Saber Marionette Could you ever become to love a machine?

Discussion in 'Manga and Anime' started by kapitanbar, Nov 14, 2002.

1. kapitanbar

kapitanbar Member

This question was launched some months ago on a forum of the Locomotion channel, which broadcasts SM in all of its versions for Latinamerica and Spain. Well, now I'm making the same, here.

I want to read your replies :)

2. Nephilim_X

Nephilim_X New Member

If they loved me back, sure.

Like if they worked the same way as Lime, Cherry and Bloodberry, sure.

But if its just a pretty robot that doesnt act like it has a heart... no.

3. Izzy

Izzy moo. moo. moo!
    Staff Member

I don't know if it's totally equal, but I can love a machine. I love my laptop, and I will love the first car that I ever buy. Seriously. I love 'em. Now, if I can love a machine, just as much as a human? Maybe. That all depends on the advancements technology makes to make machines more human than human...but that's almost playing God, now isn't it? Yeah, if I can find someone like Luchs, I could probably fall for 'er. Now, if she WAS like Luchs, AND a marionette...I probably wouldn't mind too much.

4. BakaMattSu

BakaMattSu ^__^
    Staff Member

I love my computer...:p

It keeps me employed, connected, entertained...and late at night when I'm lonely..errr- scratch that!

But, seriously, if it came down to it, I can't be conclusive. The only sure way to be sure is if it's already happened, and it hasn't.

In conclusion, I think NephX expressed my thoughts almost precisely. With an otome kairo, and a humanoid-type body, I'm sure it'd be possible... but I don't think I could bridge the gap to the love Soemon had with Koyuki. Too one sided. Furthermore, I don't think if something like HAL9000 or the Mesopotamia even loved me, I'd be comfortable returning the feelings.

Interesting. Were there any good responses that stood out on Loco's forums, kaputanbar?

5. Nephilim_X

Nephilim_X New Member

"I'm sorry Matt, but I can't open the airlock. Last time you stumble in at 3 am smelling of cheap booze." ;) LOL

6. kapitanbar

kapitanbar Member

There are, but I wish to let pass some time before posting here any of the replies written there.

7. Lady Aoi

Lady Aoi Princess of Shirataki

Well, I love my Hana.

(For those of you not in the know, Hana is my new lap top's name).

But I would hardly ever take Hana on a date or fall asleep hugging Hana.

Hm...

but if Hana were like one of our fruit salad girls, or Hanagata himself (there's a yummy thought!), I probably would fall in love.

Urh. Not making sense. Test today.

8. That guy!

That guy! Expecting Father

I guess it depends on what type of machine, like if they have human emotions like the SM girls then of course :) I can't say I love my computer though... but it's great for getting me online and talking to people and doing work.

9. luvweaver

luvweaver Ad Jesum per Mariam

I think most answers resume in this: If they're like the SMJ girls, of course. So, what motives would drive us to love a machine?

1) She would be available all the time for us
    2) She would love us

Sadly, we live in a world where people don't care about each other anymore. How many girls are in the world like Lime? That's food for thought for you girls... we guys also feel lonely once in a while, heh?

10. KaMeKaZi

KaMeKaZi Insanity$%#

Huh.. come again??????????

when did the human race ever care about each other.. Me God damn.. the world has been at war since the stone age.. we have been stealing, killing, enslaving since man existed.. When did the Human Race as a mass Ever give a damn... yes there is few who care.. but as a Race we have never cared to much about anything but our own gains..

And sure you can love a robot.. like you love your computer..

KaMe

11. SaberJ2X

SaberJ2X Moderator
    Staff Member

I love my computer cause of 2 things...
    Gave me a Job
    and because of the AIM which made me meet my love

12. Little Washu

Little Washu New Member

It would have to depend on what kind of machine. But yes I think that its possible to love a machine. Especially if you have had it for a long time and gotten attached to it!

~ByE 4 NoW~

~Washu

13. Sachiko

Sachiko happy SMJ shoujo ^_^

If the machine cares for me too or wouldn't hurt me, I could love it. Like luvweaver said, if they were like the fruity salad girls, I'll definitely love it ^_^

14. kapitanbar

kapitanbar Member

I've posted this at the locomotion forum when someone asked about the favourite episode of J to X. I think it'll express more or less my point of view.

WARNING, SOME J TO X SPOILERS!!

Well, Bakamattsu, about the replies this question got in the other forum, they go from the meaning of "soul" through several Love declarations for Lime, the definition of animal, self-aware being, and finally a discussion about if it were possible that someone (human) like Lime could exist in the real world.

Watching more anime films and series, and searching about it throughout the web, I found that the issue of robot with feelings came with anime almost since it began (we have astroboy, for example). But there's also the Ghost in the shell, were this same theme is the main one of the film , and the last film produced by the Ozamu tezuka's studio, "Metropolis".

If a machine is complex enough to be like a human body, has some kind of system that evolves and enables that machine to have, get and transmit feelings, is aware of him/herself, I think that he/she deserves an oportunity.

Maybe this series also teaches that ourselves, right here and now cannot (or at least, try!) treat ourselves like machines, as if all were temporary and disposable.

Remember that real machines doesn't suffer or love.

All the other things, yes, and love means suffer, but also happiness.

and sorry for the loooong post :dizzy2:

1 person likes this.
  15. Sachiko

Sachiko happy SMJ shoujo ^_^

@_@ WoW! That's a really long post you have there, kapitanbar XD! But I agree with all that you said, how you said
    and that goes back to what luvweaver said about how many girls today are like Lime and her pureness.

I have a thought here about being machines and being humans. Well, it seems like from the beginning of J, the three of them are sort of "programmed" or "conditioned" to loving their master - Otaru. But as the series goes on, they've come beyond that and really love from their hearts. So, when they 'mature', they've passed the level of being machines, the level of being "programmed". Sometimes, aren't humans "conditioned" to certain ways, such as love their family and friends? It's not until later on one thinks why s/he really loves a certain person. It's when we mature. Iit's just a little inner concept I thought of ^_^;

16. SaberJ2X

SaberJ2X Moderator
    Staff Member

Sachiko...
    THAT IS SO TRUE

17. kapitanbar

kapitanbar Member

Yes, sometimes humans are "conditioned", "programmed" to do certain things in certain ways. I think that being mature implies something about making your own decisions, being responsible about the consecuences, but also getting out (at least at times) from the "main code" that any outer source (society, family, etc.) imposes on you.
    Of course, along those decisions the love you'll give to someone or someones.

18. Otaru | 182

Otaru | 182 New Member

Hey sup kaptain u remember me right? heeh
    well this little question in the locomotion forum became a real war, and its truly because the ppl who watch sber marionette have really different opinions, in my point of view we can love almost anything as long as u really like it (for example me wit lime) but i really respect ur opinions guys

^^

19. HF Strausser

HF Strausser New Member

yeah, your kinda right 182, but what shall I do, when my girlfriend (Lime) is the one that feels love to me?

20. Otaru | 182

Otaru | 182 New Member

Well see whos right my friend, u c , u can say whatever u want but Lm is mine ^^laterz