Soccer Champions League Thread - Liverpool F.C 2005 Champions

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Teddz, Oct 20, 2004.

1. Teddz

Teddz Sexy Swedish Love ♥

Discuss the latest within the Champions League! Which team will win, how the game went, and which team will do a " greece " and overcome the obsticales?

- Teddz

2. Shen

Shen Indefinately away

It's all too early to say who. When the group stages are over then we can have a look. Though Inter Milan and Chelsea are quite hot so far in this season's competition.

- Shen

1 person likes this.
  3. Teddz

I consider Dinamo Kiev as one of the "greece" teams...They are really strong this year, leading their group. Who knows, they might go a long way.

- Teddz

4. Teddz

Demolition!

That's all I have to say!

Stankovic, Vieri, Van Der Meyde, Adriano, Cruz.

The heros of Inter. 1-5 against Valencia away. Can it get any better? Inter leads the group with a 9 point, 10-2 goal difference. We are "Cruz"ing the way ;)

- Teddz

5. Teddz

Looks like most of the Italians teams are ready for the quarter finals, except for AC Roma, who are last in their group. Inter, Milan and Juventus are all ready for the next stage.

However, Arsenal played a really good game against Rosenborg. Sure, they don't get a tough team, but the play was really stunning. Farbregas, the young spanish midfielder in Arsenal, is probably the most talented player in the entire Premiership.

Well then, let the days roll...

Forza Internazionale!

- Teddz

6. Shen

Shen Indefinately away

Now the English teams.

Chelski suffered their second defeat of the second following a 2-1 defeat from Mourinho's old club Porto. By points, Porto and Chelsea are both through to the next round.

Manchester United play tomorrow and they will no doubt qualify for the next round... they're on the roll at the moment.

Liverpool on the other hand face an important match tomorrow where they must win to ensure they can proceed safely... if they don't, well they will have some trouble keeping players in Janurary.

Arsenal are through as usual.

- Shen

7. Teddz

And the Draw:

1. Real Madrid vs Juventus
    2. Porto vs Inter
    3. Barcelona vs Chelsea
    4. Werder Bremen vs Lyon
    5. Liverpool vs Bayer 04 Leverkusen
    6. PSV Eindhoven vs Monaco
    7. Manchester United vs Milan
    8. Bayern München vs Arsenal

Man Utd against Milan, Jaap Stams wishes came true. Very interesting match between Real and Juventus. Not to mention, Chelski and Barca. Must say Inter got the "easiest" draw...

The Uefa Cup Draw:

1. GAK vs Middlesbrough
    2. Heerenveen vs Newcastle
    3. Basel vs Lille
    4. Parma vs Stuttgart
    5. Sporting vs Feyenoord
    6. Aachen vs Alkmaar
    7. Autria Wien vs Athletic Bilbao
    8. Patrizan vs Dnipro
    9. Valencia vs Steaua
    10. Ajax vs Auxerre
    11. CSKA Moskva vs Benfica
    12. Fenerbahce vs Zaragoza
    13. Panathinaikos vs Sevilla
    14. Shakhtar vs Schalke 04
    15. Olympiakos vs Sochaux
    16. Dynamo Kiev vs Villareal

8. Shen

Shen Indefinately away

We walk into the second leg of the 2nd round of this year's Champions League competition. The scores from the first leg is as follows:

Bayern 3-1 Arsenal - Despite Arsenal's late goal in the away leg I don't really see Aresnal pulling off any sort of stunt to save their year by year unsuccessul challenge in the Champions League... especically with Pires and Henry injured and draws against Southampton (bottom of league) and Sheffield (drew 0-0 but won on pens after ET) which are hardly impresseive.

Liverpool 3-1 Leverkusen - I reckon Liverpool can quite confidently get through to the quarter finals after an impressive dsiplay against Leverkusen. The defeat against Chelsea in the Carling Cup shouldn't have affected their morale too much.

PSV 1-0 Monaco - I really have no clue who will go through here... they're about the same really.. besides I don't know too much about clubs from France or Holland.

Real Madrid 1-0 Juventus - Anouther toughy... I sense extra time happening and Juve grabbing it at the end... Real has been mediocre in recent years.

Barcelona 2-1 Chelsea - Hmmmm, Robben (injured) and Drogba (suspended) really means Chelsea will have to rely on Joe Cole (yet to impress - especially as he is filling in robben's role), Gudjohnson (hasn't scored too many but probably their best striker other than Drogba), Duff (tired) and Kezman (failed to impress since arrivng at the club - though Carling Cup goal might insire him to play better now)... Barcelona... arguely the best team in Europe at the moment against Chelsea... arguely having the best defence in Europe... tough choice. I have no comment on who will go through.

Bremen 0-3 Lyon - No need to say much here. I think Lyon are already through with this scoreline.

Man. United 0-1 Milan - Manchester United are unlucky this year to be drawn against AC so soon and to have Roy Caroll screw up to gift AC that away goal. AC to go to next round.

Porto 1-1 Internazionale - Porto hasn't quite been the Porto who won last season. Inter shouldn't have too big a problem beating them.

What are your thoughts?

- Shen

9. Shen

Shen Indefinately away

Well, my predictions have been precise... even mentioning Real and Juve going to extra time with Juve grabbing it (/me so good :p).

I must say that the Chelsea vs Bareclona match was thrilling, one of the better game in the CL. I thought Chelsea did it when they scored 3 in 20 minutes... but Ronaldinho does his magic to get them on course but eventually losing out on a controversial goal, nonetheless it was a good header by Terry (this guy is immense).

Liverpool have been impressive in the CL this season, I wasn't suprised by them winning by such a big margin.

Arsenal cannot get good if they don't play players... they MUST in the summer. Out of CL 7 years in a row.

Inter vs Porto reschedules to 15th March.

On a factual note, there are no Spanish represensatives in this year's competition... first time in 12 years.

- Shen

10. Teddz

It's pretty amazing that no spanish made it. Spanish football going downwards?

Liverpool advancing is really impressive, I sense a new "porto". But don't forget Lyon, trashed Werder Bremen with 7-2 !!

Inter vs Porto's rescheduling was because of FIFA rules. No team from the same city are allowed to play home matches on the same arena, they should have at least 10-15 days of space (something like that, mind clearing up that for me).

- Teddz

11. Swallow Jinpei

Swallow Jinpei New Member

I reckon Chelsea have it in the bag now, they`ve proved that they`re one of the best teams in Europe by beating Barca.

1 person likes this.
  12. Shen

Shen Indefinately away

I reckon Chelsea, Juventus or AC Milan will win it this year. Despite Lyon's impressive display I don't think they are up to class. They rarely make it this far in the competition... pressure is on. Liverpool have done well to get to Quarters, at most they'll reach semis in my opinion.

But it does kind of depend on what the draw is.

- Shen

13. Teddz

AND WE ARE THROUGH!

Forza Ragazzi! Forza Nerazurri! Forza Internazionale!

After the 1-1 draw against Porto away, the winners of last years CL are out by a 3-1 defeat against Inter at San Siro. Three goals by "Out of form" Adriano sealed the victory.

This friday are the draws for the semi finals!

- Teddz

1 person likes this.
  14. Shen

Shen Indefinately away

Yes, well done Inter. To be honest I didn't see Porto a threat this year. They sold many of their good players + the man who made it possible - José Mourinho. I can't see them pulling off a stunt like they did last year for many years to come. Incidentally, Mourinho fears the 3 Italian clubs who have made it through to the quarter finals, namely strikers Adriano, Crespo, Trezeguet of clubs Inter Milan, AC Milan and Juventus in respective order. We shall see tomorrow when the draw is made

Anyhow, well done Inter!

- Shen

1 person likes this.
  15. Shen

Shen Indefinately away

The draws have been made! They are as follows:

Inter Milan vs AC Milan

Liverpool vs Juventus

Chelsea vs Bayern Munich

Lyon vs PSV

Milan derby! (most feared by Teddz :p), I won't comment further on eventual winners in this draw.

I think Juventus can beat Liverpool. Liverpool have played well but Juventus are frequent CL quarter finalist compared to Liverpool and knows what to expect. I think that bit more of experience will see them through

Chelsea are fairly lucky to get Bayern Munich. Like Real Madrid Bayern are no longer as good as they once were. I think Chelsea will edge past them.

Lyon vs PSV. I think Lyon will make it to semis but will lose it there.

- Shen

1 person likes this.
  16. Teddz

Oh how I loathe the Milano derby. Consider Inter out of the race.

My tip for this seasons winners? Juventus or...sadly, Chelski.

- Teddz

1 person likes this.
  17. Shen

Shen Indefinately away

Leg 1 of the Quarter finals took place yesterady and today. Results are as follows:

Lyon : 1 vs PSV 1
    Malouda 12 Cocu 79

Liverpool : 2 vs Juventus : 1
    Hyypia 10 Cannavaro 63
    Luis Garcia 25

AC Milan : 2 vs Inter Milan : 0
    Stam 45
    Shevchenko 74

Chelsea : 4 vs Bayern Munich : 2
    Lucio 5 og Schweinsteiger 53
    Lampard 59 Ballack 90 (pen)
    Lampard 70
    Drogba 81

Well, all home sides got a win apart from Lyon/PSV, which they might regret for not making it a bigger scoreline

Liverpool gave it their all and was probably unlucky to not have it at 2-0. Goalkeeping error by Scott Carson could prove costly

I know Teddz will be disappointed with the Milan derby but there's always the 2nd leg.. and who knows?

Chelsea's win wasn't much os a suprise, winning with this scoreline again wasn't too suprising.

All to play for in the 2nd leg!

- Shen

18. Teddz

It's just like the last Derby. Inter piled up the pressure, creating several chances from the freekicks, shot by Cruz, but no. Stam's header on the 46th minute cutted Inter from the morale, and Shevchenkos goal made things clear, Inter lost and will lose the second leg.

- Teddz

19. Project191

Project191 Black Wind

hey,

chelsea made good progress at champion league really!! :/

as a chelsea faan saying:

chelsea 1-2 barchlona(Away!!) (barchlona got a chance in scoring when drogba go red card) so 10vs11 get it?

Chelsea 4-2 barchlona( Home) seee what happend ;)

chelsea 4-2 bayren,M (Home) chelsea played very nice :)

Chelsea ?-? Bayren,M (Away) still TBA , but guess chelsea will win

----------------------------------------------

and as u see guyz AC won at inter so, i think Ac will win again also at inter, but then the winner of chelsea and Bayren ,,i guess will play against Ac and i think it will be che Vs Ac. ( VERY STRONG MATCH!!! ) U GOT TO WATCH IT!!
    but i am as chelsea faan think that chelsea will win :rolleyes:

and as here it will be (Juv vs liver) and (Lyon vs ??)
    then --> Juv vs Lyon -----> Juv

Fianlly ----> Juv VS chelsea

CHAMPOIN ---> Chelsea ( yay)

and that's my script, ty ty ty
    ok cya now :)

1 person likes this.
  20. Teddz

Hrm. I doubt Chelski would go all the way, sure they have the players but Bayern are hard to beat at home. I think it would be another "surprise" team this season, Lyon or PSV might all the way. Milan are potential finalists, along with Juventus. I think it would be a final between Milan/Juventus - Bayern. Feels awkard with no spanish teams.

And how will it go tonight? Inter win by 2-0, but Milan are through with away goals.

- Teddz