Debate Do you think Bush was right to invade Iraq?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Dr. Nick Rivera, Jul 7, 2003.

1. Alla Bloom

Alla Bloom New Member

I think that Bush has not lied...I think he mad a mistake though. He is not perfect, nor was any other President. Are you people out there looking for the perfect person to come into office? I'm just curious...how are you guys gonna react if Bush is re-elected? I mean there is a chance he will be...

2. Blue Crow

Blue Crow New Member

This is just turning into a huge argument.Let's face it people.We're not going to see eye to eye on this issue.It's simple as that.Let's just respect each other's opinions.(Although it would be nice to see some evidence to keep this little "discussion" going.:) )

3. Alla Bloom

Alla Bloom New Member

Thank you, Blue Crow! We need to start laying down the facts instead of taking cheap shots at each other!:D

4. Dredz

Dredz Clown With A Frown

You don't consider most of exiz's almost page-long reply <to be> fact?

Ah, we can tell you don't, by the way you ignored the content of most of it.

Rupert Murdoch is in fact Richard Nixon, tbh.

But I'm not going to give any specific sources, if you won't either :)

5. Mad_Hamish

Mad_Hamish New Member

What gets me is that a lot of people on the right with opinions like you seem to take everything the government says, hook, line and sinker.
    Without question you beleive them seemingly for the sake of being patriotic.
    Now I've listened to fanatical liberals blabber on for ages about crap without backing anything up. A lot of them may be full of it. But at least they're asking questions and not taking everything the governments of the world feeds them.

What ever the government's leanings, left or right, they're full of <feces>.

Maybe I sound paranoid or something but don't beleive a word politictians say no matter who they are. If the truth will disturb you, they're not gonna tell you.

6. Alla Bloom

Alla Bloom New Member

I love George Bush i think he is the best thing that ever to happen to this whole world!!!!:D

(have you guys noticed that its fun to tick off Exitone???)

7. Dredz

Dredz Clown With A Frown

Are you actually reading any of the replies here?

8. Billy277

Billy277 New Member

Sorry if this is a bit off-topic, but I just found some recent great Bushisms:

"I'm also not very analytical. You know I don't spend a lot of time thinking about myself, about why I do things."—Aboard Air Force One, June 4, 2003

"We ended the rule of one of history's worst tyrants, and in so doing, we not only freed the American people, we made our own people more secure."—Crawford, Texas, May 3, 2003 (Thanks to Tony Marciniec.)

"I think war is a dangerous place."—Washington, D.C., May 7, 2003

"I recently met with the finance minister of the Palestinian Authority, was very impressed by his grasp of finances."—Washington, D.C., May 29, 2003

God, I love Bushisms. :)

9. Alla Bloom

Alla Bloom New Member

<if you know it's off topic, then start a new thread. - Ark>

10. Blue Crow

Blue Crow New Member

Q: Does anyone know why Radiohead named their latest album "Hail To The Thief"?

A:It's actually about George Bush.The song that plays when the president comes in the room is called "Hail To The Chief"(If you didn't know).This with Bush added.......I think you can make out the rest.:)

11. Omnidragon

Omnidragon New Member

Before the fall of Saddam's regime, I remember a debate on this forum about whether or not 'US should invade Iraq'. Back then, the majority of people stood against the idea, arguing that nothing will be resolved: the war will continue for generations; the war will doom America etc. Now that we are in the aftermath of the siege of Baghdad, it doesn't intrigue me that most of the peace activists have gone into hiding like Saddam.

12. Ark

Ark Praise Judas!

The peace activists seem to just have been replaced with anti-americanism. Which is fine, as long as it's kept intelligent, rather than just 'teh us is teh bad', which is the tone a few people have taken.

- Ark

13. sasuke_aoshi

sasuke_aoshi New Member

It's interesting that this thread is still alive....

1- There is no evidence of any weapons of mass destruction.
    2- We are still waiting for evidence on terrorism links.
    3- Iraqi leader Saddam Hussein was not the only bloody dictator. Turkey has the worst human rights record, and we're still allies with them.
    4- The Iraqi people don't need American "democracy". American democracy does not exist anyway.
    5- Noone has appointed the US to be the police force of the world.

Simply putting, the US has no right whatsoever to invade Saddam Hussein, or any country in the world. I'm personally not American by citizenship, even though I live in the US my parents made made me come). I would be extremely ashamed to be American at times like this, if it was my country's leader killing so many innocent people for no reason. Remember that CLinton killed 500,000 Iraqi INFANTS!!!! Just to make Saddam resign. Well, Saddam didn't resign. I guess the US will have to take the responsibility for those crimes.

As an Arab, I can tell you one thing: An Arab is proud, an Arab is also always a nationalist. An Arab doesn't want to see foreign forces on its soil. That's why there have been so many attacks against Americans in Iraq. And they will probably continue. Also, Americans have made the situation of Iraq WORSE, not better. THere is less electricity, less safety, less everything..

14. Ark

Ark Praise Judas!

That's a generalization, like saying that every American is proud of his/her country, every Canadian says 'Eh' and 'Ruf' and plays hockey, or every Turkibanistanian is a terrorist. All people are individuals, regardless of their origin, and I'm sure there are Arabs who would take offense to your statement.

- Ark

15. Bloodberry

Bloodberry Bloody Berry
    Staff Member

i was an anti-war person in the first thread, and am still one here. i still don't think it was the only way. i will never believe that fighting is the only way. most times it's the only obvious way, if you want an easy way out. i will never believe in patriotism; although, i will still hang flags when i see a reason too. i no longer see a need personally. i hung mine in my car after the twin towers fell, mainly because my family is partly from that area.
    i think bush is a right loony. your pick on which one. they're both the same to me really, only one could speak english that everyone caould understand and had an old burlap sack for a wife. i think that if this damn coutry would look past the end of it's damn nose, we'd see how bad we're making everything. i think america has been getting everything it deserves. the good and the bad, i mean, we aren't the nicest people on earth.
    i know that i wasn't happy with the people i had to choose between on the last presidential election, and i don't believe my vote counts for anything. i also know for a damn fact that i didn't ask for that stupid man to be my president. how do i know? because the guy i would have voted for droppedout of the running, so i didn't vote. i have every right to complain about him.
    i also think, that for either way you look at it, if you're going to say something is common knowledge, post a damn link to the information that is so common. don't just say it's true based on the opinion of some fat guy, or because you live over seas.

16. Omnidragon

Omnidragon New Member

As far as George Bush goes, I don't like him and I still think he looks like a monkey. But that's beside the point. Whether you voted for him or not, you must admit that he has got values Al Gore would never have lived up to if he were elected. Gore, like Clinton, is a diplomat. Diplomacy doesn't always work. This is paralleled by the ongoing Israel-Palestine issue where all of Clinton's talking at Camp David got us nowhere. Yes, there were times when it appeared that both parties would agree on something. But that would all unravel the next day. At least Bush stood up during the 9/11 attack and threatened that nobody will harm America and that he will hunt down the terrorists, not the Arabs, but the perpetrators of atrocities. In the same way, he overthrew the Iraqi regime after weighing up all the economic, social, political implications of his actions.

True, he hasn't found any weapons of mass destructions. But what matters is whether the world, or more importantly, the society in which I live in, is a better place

17. Raven

Raven Fuhrer

I have just finished reading the book Dude, where's my country by Michael Moore and it has converted me. The US had no right to attack them since there was no excuse. They have constantly lied about the war and the propoganda is enourmous.

They are actually causing the people more harm then before. One heartbreaking example is of Razek al-Kazem al-Khafaji, who lost his wife, six children, father, mother and both his brothers in a single attack when the US purposly bombed his restaurant. His exact words were,"God take our revenge on America."

The USA shouldn't have bothered attacking and should have waited for the inspectors to do their jobs. The whole thing is just an oil war.

18. Nephilim_X

Nephilim_X New Member

Michael Moore is not afraid to use lies and propaganda of his own to make his point seem right. There a large number of distortions and outright lies in his film Bowling for Columbine. While I haven't read the book, I'm sure he's not afraid to lie in there too. If you don't believe me, I'd happily provide a link.

And by the way, if you feel the US has caused ever so much strife there, what about Saddams treatment of his own people?

Saddam Hussein's police state ruthlessly eliminated anyone who dared to dissent. Iraq has more forced disappearance cases than any other country -- tens of thousands of people reported missing in the past decade.

(from http://www.idf.il/iraq/english/info14.stm )

Moreover, according to Tariq Aziz (an aide of Saddam) Saddam was obsessed with obtaining banned missile technology and though he didn't have WMDs, he was capable of quickly producing them.

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,102067,00.html
    http://www.wokr13.tv/news/national/story.aspx?content_id=78D6ECE4-7F4A-4576-8189-28902970AB0B
    http://www.timesleader.com/mld/timesleader/7180527.htm?template=contentModules/printstory.jsp
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/middle_east/3238431.stm
    http://www.suntimes.com/output/iraq/cst-nws-isadd04.html

And the war wasn't an oil grab. It would have made far more sense to simply drill 4% of the reserve or lift the embargos, which would have been far less expensive.

Maybe Bush wanted oil, maybe he was afraid of Saddam. But regardless, he deposed a barbaric madman. And don't bother making judgements on whether he's done more good or harm until the situation is fully resolved.

Edit: And just to get it out of the way now, no, I don't like Bush, and no, its not like I wanted war.

19. Type0

Type0 New Member

basically i totally agree with exiztone, the dude is right in every way. America has always supported tyrants if its benefical to them. Example cuba before there was the revolution and turned communist - then there was the bay of the pigs
    :D . Though i am for the war , as sick as that sounds.Basically this war is for oil, and to make money. Ive heard that in next 30-60 years time the worlds oil supply will start to run out, since iraq owns soemthing like 30 percent of the worlds oil, when this time comes iraq will start to have a hell of a lot of power, and probably be able to manipulate and influence other countrys with is economic power, who knows what would happen if there was some nutter tyrant in control of all this. Although i am very anti american id rather see america take control now and hide behind the lie that theve gone to help the irqaqi people and somewhat "staberlise"( i use that word very,very lightly) the situation and live in a more "free" society before oil starts to get limited, than a mass war break out in the future (even though i see that as some what innevertable anyway). To be honest i dont know, the whole world is sooooooooooo messed up!!!:D (btw i know ive written a pile of bs, to many factors to come to any coherant viewpoint :D )