Manga Ring Project A story fer M2A Manga ring

Discussion in 'Manga and Anime' started by Suzu, Feb 11, 2003.

1. UFOtaku

UFOtaku Wachu loorkin at?!

*Runs in, as usual... late...*
    Well, I'm here!! ^_^ *drops junk everywhere*
    Well... I haven't been working on a story... but I can whip up a good one if you give me two minutes! ^_~

So, we're using BlueCrow's idea, right? We're not getting more suggestions? Or are we still trying to figure that out?

Well, just in case, I dug up some old storyline I wrote a few years ago but never used... and I started off BlueCrow's idea with a paragraph or two... except it's a little different.

Suggestion:
    The ticket thing hadn't been presented at the time I wrote the beggining of mine, instead, I used a plushie: He picked it up in the street because he thought it would be cute for his girlfriend. And it turns out to be a plushie that turns into teh food demon. This serves two purposes:
    1- He has more of a reason to pick it up.
    2- It explains where teh demon came from, and where it's been this whole time. (Trapped in a plushie of DoOm!! OX)

It's just a suggestion, though. If you don't wanna use it, I don't mind. ^_^

2. Blue Crow

Blue Crow New Member

Those are good,but the thing about the food demon being a plushie probably wouldn't work.The demon is more of a ghost that posesses Minato,instead of a physical being.Minato is the only one that can see him or communicate with him.

3. MrPig

MrPig New Member

I have to say, im looking more towards an anime that is...

urm...

basically, something like Love Hina, but without the "love Hina-yness" (if anybody gets that).
    Its got some fantastic character development, a nice story, a consistent plot and can go on for about as long as you wanted it to.

I have to say, the front-most story so far (Blue Crow's) seems to have a pretty limited character base, a pretty random (i can see it shifting a lot) plot and it will be difficult to develop the characters considering to plots shifting by day nature.

There's also the consideration of how much time (strip-wise) is going to be allocated to the daytime, and how much to the nightime antics of the demon-person.
    I personally think it would be wise the spend the first bit *solely* about the kid. Maybe beginning of summer/christmas hold with his friends to get some sort of character evelopment going on there.
    It would'nt really work having him find the ticket in the very first episode, we need to set the scene a bit.

Okay then, first of all, what do you guys want the main character to look like? and where about in Japan/what time of year is it set?
    This way i can get some designs of household/city/weather/character going on in advance :D

4. Tanuki

Tanuki the wizzard of oz

i know i'm not on the writers team and all, but,

i though maybe it would be more interesting if at first Minato isn't aware of the demon that posesess him. that way the demon can be wreaking havoc through him, his girlfriend can be bugging him to find out whats going on, he thinks she's paranoid etc. this could lead to some pretty funny stuff. (maybe):rolleyes: .

5. Suzu

Suzu 7th Seat Shinigami

Story Writers: k0gepAn_LuFF3r, _Teddz_, Nephilim_X, Meaikoh_Takashi, Blue Crow, UFOtaku

Okay BB said she is buzy, but she can help in editing and stuff, and User18 is also buzy.
    We have 4 writers that are willing to start and 2 I haven't heard from.

There is always room for suggestions and ideas, even if we already written the story.
    I'd encourage the whole team to help out the writers! :) IT's okay if you would like to submit an idea.
    Writers please decide who should start writing the first episode, seond, thrid etc. We can help you out with the plot outline, if you want? ^_^
    Editors we need you to be on stand by!

6. Blue Crow

Blue Crow New Member

Well,I don't think that we want a soap opera-esque manga (sort of like Love Hina).Although I am a huge Love Hina fan,the plot we are working with just doesn't fit in with that many characters.And the limited character base is good.We don't want too many characters confusing our readers and drawers(there are what,8 main characters in LH?).Plus we are just starting.There will be lots of time to bring in other characters.And plot is not what I'd call random(LH is more random than anything).It's like Trigun or Cowboy Bebop.Each episode can have an idividual goal,but the backdrop of the entire series will have the same goal(finding the cure for Minato).And we don't have to spend a particular amount of time showing Minato at night.We can just have other characters hint to the destruction he caused.But we should include a scene or two about it.And "the scene" doesn't need long to be set.The average issue of a manga is 14-20 pages(we could always make more).We could have him find the ticket on the last few pages,and have the dream at the very end.It would create the suspense at the end of the issue,and make the reader want to continue.

7. seraphinx

seraphinx Oy, Artista!

Yeah, I had the feeling that majority of the people working on the manga wanted something fairly simple and funny. I'd say the main thing about this is finding ways for people to work together online, not about making a masterpiece manga. Plus I'm sure in the future we could do another manga, then another... this site is bigger and more popular anyway, so by the time this first manga is done, we might have enough members to create a second master team.

I actually haven't offered to help yet. Once I have access to a scanner I might join the mangaka squad.

Storywise, I really do want to see Minato possessed cuz of some weird food. I imagine he looks at the menu, and orders the only food that he could pronounce (which turns out to be the cursed food). The waiter gives a strange look/smirk, then later brings the food...which looks REALLY weird! Minato is all sweating as he nervously tries it. I dunno if it should be nasty-tasting or really sweet--maybe the taste will mysteriously alternate, causing Minato to have facial mood swings: :eek: :) :anger: :) This whole scene could have spooky swirly effects or something. Then later in the day, he feels a lil kicking in his stomach or something freaky like that.

8. UmiRyuuzaki45

UmiRyuuzaki45 New Member

freaky Seraphinx. reminds me of the movie species.

9. UFOtaku

Kicking in his stomach? 0o Yeah... that would be a little alarming... imagine his girlfriend's reaction! Lol, oh... that's good.

I don't think the waiter should smirk though... since it's kinda a nobody-knows-about-this-food-demon-except-the-haunted-boy thing.

...stupid me is confused now... so he eats something wierd and is possesed, right? Then what is the point of the ticket he finds?

10. Suzu

Suzu 7th Seat Shinigami

Suzu interpretation of the ticket:
    The Buffet Ticket is actually an offer to try out the best food in the Chinese restaruant for free for two ppl. And Minato really would like to invite his girlfriend with him, but she's buzy with ....Aerobics/gymnastics practice(could come in handy :sweat:), so he goes alone.

How he gets the curse?
    By bad luck. We should make Minato read the horoscope before he gets the ticket, which makes him angry since it says not to go out anywhere, and should stay at home, not involving in any activity.

Suzu first episode/chapter's thoughts:
    • First lets introduce some kind of wacky legend of the Great Cook Lugata. "idea just poped out of no where lol XD" Lugata and her fiance "enter name here" were supposed to be a happy couple. Except that her fiance loved to create trouble and enjoyed the many pleasure of life that he should not enjoy since he is in a certain stage in life where he should be serious and responsible. Lugata was a patient young woman, so she tried her best cooking to try to wins her Fiance's heart, but it was no use, therefore she grew impatient and decided to get rid of him. She created a wonderful dish that can turn whoever eats it into a spirit or a demon, which must take over the body of any living object. (After her fiance eats the dish he turns into a seed.) She first was going to plant him next to the trees, so that he can take form of a tree, but she heard that the most prettiest Nymphs where the earth nymphs that come out and dance in the forest and she did not wish he fiance to enjoy his new form so she threw him into the nearby sea where he was eaten by the fish.
    • This fish it ends up in the chinese resturant and maybe Minato would like to try some fish dishes. :) {maybe later on in episode two}
    • Minato what type pf student is he? Lacking type? the nerd? normal? etc... Whatever kind of student he must, show a side that he lives a dull life (he just finished his final school exams that he was studying and cramming so much for, he forgot about his girlrirend), and he fears losing his girlfriend since he did not spend with her a lot of time.

These a some ideas, but ofcourse it's up to the writers to select what they are going to put and leave out. :)

11. Tanuki

Tanuki the wizzard of oz

mamoru oshii runs courses in his spare time to help first-timers create anime. in the planning sessions, all the writers go away and write and episode. then they get together and take out the good bits from all of them and put it together.
    just an idea, but maybe this could work????
    (for the 1st ep anyway.)

12. Blue Crow

Blue Crow New Member

Koge is doing a rough draft of the first episode.After she was finished and we made all the improvements,I was going to do the second one.Just so you know.I like that husband is a seed idea,Suzu.But I don't know if it should be in the first episode.I think the first one should deal with Minato.He's a real lazy student,who get's bad grades.And after he eats the fish with the seed in it,the food demon posses him because he is mad at Lugata.Then,she has to help Minato beacause she feels terrible.She never meant for him to posses a human.

13. Suzu

Suzu 7th Seat Shinigami

That's good to hear, please keep up informed and report any problems. We're all here for you!:)

[edit]
    Well this is the updated list of writers that are currently working
    k0gepAn_LuFF3r, Meaikoh_Takashi, Blue Crow, UFOtaku

I've tried to contact Nephilim_X, but he didn't reply so I really don't know.

Number of Pages for a chapter/episode:
    2-3 pages single
    4-5 double spaced
    Is this reasonable?
    [/edit]

14. k0gepan

k0gepan New Member

Minato felt something cold on his face and sat up abruptly. A string of drool ran from his chin to the desk as he did so, and he hastily wiped it off, looking around frantically to make sure no one had seen him. He really needed to get some more sleep. Staying up all hours talking to Satomi on the phone wasn’t doing his biological clock much good. He yawned as he tried to tune in on what the teacher was saying.
    Lately, his class had been concentrating on myths, legends and mythological beasts, Gods, and Goddesses. He was bored silly with it. Minato liked things like science and math. The stuff of legends was just that, legends. How anyone could believe in something that they couldn’t even see was ridiculous, to his way of thinking. Right now, they were talking about some food Goddess named Lugata. Apparently she’d been married to a very promiscuous husband. Finally, after many, many years of frustration of trying to win her husband back, she decided to rid herself of him. Minato sneered. Mythological people always seemed to think they could win back their sex fiend partners. He tuned back in, reluctantly interested.
    Lugata’s predicament was hard to get out of, because in the world of God’s and Goddesses, one didn’t just go divorce another immortal. To get rid of her betraying husband, Lugata decided to do what she did best: cook. She was, after all, the Goddess of Food and Delicious Delights. She cooked up a concoction that would trap her husband in a magical seed. But, she knew she’d have to be careful to keep the seed safe. If it was ever planted anywhere, anywhere at all, he would be set free to rampage on the unsuspecting womenfolk of Earth once again.
    She made him a huge dinner, and to finish it off, she made Doriyaki Cake. Little did he know that this was the Doriyaki Cake of his demise. He turned into the magical seed, and Lugata put it in a jar, and placed it on a shelf in her kitchen. Happily, she cleaned up after dinner and decided to go to bed early that night. She had a lot of things to catch up on in life tomorrow, and from then on, with no husband around.
    What Lugata didn’t know was that one of her husband’s lovers had seen the entire thing, and stole the jar from Lugata’s house. She was running to find a place to plant the seed, when she tripped. The jar fell from her hands, over a conveniently close cliff, and into the sea.
    Minato gave a quiet snort. Typical. He bet that the Lugata chick was probably extremely mad about the whole situation. Anyway, it wasn’t real, so why was he worrying about it?
    The bell rang for dismissal and he grabbed his backpack and started out to find his girlfriend, Satomi. They always walked to and from school together. Home. Where he did nothing. School, where he learned nothing and also did nothing. He sighed as he strode down the halls. Life really was stagnant, as of late. There really wasn’t much he could do about it; he wasn’t interested in any of the activities they offered in our outside of school. He just wasn’t an outgoing person, that’s all there was to it. He lifted his head when he heard his name shouted.
    Satomi barreled down the hallway, knocking the poor person in her way to the floor. She pounced on Minato in a flurry of school uniform and pigtails. She wrapped her legs around his midsection and they both fell in a heap on the floor. Satomi squealed and grabbed onto Minato’s hair.
    “I’m so excited about walking home Minato-saaaaan!” She bounced, causing Minato to gasp for breath. He smiled weakly and affectionately at her.
    “Yeah, but, I can’t walk like this Satomi. Not that I’m complaining but…would you mind getting off me?” She giggled.
    “Oh, I’m so sorry, I just get carried away, you know.” She stuck out a hand when she stood up and helped him to his feet.
    “Are we stopping at that shop we went to a few days ago? I want some pocky!” She dimpled at him. Basically all thought drained from Minato’s head whenever she smiled at him like that, so all he could do was nod mutely. It took 20 minutes longer to get home, by way of the shop she was talking about. Did he really care? No. No he didn’t, not when he had her to look at and listen to.
    They made their way outside, into a sunny afternoon, that promised a clear evening, and a starlit night. Minato looked sideways at Satomi. She was clinging to his arm and bopping along happily beside him, humming. Maybe he could take her out somewhere nice tonight. They hadn’t done anything too exciting recently, and he figured he owed her that at least. Besides, anything was better than the routine he was stuck in now.
    He saw Satomi look at her watch, and she stopped suddenly.
    “What’s the date today?” She asked.
    “Ah… it’s February twenty seventh, why?” He looked at her oddly.
    Satomi squealed and threw her bag on the ground.
    “I have gymnastics today, I totally forgot! I have to go, but I’ll call you later, okay?!” She picked up her bag, and without giving Minato a chance to say anything, took off in the other direction. He sighed. This was a regular occurrence, he should probably be used to it by now. He was already halfway to the shop, so he decided to just keep going.

**********In the Depths of the Sea********************
    He could sense it. His time was coming. A tiny jar rested in a crevice, surrounded by pressing waters, and a blue tinged darkness. It shook slightly, sending bubbles floating up to the surface high above. In this jar was a seed, ordinary in appearance. But looks, as everyone knows, can be deceiving. This seed held a very powerful God, powerful and angry. Foremost on his mind was getting out of his tiny, forced prison and getting revenge on his treacherous wife. He used his powers to beckon the tiny fishing boat above him to his location. The unsuspecting fisher threw his net down, capturing not only what he used to make his living, but the jar as well. As it was being hauled up, however, the lid came loose, and fell off. The seed floated down through the water, and was swallowed by the gaping mouth of a desperate fish. The God bellowed, but was not heard. He cursed his wife a thousand times, and was still not heard. He was insignificant right now, but he vowed, they would all tremble in fear again when he was released.
    The fisher took his catch back, as his day was finished and the waters were stormy that day. The fish traveled their separate ways, were bought and sold at the market. That one particular unfortunate bit of seafood that held the seed still embedded in it’s stomach happened to land in a restaurant, to be chopped and eaten by an unwary customer. Who that customer would be, was left to be decided, but the God had plans for that particular person…

*************The Streets of Tokyo******************

Minato trudged past a row of shops. He’d gone to the other place where Satomi got her pocky, and he’d bought her some. After that he’d just decided to go for a walk, because he didn’t feel like going home to do homework and then nothing. He was feeling a tad hungry. There was a tingle near the base of his neck, and he looked up to see the sign of a restaurant. Drunken Dragon’s Flaming Wok. Well…you can’t say they weren’t creative with names, Minato thought sourly. This seemed as good a place as any to eat. He opened the door, and mouth-watering scents drifted out. Maybe he'd order some Sushi...

yeah, so thoughts? I'm sorry I didn't PM you Meaikoh, I thought maybe everyone should drop in revisions. Oh, and my suggestion for the "seed god" is that he thinks he's tough, and that everyone is scared of him....but he's really just a big baby. ;) Tell me your thoughts, this was my final draft but it can be revised, thanks. Sorry for the long wait, I suck. :)

k0ge

15. UmiRyuuzaki45

UmiRyuuzaki45 New Member

uh...hasn't neph been banned? I'm pretty sure.

1 person likes this.
  16. Meaikoh

Meaikoh See you later, Moderator

That's excellent! One comment though, maybe we could add some more descriptions for the character designers and background people.

I really like the part about how he will get into Minato, because it really explains it.

Hmm, on second thought maybe we don't need more detail because I was able to imagine every scene in my head. Good job, K0ge-chan!

17. UFOtaku

Good Job, Koge! I really don't see much wrong with it. ^^ Are we gonna break it up and translate it to a manga script?

18. Blue Crow

Blue Crow New Member

I believe I already gave Ms. 'Pan my comments.Very nice.Keep it up.;)

19. k0gepan

k0gepan New Member

So what's up with this then guys? Someone wanna split it up, work on character design? I didn't want to put too much character description in Meaikoh, cause I wanted the artists to have more of a free reign with their designs. I just thought Satomi needed pig tails to go with her character. Plus, they're so cute :D Anyway, for the artists, based on how the character acts and stuff, see if you can come up with some designs :) I'd like to see :)

p.s. Where's Suzu, when ya need er?