Debate Abortion

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Blue Crow, Aug 18, 2003.

?

How Do You Feel About Abortion?

1. I'm against it

30 vote(s)
    43.5%
  2. I'm pro-choice

30 vote(s)
    43.5%
  3. I really don't care

9 vote(s)
    13.0%
  1. Mordeth

Mordeth Mordeth Vult!

<Mord wishes to express dismay at your arguement, Exiztone.- Ark>.

and that is quite an accomplishment, if this is the kind of lows this thread has sunk to then I shall take my leave of it and bid you all a merry debate.

<Mord, you know the damned rules, no insults.- Ark>

2. Nephilim_X

Nephilim_X New Member

"Hey Doctor! We got a kid here who'll grow up to be a vegitarian who doesn't smoke or drink! He'll also have a very strong faith in God and Jesus and dedicate his life in Their Name. Should we abort?"
    "Hell no!"
    "Thanks for giving us Hitler."

That Guy, you can't predict what a person will be like just because of what they'll have for an upbringing. Now this does reinforce your point. I'm not saying at all that we could have spared ourself a monster or two with abortion.

I am, however, saying that the Beethoven argument is perhaps a little weak, because for every Beethoven theres been dozens of kids who end up as nothing, or freaks in a circus. The way that argument is stated, it makes it look like abortion robs us of thousands of amazing treasures, when really there is no way of telling.

3. Lady Shadow-san

Lady Shadow-san New Member

I hate to sound cruel, but I woulda aborted the baby to put it out of it's misery before being born.

I'm very much pro-choice. I think, as a woman, if I was pregnant before I was ready to give birth, I would have an abortion. If I was ready to give birth *even though there is a chance I never will, even though I'm fertile* but didn't want to keep the child, I'd give it up for adoption. Not every woman is meant to have children. I'm not one of these women, I can tell you. If the mother, say, was young and either forgot the condom or had an accident (condom broke) and was pregnant, she should be allowed an abortion. However, if the woman is married or living on her own, has a stable income and also had an accident, she should give the baby up for adoption, but abort the baby if she chose to.

I have no problem with anyone's other opinions, but don't yell at me telling me my opinion is "Wrong" or "Evil". There is no right or wrong, and therefore you should not press your opinions on others. (Yes, I am directing this to a certain group of...ah, extremisits...)
    Pressing your opinion means, to me, either yelling at a person and telling them their opinion is wrong, or going out in the street with signs and telling the world your opinion is right because you think so. Let everyone think for themselves.

That's my little rant.

4. Omnidragon

Omnidragon New Member

Here's a scenario: the Almighty United States Of Almighty America accepts, and that by implication means that the world MUST accept, that 2-wk old foetus to be alive and therefore 'human'. The doctor advises the woman that she has cancer, and that an operation needs to be done to save her. But, if she accepts the operation, she will lose the baby.

Coming from an ethical perspective, what do some of our great minds on this forum believe we should do in this case (keeping in mind that the foetus has been legally deemed 'human' and any attempt to kill it could risk the law falling onto the doctor's head, and yes it is possible in this day and age - it's the same as the meteorite argument).

5. Angel of Light

Angel of Light New Member

if they ever pass the law that a 2 week fetus is human then the goverment is more concerned about individual interest than the greater. This planet is already overpopulated and its just getting worse. People who dont have a dime to their name are just having babies after babies just because its part of their religion or its wrong to abbort or they didn't want to put it up for adoption cause they'll feel bad.

Think of if this way, the minute someone even thinks about having an abortion because they think they're not ready or won't be good parents, it's probably true and that someone already screwed that baby over.

6. ~ Zack ~

~ Zack ~ Guest

It's up to the woman and the doctor. Just by mentioning the case, the doctor is digging himself into something so at that point and moment he has already caused some sort of "jeopardy". Though in a court of law if it was decided to press charges against the doctor, it could easily be argued that, using your worded statement, the doctor "was not attempting to 'kill' the fetus, but rather save the mother. The 'death' of the fetus was a negative side-effect". Might not let him get away scott-free, though it could sway a jury or judge into lesser charges. As I said, theoretically, it's up to the doctor and the woman what they want to do, but the doctor already took that first step in opening such a door. So it doesn't really involve the "great minds on this forum" as you so-well put it.

7. Omnidragon

Omnidragon New Member

I spose it's hard to come from an ethical perspective with the law in mind. How do anti-abortion activists feel about the scenario from little more than an ethical perspective?

8. ZakoSoldier

ZakoSoldier Zeon Commander

I was always raised in a family where killing was bad then in CCD (religion school) what abortion and that it was against my religion(Catholism).

9. Nephilim_X

Nephilim_X New Member

Will it actually CURE cancer lady? I need to know that first. Additionally, if she doesnt take the operation, how long does she have? Furthermore, is she married or able to give the child to a legal guardian?

10. AiRRaiD33

AiRRaiD33 New Member

i am so totally against it.
    so my advice to the ladies is BE SMART. only open those legs *coughs* i mean open your hearts :D to a man that you'll love and also love you for the rest of your life. and know when you're ready to have children. the nookie shall come when the time is right.

just remember

Fetus = You!

Have A Nice Day! :D

11. Nephilim_X

Nephilim_X New Member

Why? (not being vindictive here, I'm priming you for debates here, where you need to back up your opinion.)

I agree.

I know this is kinda mean, but that reminds me of the picture of Jesus with his arm around Hitler, giving a thumbs up, with the caption "JESUS LOVES EVERYBODY!"

You too. Welcome to the Killing Fields of the Debate Forum. :)

12. Mad_Hamish

Mad_Hamish New Member

Looking on the last few posts, it seems that a lot of people here are totally against sex with someone you don't love.

Unwanted pregnancies aside, as they can be avioded when caution is used. What about fun? What if you don't want to settle down for a long time, you gonna hold it off?
    If this mostly a religously enforced beleif, a moral one or both?

13. Angel of Light

Angel of Light New Member

Hey, i plan on having fun, but that doesnt mean i'm going to sleep with every man i see in a bar. And I dont really see the point in marriage. Its looks like the same as having a steady boyfriend but with more hassle. (at least thats what i think, never had a boyfriend before so i cant say for sure:p ).

14. Raven

Raven Fuhrer

Where did you that picture. I would really like to see that one.:p.

15. Kos-Mos

Kos-Mos New Member

I myself am fully agianst it. No one has the right to take the life of another, born or unborn. I could understand if you dont want the child. Adoption is always an option.

16. AiRRaiD33

AiRRaiD33 New Member

amen on the above post. :)

17. Nephilim_X

Nephilim_X New Member

*cracks knuckles*

Time to rip apart a couple posts, people.

Thats nice, but theres no universal set of ethics, especially since through simply observing nature, we can see that its a rather bloody world. A lion doesnt have the right to kill an antelope, but its going to anyway. Now I am in no way saying that people should be killing people they don't happen to like, but I am pointing out that you can only push your personal ethics so far.

You still need to reply to my request that you back up your opinion. ;P

18. AiRRaiD33

AiRRaiD33 New Member

sorry for not clarifying ****.

like what prene said, no one has the right to take the life of another, born or unborn.

i mean why end an innocent life for somebody's stupidity? if u don't want the child give the child up for adoption, 'cuz another parent will give that child a beautiful life that he or she deserves.