan Opera, delegate to U.N.

Susan Brownell Anthony- Napoleon of the women's suffrage movement, mother of the 19th Amendment, abolitionist.

Josephine Baker- African-American international star, civil rights activist, World War II heroine.

Clara Barton- Civil War nurse, founder of the American Red Cross.

Mary Elizabeth Bowser - African-American Union spy in the Confederate White House.

Martha Jane "Calamity Jane" Canary- A lone woman in the wilds of the Rocky Mountain west

Carrie Chapman Catt - Suffragette, founder of the League of Women Voters

Cassie L. Chadwick- Most infamous Cleveland financial con-artist.

Bessie Coleman- First African-American woman to get pilot's license.

Isadora Duncan- Mother of modern dance.

Amelia Earhart- Aviatrix.

Lucretia Rudolph Garfield - Wife of James Garfield, 20th President of the United States was First Lady for six months when her husband was assassinated. "Crete" returned home to Lawnfield in Mentor where her life continued in a non-traditional way.

Emma Goldman - Vilified in her day as the "most dangerous woman in America," this Russian emigrant earned her title, “Queen of the Anarchists” as labor leader, lecturer, writer, women’s rights activist and free love advocate.

Julia Boggs Dent Grant- Wife of Ulysses S. Grant, 18th President of the United States, was a determined woman who despite family objections married the man she loved. Outspoken, she also created her own plans for ending the Civil War and holding a secret Presidential Inauguration.

Fannie Lou Hamer- African-American sharecropper turned civil rights worker and founder of the MS Freedom Democratic Party.
    Florence Harding- Wife of Warren Harding, 29th President of the United States, the first presidential wife able to vote for her husband. Scandal plagued this First Lady throughout her life.

Caroline Lavinia Scott Harrison- Wife of Benjamin Harrison, 23rd President of the United States, was the first president-general of the newly formed DAR. An accomplished watercolorist, she designed and painted the Harrison state china and organized the White House china collection.

Lucy Ware Webb Hayes- Wife of Rutherford B. Hayes, 19th President of the United States, was the first presidential wife to have a college degree. She originated the annual Easter Egg Roll on the White House lawn.

Rear Admiral Grace Hopper, USNR- Computer pioneer and the oldest officer in active duty when she retired in 1986.

Anne Hutchinson– A Puritan woman who defied the male-dominated Massachusetts Bay Colony and after banishment helped settle Rhode Island and New York.

Mahalia Jackson- Extraordinary gospel singer and the first African-American woman to gain national acclaim for gospel music.

Harriet Jacobs- African-American escaped slave, author and abolitionist.

“Mother” Mary Harris Jones- Irish immigrant who lost her family to yellow fever and became the self-proclaimed mother and “hell-raiser” for the downtrodden American laborer, especially children.

Juliette Gordon Low- Founder of the American Girl Scouts.

Biddy Mason- Entrepreneur, one of first African-American women to own land in California.

Susan McKinney- First female African-American doctor in New York State.

Maria Mitchell- Astronomer and professor at Vassar College. First female member of the American Academy of Arts and Sciences.

Louise Nevelson- Russian born New York sculptor famous for her shadow box, wall sculptures and her flamboyant personality.

Annie Oakley- World famous markswoman from Ohio.

Alice Paul- The woman who rescued the woman suffrage movement (1910) and made sure women got the vote.
    Molly Pitcher (Mary Ludwig Hays McCauley)- Born Mary Ludwig, this revolutionary heroine followed the Continental Army for more than 3 years, doing what was needed to free the colonies from the tyranny of England.

Eleanor Anna Roosevelt- Wife of President Franklin D. Roosevelt, first activist First Lady

Wilma Rudolph- African-American Olympic Gold Medalist.

Belle Sherwin- Cleveland suffragist, President of League of Women Voters, social reformer.

Elizabeth Cady Stanton- First president of the National Woman's Suffrage Association.

Belle Starr- Confederate sympathizer and western frontierswoman and outlaw.

Annie Sullivan- Helen Keller's teacher.

Helen Herron Taft- Wife of William H. Taft, 27th President of the United States, always longed to live in the White House. Known for planting Washington D.C.’s legendary cherry trees.

Susie King Taylor- First African-American U.S. Army nurse during the Civil War.

Mary Church Terrell- African-American lecturer, suffragette, civil rights leader.

Harriet Tubman- Underground Railroad conductor, Army scout, African-American suffragette.

Elizabeth Van Lew- Crazy Bet, an abolitionist in the South during the Civil War, who feigned insanity to help free slaves and help the Union Army.

Rosetta Wakeman- Posed as a male to serve in Union Army during Civil War.

Mary Edwards Walker- Prisoner of war during the Civil War, writer, doctor, fashion trend-setter and the only female to receive the Medal of Honor.

Laura Ingalls Wilder- Famed children’s author and “storyteller of the prairie.”

Victoria Woodhull- First woman to run for President, center of a scandal that rocked the nation.

Helen Keller- Defied all odds

That is just the females at some point I'll put up the males.