Saber Marionette Can you believe some people?

Discussion in 'Manga and Anime' started by Reisti Skalchaste, Dec 30, 2004.

1. Reisti Skalchaste

Reisti Skalchaste New Member

I posted a thread about SMJ on another forum. A thread, because they had none. Not a single thread. In fact, before I started there, SMJ was mentioned only a scant FOUR times. Anyway, I've waited five days, and here is my response:

2. luvweaver

luvweaver Ad Jesum per Mariam

You know the saying... "nobody loves what he knows not". Anyway where did you post this, so we can go there and participate? :) (if it's not against the forum rules, of course. Cloudie? :D is it allowed?

3. Nephilim_X

Nephilim_X New Member

Wow. Someone doesn't know about your favourite anime. You have my total and complete sympathies.

( No you don't. :p )

4. Jedimdo

Jedimdo New Member

As for your question, yes, I can believe, although I can't understand as you why these people think that way. However, it's a RPG's board if I am not wrong. What is the big deal anyway?

Here's the link.

5. Reisti Skalchaste

Ugh, I erred. I was in a hurry, as I was about to be booted off, and I didn't read over the post first. Allow me now to add that which I had not the time for.

Title: Shall we enlighten them?

I realize it's not very nice to talk behind their backs, but I was so surprised that it recieved such a small, (and disappointing) reception, that I had to say something. Anyway, is there anything you guys can think of to help me show these poor unfortunates the true greatness of Saber Marionette J?

[EDIT] And, Neph, since I did not have the time to complete my post, I can understand your response. I was surprised, yes, but as you can now read, my intention is to help these people.

6. luvweaver

I think that if you stop thinking like a Cherry fan...

And tell them what the show REALLY is about (i'm too lazy to register :sweat2: ), they might get interested.

like... the show's about not Otaru and his marionettes, but about Lime and her sisters, and how they learn to be more "human", and live these new feelings, and Lime's heart is so pure and naive that you can't help falling in love with her... and Cherry is so romantic and needy of love... and Bloodberry well... we'd need more Bloodberry fans to fill in the gap. See, the problem is that as a Cherry fan, you tend to talk or think too much about Cherry, while the potential Lime or Bloodberry fans are left uninterested.

7. Jedimdo

Jedimdo New Member

Oh, alright. Check again the previous link. I'd do only one thing, I'd explain them again, with more details, how great the serie is. I wouldn't try to change their minds.

I have this friend who 'likes' the series, he has saw it a few times. I know he would say: 'It's nice' (BTW, his favourite is Lime). And also this other friend who does not like it because of the drawings, which, she says, are bad. This matter of taste does not bother me much. Well, I'd try to enlighten them, but after fixing some more important stuff as some stupid president's errors. After that, I'd gladly help you :p

8. BakaMattSu

BakaMattSu ^__^
    Staff Member

It's the unthinkable, but I've encountered this quite a bit over the (5 is it now?) years I've known of SMJ. It was very underrated then, and has actually garnered quite a lot more exposure since, but I still think it has received less acclaim then deserved.

But, meh, to each his own. I wouldn't waste too much energy trying to convert the unconvertible.

But that's the #1 reason I still hang around boards.jp, actually. You'll not find a larger, more active SM forum anywhere else. :p

9. Jedimdo

Jedimdo New Member

I repeated the experiment:
    As you can see, people know it much more here. I don't think we can greatly change them. But, at least, they are going to watch it again!

10. Nephilim_X

Nephilim_X New Member

With our 6 or 7 SMJ posters? :p

11. luvweaver

:( Don't forget the ones who left, and the others who are leaving :'( I miss the old times when Sachiko and Lady Aoi were around...

12. Reisti Skalchaste

Even so, this is the largest SMJ forum I could find, and still the best. Although I lament it's lack of active posters, I think that the smaller community makes it easier to keep up with. I'm trying to recruit some of my friends, but it's not easy. I can't find their phone numbers. :p

Thanks, luvweaver. I posted what you said there, along with a 'I won't argue with your opinion, though I'm saddened that you cannot see SMJ as it truly is.'

We'll see the results soon, I guess. Being calm and understanding has always been well recieved, so...

13. wertitis

wertitis Proud Mary keep on burnin'

Whaagghhhhh

Wow, It's been a little bit since I've last posted anything. Sorry for going MIA, but the ship I'm on is getting ready to deploy, I moved out of my apartment, and my internet access has pretty much been severed to a fraction of what it used to be. I'll try to post whenever I can, but internet is rediculously slow when we're out at sea, not to mention hard to access during 'peak' hours.

ANYWAY... enough of my moaning and groaning.

Ha! He's got a point. BakaMattSu was right when he said that SM has recieved little to no exposure. Most people haven't even heard about it, or have seen very little of it.

Frankly, even I was turned off by the animation style when I first saw it, so it's perfectly understandable.

...And yes, even though no one has (or wants to?) admit it, SM is rather a 'chick anime'. Rather cutesy and the likes. People see anime and they think DBZ, Sailor Moon (the anti-SM), Akira, Ghost in the Shell... All of those (with the exception of anti-SM) are rather packed with action, violence and/or a certain degree of gore. Anti-SM is bright and colorful with energetic characters and a loopy-sort-of romance triangular octagon thing going on. Lo and Behold so does SM (with the exception of the pointless love triangle from hell), so most people are immediately turned off by such. Frankly I wouldn't have watched it, or have given a damn about it, if it wasn't for the pressure of my bud back home.

The nerve of some people? Nah, more like honest ignorance. Or maybe animes like SM just aren't thier thing.

Just let them know it's a great anime and if they're interested they'll watch it. If not, oh well. You can't expect everyone to fall head over heels, right? We're supposed to have fun with this, not harass anyone who hasn't heard of it/doesn't like it.

YES!! I don't mind that at all. It's cool there's other people out there who like the same things I do. I'm just happy I was directed to this place.

?Donde estas Sachiko y Señora Aoi? Anyone have any idea where they went off to?

14. Reisti Skalchaste

Well, yeah, you're right. Anyway, I've given up trying to harangue them into liking it. Here is what I said on the matter:

Along with this before it:

Well, Heaven to one is Hell to another, so...

Donde estan, friend. Plural, not singular. Also, what about the others, that have been gone for a long time? Inuyasha (user), Lime (user), etc.?

15. Jedimdo

Jedimdo New Member

An interesting quote:
    I'd like it to happen more often

I'll give a cookie to the one who figures who posted it, this time made by Cherry!

16. ProtoType

ProtoType New Member

Well, I think a lot of people doesn't know about SMJ. Most of them read about it, that there was a guy surroundet by (marionette)girls. If I would just read about SMJ, maybe I would also think about it, that this is just another "guy-with-many-chicks"-anime... But, lucky me, I've first seen the anime and then I read about it! XD
    I'm in another forum (a big community) and there is SMJ not that famous. Most of the people there doesn't even know it exist! (but I'm spending time to bring the spirit of SMJ to them ;) )
    The people do not want to know more about it, because they hear the story and then they think they know what the anime is about. (But they do not!) And it's very difficult to make them watch it... ^^;
    By now there is a little community there who make SMJ their favourite anime. ^_^V

17. Reisti Skalchaste

As far as I know, Boards.jp really does have the largest number of SMJ fans out of any forum.

As for the other forum I linked to, the RPGClassics Agora, I kinda gave up on getting them to like SMJ. :eek:

This is, what I believe to be, the reason it was so poorly recieved over there.

18. wertitis

wertitis Proud Mary keep on burnin'

[Drunken slur] I love you guys~

Meh, you win some, ya loose some. Keep at it and you may change a few people's minds. Just dont be annoyed when they don't want to hop on our bandwagon. Come and go, different strokes for different folks. Good Luck anyway! And Uhh, welcome to the forum Proto. Always nice to see new faces around here.

Just a little side note about I, I'm sorry I haven't been able to post like before. I'm out at sea doing the whole "War on Terrorism" thing. Fighting a war on terror using terror as a tool (terror code named 'shock and awe'). Seems a little mixed up to me.

ANYWAY

The internet has been hard to come by, so I post when I can. Sorry I can't support (harrass) you guys like before everyday with something new. It'll be a little while before I can get back on regularly like before. >> Hopefully with luck my privalleges wont get revoked between now and Va...

Whew.

With that I wish you all luck, take it easy, take care, and happy watching.

Spread the word Brothahs and Sistahs!
    ~the Indellible Wert.

1 person likes this.
  19. Reisti Skalchaste

Well, for no apparent reason, I joined up at GameFAQs' message board. Man, that's an active one. Anyway, I started a thread bout SMJ, and here's the results so far. In just ONE hour! :eek: I think this place is a bit too active for me. I may not stay...

I must say, I'm liking the way this one's turning out. :D

20. SaberJ2X

SaberJ2X Moderator
    Staff Member

*sigh* active sachiko times...

anyhows...
    SMJ is by far a more complete series than any I have seen, romance/action/comedy/hanagata.... it makes you get glued to the TV to see it again same time next day