Debate Do you think Bush was right to invade Iraq?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Dr. Nick Rivera, Jul 7, 2003.

1. Nephilim_X

Nephilim_X New Member

Funniest thing I've read all day.:D

The leading country is Saudi Arabia, with 25.3% of the total. Iraq, only second to Saudi Arabia in total world reserves, currently owns approximately 112 billion barrels of oil, which accounts for 9.5% of the world total.

Source: http://www.uwec.edu/grossmzc/solberkr.html

2. Tailki

Tailki New Member

Tailki no like war. The pacifist inside me says, "War's bad!" That's not just with this war though, any war.

3. Type0

Type0 New Member

im sure iraq had a hell of a lot of unminned oil. Either way the war wasnt for the iraqi people.

4. Dr. Nick Rivera

Dr. Nick Rivera New Member

Holy Jebus....this thread still exists....
    I think it was for the Iraqi people and oil. I'm kinda split...I mean, to deny that the U.S. doesn't want the oil is pretty stupid, but I think that things are better off now. Now only U.S. soldiers are dying, not random civilians. Which is bad, because I have friends who have relatives in the armed forces.

5. Baphijmm

Baphijmm Kunlun Knight

Sorry, had to say this (durn OCD). Back 5 or 6 years ago, I know UAE was the second largest reserve of oil, second to Saudi Arabia. That number has either gone down with them or gone up with Iraq. I'm not sure. I do know that I had to do a project on the UAE in seventh grade, and I learned that fact at that time. I cannot remember the source.

6. Zanza

Zanza .Net-ing & PHP-ing~*
    Staff Member

well, USA put Sadam Hussain as a leader fro Iraq in the first place, so it was good that he was aiming to remove him. BUT, it didn't need for a war, they should remove him just like they put him. And the war was also for the oil there.

I am not a good debater, nor a news watcher :p So you can simply ignore this post ^^;

7. Nephilim_X

Nephilim_X New Member

Hee hee, Zanza, I don't think Saddam would have just given up his power.;)

8. Raven

Raven Fuhrer

Another way I see it is that how would you feel if you had lived all you're life in one country and had tons of electricity, water and food and then suddenly you have this foreign nation who say they are going to "Liberate" you. Then your city loses 5,000 people from bombing, shootings by American soliders, suicide, and no water and food. How would you feel. You would hate them. The US has no buisness attacking them. Their are no Al Quida in Iraq. Saddam hates Osama and Osama hates Saddam. There is no connection between the two.

9. Nephilim_X

Nephilim_X New Member

How would you feel if you were religiously oppressed, half of your family had disappeared shortly after voicing their opinion, your leaders sons raped and killed people because they felt like it and it was their hobby, athletes who do not win are tortured (from beatings to amputations), your leader has used poison gas on his own people as well as the enemy...

In Iraq, if you made a joke about President Saddam and it was overheard, the pistol shot to the head would come after you were forced to watch your wife and children raped, tortured, and then murdered ahead of you. Think of how often people have made fun of Bush, and Clinton...

Where were the protests when the Iraqi government executed dozens of women who were accused of prostitution?

Where were the protests when the Iraqi government reportedly tortured to death the mother of three Iraqi defectors as punishment for her children's opposition activities?

Where were the protests when Iraqi security agents decapitated numerous men and women in front of their families and then displayed the victim's heads in front of their homes for days?

Where were the protests on July 17, 2000 when a person had his tongue amputated in front of a large crowd for criticizing Saddam Hussein?

But then I don't know, Raven. Perhaps you're just fine with these atrocities as long as you are content.

10. Raven

Raven Fuhrer

Listen I also hate Saddam he is an evil evil person. I am not supporting him and neither am I supporting Bush. I am simply saying that Bush would probably never have attacked Iraq unless 9/11 had happened. Don't get me wrong I hate Saddam and his sons. They are all monsters.

But do you see America going to Africa and taking out all of their dictators? These country's where probably around 90% of all their money goes to the military. These people who let their people starve and die and make children as young as 5 years old fight in wars. NO.

I really don't mean to insult anyone but the only reason the war in Iraq is happening is because of the oil. The US has a history of screwing up and doing the wrong thing. They have probably taken out more democratically elected leaders then dictators. Also who gave Iraq all those chemical weapons in the first place. America has helped keep Saddam and his regiem in power. Not take him out.

I do agree that Saddam shouldn't be in power though.

11. Zelgadis

Zelgadis New Member

Tyrants have existed throughout history, as if this one is any more vicious than any before him. Using atrocities doesn't make this any more of a reason to invade and overthrow him, which isn't our business to do. You can argue that if we didn't he would have used terrorism, but I think that with his position it was not in his best interest nor concern to involve himself in that business. Sure you could argue all kinds of ****, but I believe that if he was logical, maybe insane but still logical, than he would have long realized that he got lucky in 1991 and that further incitement of the world would not be in his interest.

12. Nephilim_X

Nephilim_X New Member

It was going to happen eventually. Don't kid yourself.

Never said they were or that it was their actual reason for war. Rather its my reason for supporting the war.

And now was the time to stop that mistake from continuing.

So?

"It's ok guys, he's only slaughtering his own people. Let him be."

That's a disgusting, immoral and awful thing to say, Zelgadis. Whether you realize it or not, that's basically what you're saying.

Hey! Know what else that means? You're the sort of person who would have wanted to leave Hitler alone in World War 2 if he didn't touch you! Yeah, nuts to the civilian Jews he's slaughtering! To heck with the civilians of other countries he's butchering! It's none of our business, they aren't our people!!!

:rolleyes:

13. Zanza

Zanza .Net-ing & PHP-ing~*
    Staff Member

well, d'oh!! :p

I mean, Saddam had run away now, didn't he? Why are they still there??

14. Nephilim_X

Nephilim_X New Member

To calm any rioting and install a new stable government so the country doesn't tear itself apart in years of civil war...

Also so Saddam doesn't bother going back.

15. Billy277

Billy277 New Member

That's a good question, and rather than starting up a whole new thread we should hash it up here. We've gone over all the reasons the US should or shouldn't have invaded Iraq. But the US, as some predicted, has been having some problems controlling Iraq. The people weren't particularly grateful to the American troops, guerilla warfare is starting to pick up and more American soldiers are starting to die. Has any of that changed anyone's mind on the whole situation?

While I opposed the war to a huge extent, I think that we simply have to stay there until things get in order, no matter how many American troops die in the process. Bush made a promise to the Iraqi people, and to abandon them now (As some of my fellow liberals want) would be the worst thing he's ever done. He's stuck between a rock and a hard place, but he put himself there.