Death Note Death Note!

Discussion in 'Manga and Anime' started by Badluck, Feb 24, 2005.

1. Badluck

Badluck New Member

I'm reading a newer manga (form the mangaka of Hikaru no Go),
    titled, Death Note. It's awesome, I love it alot.
    My favorite characters are Raito and L.

2. Kaiyon

Kaiyon Grim Reaper

Havent heard of it. Maybe Ill do a search see if its good.
    Ill take your thread as an undirect recomendation. Heh!

-KaiyonTormentor

3. Keiichi

Keiichi New Member

I have heard about that manga, and all the critics I've found are good so i think I'll give it a try...I think it is about some student and a shinigami or something right? it was what a summary said about it I think :)

4. Chance

Chance Admitted Pokemon Fan.

You didn't give much...Well, much detail as to what it's about....Could you?

5. Seishin

Seishin Guest

Indeed! (Armstrong quote) But seriously, what's the manga about? It's story, characters? Where does it take place?

Maybe if i get it before you post it, i'll write about it before you. Is it TokyoPop?

6. Shadowbard

Shadowbard Black-Winged Angel

Death Note takes place in modern to near-future Japan. The main character is a high-school senior named Yagami Light, and he is dissatisfied with the world. One day he finds a notebook with the words "Death Note" written across the cover. There are instructions in English on the inside for how to use the Death Note. Light thinks it is most likely a hoax, but he decides to test it on a whim when he sees a television report about a hostage situation in a local elementary school.

The Death Note works as the instructions say it will, and the man holding the children hostage dies of a heart attack. Light realizes he holds within his hands the power to change the world, to reshape it the way he thinks it should be. To that end he starts killing infamous criminals. This gets the attention of Interpol, and then stuff starts getting interesting.

As for the origins of the notebook...it belongs to a shinigami named Ruuk/Luke. He had two Death Notes (you're only supposed to have one), so he dropped his spare one just to see what would happen.

There is not a translated version of Death Note available officially, at least not in English. I know it is available in a scanslated format, which is helpful if you don't read Japanese (or don't read it very well). If you can read Japanese, you can buy the manga from stores like Sasuga Books.

Any other questions? Hope this was helpful!

~Shadrach Anki

1 person likes this.
  7. Chance

Chance Admitted Pokemon Fan.

Thanks you Shadowbard. That was a very nice description^^ Now I have an idea as to what it's about...

8. Vatina

Vatina New Member

Wow that sounds interesting. Think I'll check it out

9. Nephiel

Nephiel New Member

I finished reading Death Note up to chapter 58, and I'm still hooked. Give it a try, the plot won't let you down.

10. Kaiyon

Kaiyon Grim Reaper

I tried looking for it. Is is out in the US?

-Kaiyon

11. Suzu

Suzu 7th Seat Shinigami

I don't think it's liecenced yet, you can check the list of scansalators here

12. Ciel

Ciel Unoa Freak
    Staff Member

I love L! He's so kawaii! I just recently got myself a doujin shitajiki of him. Can't wait for it to come ^__^ Raito is a very fascinating individual as well, but I don't like him as much as L.(ok, I despise him)
    Amane Misa is very cute too, and I had no idea she was 20!

13. Kaiyon

Kaiyon Grim Reaper

Thanksies! Aww..too bad..

-Kaiyon

14. Nephiel

Nephiel New Member

Chapter 59 has been released... but Death Note is making a break from JUMP so chapter 60 won't be out until April :(

15. Teddz

Teddz Sexy Swedish Love ♥

Heard that Death note is a really good manga. That "monster" or whatever that is rather scary o_O

- Teddz

16. Zanza

Zanza .Net-ing & PHP-ing~*
    Staff Member

Indeed Teddz.. indeed ;_; When I first opened the image file to start reading it scared the crap out of me >.<

Tooma gave me up to 59, but I just strated to read it. I am at chapter 8. What sucks is that I have a midterm test on tuesday and a project to finish on wednesday and I didn't work on neither T_T This manga is so cool!!

I mean, where did the creator was able to bring all these detective methods and analysis.. I love these things!!

17. Jedimdo

Jedimdo New Member

Death Note is indeed an excellent manga. I can't say that I agree with Raito's method to 'help' the world but I don't want L to catch him either :D.

18. Zanza

Staff Member

I think Raito's killing spree is getting out of hand.. he is smart, but L is smart as well, cute and he works for the good side. Even though Raito is killing bad people, he shouldn't have had killed that detective (the one was after him). He did said that he was clean..

I am not so sure though..

19. Jedimdo

Jedimdo New Member

This manga is making me to think what is really good or evil. Is Raito doing something good for the world erasing bad people? Has he really the right to do it? Should innocent people die for the cause? (ie. the detective)

I'm not sure either...

20. Zanza

Staff Member

You know, he is doing something nice by erasing the bad people from the world, but yet, he doesn't has the right to do so..
    And speaking of the FBI agents, yeah, why did he kill them? They weren't bad, from this part I realized that his situaion is getting out of hand..

Addition, ch19, oh.. my.. God!! *reads more*

1 person likes this.