Cosplay and Conventions Have you ever been to an Anime Convention?

Discussion in 'Manga and Anime' started by Vash - T.S., Nov 8, 2002.

?

Have you ever been to an anime convention?

1. Yes.

24 vote(s)
    28.9%
  2. No.

38 vote(s)
    45.8%
  3. Yes, I cosplayed.

21 vote(s)
    25.3%
  1. nomad-alpha

nomad-alpha New Member

i went to a D&D paper based con... its was on a college campus and everyone was there including cos players its was the coolest there were a bunch more than expected and planned.... next time well raise funds to have a mega gamers/cosplayer/D&D/other paper based con... its gonna be soooo sweet...

2. sylverdragonfly

sylverdragonfly New Member

There's one I go to every year that's about an hour away from where I live. Animazement, it happens the last weekend of May and it's become tradition. I've never cosplayed though, I like looking at the pretty outfits (I have no skills in the art of clothing design and I'm all thumbs with needles ^^;)

3. Leonof

Leonof New Member

Awesome, I'm from Ft. Worth too.

I've been to A-kon 15 and Animefest-2004. In both of those I cosplayed as Wolfwood from Trigun.

http://www.skypirate.net/cosplay/images/af2004sm/040905_104.htm There's a picture from me at Animefest. The sad thing is the Cross is actually taller than me.

4. Cylor

Cylor New Member

I went to Otakon in '99, and SakuraCon in 2000.

Both trips were... quite memorable. On the positive side I got to meet Adam Warren at Otakon, and hang out with a couple of friends who also happened to be guests at each con, due to their voiceover work for a certain company based out of Houston, TX.

On the negative side, the temperatures in Baltimore during Otakon were quite unbearable and there were far, far too many MALE Sailor Moon junkies engaged in feverish cosplay.

(Damn, there is no smilie for nausea here. :D )

As for SakuraCon... well, let's just say I'm lucky to have made it home in one piece, and leave it at that. Shall we?

Anyway, I haven't been to a con since, nor have I had any really strong desire to attend one.

Edit: Ouch, just realized how old this thread is... sorry for digging up the past. :shy:

5. Baphijmm

Baphijmm Kunlun Knight

Naw, it's not that old; don't feel too bad about it. Besides, that's what it's here for. :D

6. Fujimiya Aya

Fujimiya Aya New Member

I went to ACEN last weekend. It was my first con ever. The Pillows were there in concert so it really rocked. They were really, really awesome ^__________^

7. BSaphire

BSaphire New Member

Hi there everyone ^^)

Well I figured that my first post in this forum should really be cosplay related and conventions will definately work.

Here is a list of the conventions I have been to (located in California):
    Fanime 04 (San Jose)
    Tales of Anime (San Fransico)
    AniMagic (was located in Valencia this year)
    Yaoi Con (San Fransico)

San Jose Comic, Toy, and Anime Fair (represented by Youko_Kurama)
    Anime Overdose (San Fransico)
    Sacramento Comic, Toy, and Anime Fair's 1, 2, & 3
    Fanime 05
    AX05 (represented by Youko_Kurama)

2005 upcoming Cons I plan to attend:
    Sacramento Comic, Toy, and Anime Fair #4 (September 4th)
    ?PMX (Long Beach September)
    ?AniMagic (Lancaster October 1-3)
    Metreon (San Fransico October 8th)
    Yaoi Con (San Fransico October 28-30th)
    Japan Town Anime Fair (December)

So that's just a bit about me and conventions. If you want to know more then email or YIM me ^^)

8. Seishin

Seishin Guest

I only went to MegaCon and JaCon this year (Roy Mustang's voice was at JaCon! Yay! Also the Red Vs Blue guys!)

MegaCon kinda blewed, and JaCon was allright, just the fact that it was in a hotel.

Anyways, i'm planning on going to those, and some other conventions next year, when i finally get my Obi-Wan Kenobi costume, or State Alchemist, whichever's cheaper :p.

Too bad that I missed Anime Festival Orlando, but the entrance was like $35, and it was in the middle of nowhere :sad:

Oh well! Looking forward for whatever's next!

-Seishin

9. Reisti Skalchaste

Reisti Skalchaste New Member

I just got back from Animethon. It was a lot quieter than Anime North. I met up with a bunch of my friends from high school. I only spent a little bit of money this time; I kept myself on a pretty tight budget. I did sit in on a showing of Sorceror Hunters. Saw the first four episodes, and I might need to look into getting it. :)

'Twas fun, anyway. More so than last year.

10. Badluck

Badluck New Member

Update:
    I've been to three ^_^
    AX '04 & '05 and Fanime '05
    I hope to go to AX '06 and '07
    I haven't decided if I want to go back to Fanime yet.

11. SoraStrife

SoraStrife New Member

I haven't been to a anime convention before, but I had a chance to go in my school last year but I had other things to do...damn, and I still regret why not going...my friends told me that there were awesome freaken chacaters and very hot guys especailly asains! I hope someday I will go and just with my friends and I...speaking of that..thanks for reminding me...I need to set a conference with them and check out what the next anime convention is..I hope We get to go next year for sure! and for those of you that are my buddies and your far away...no need to worry..I will pay for your ticket...^_^

12. Fushigi Rockna

awwwwwww.... :(I'm sawry~ :( *hug*

I just went to my first convention on Saturday, Animeathon 2005! I went there with my friend Justin, and at first, I was really shy, and a little timid, because I didn't know where the FMA showroom was (that was where I was gonna meet Justin) and i had to get lsot before I could actually find him. But once i found him it was great. XD we didn't stick around to watch FMA because the line up was so long and the little crackhead just bought the freakin' dvd! >.< So we like roamed around everywhere (he knew the place like the back of his hand) bought some crap and took the worse pictures possible of cosplayers! Damn his camera! We should've checked them before we walked off with the pics!
    Over all, despite the crappy pictures, I had fun, god, Justin and i were like...giggling and laughing so much people must've sworn we were on crack. XD
    Defiantely going back next year. Gonna go cosplaying! w00t!

Hey, Shin, next year, if I walk around screaming "MARCO!" will you reply and like, try to follow my voice? XD That would make looking for me more fun right? XD

13. Reisti Skalchaste

Reisti Skalchaste New Member

Sure. :D

Too bad I had to work on Saturday, though. The fates seem to be conspiring against me, lately...

14. Fushigi Rockna

XD heh heh, yeah, and I was looking pretty hot too. ;) Poor you. XD

Oh I forgot to mention I'm actually working on some comics on my Animeathon experience "FR at Anime-a-thon" because there actually were some pretty comical moments, what with me and Justin being retards and all XD Maybe I'll show ';em when I get the chance to scan them. ~_^

15. BSaphire

BSaphire New Member

My assistant/daughter (youko_kurama on cosplay.com forums) Shot pictures for me at AX05. I had work to do and couldn't go along, so next year I am planning on going for sure.

You aren't sure if you are going back to Fanime 06? If you don't mind my asking, is there a reason why? Just curious mostly. Fanime 05 was one of the main topics at a dinner with fellow cosplayers recently. I was just wondering if any of the subtopics were part of your questioning of going next year?

Did you cosplay at Fan05 or AX05? If so, who as?

16. Basher

Basher Mad Writing Skillz

I have yet to go to one. :( But I hope to at some point.

17. Badluck

Badluck New Member

I might not have enough money for both AX and Fanime.
    If thats the chase, I'll go to AX. I litte AX alittle bit better.
    But I'll try to go to both of them. Please don't miss understand, I like Fanime.
    Even though It's smaller then AX, it's not overly huge like AX,
    no 3-4 hour registration line, a better/bigger dance, more fanbased feel to it, and more local/starting artist. But because AX is huge, there is alot more to do/see, their working on a faster registration line system for next year,
    and alot of great Japanese guest to meet. In '04 and '05 I met my favorite seiyuu (voice actor),Tomokazu Seki. Plus it's going to be AX's 15th Anniversary, so their most likely going to plan something big. ^ ^
    Also the area is other reason I'll go to AX.
    I like San Jose but there is alot more to see and do in Anaheim.

As for cosplay...the anwser is yes.
    Both cons, I cosplayed as Fujino Shizuru from Mai Hime.
    She one of my most favorite female anime character.

18. KaYasha

KaYasha I'm Boelak Yrubron

I have never been to one, though I would really like to go... I am planning on going to one next year. *crosses fingers* I have really never looked for any around here... I kinnda doubt there would be any in my state though.

19. BSaphire

BSaphire New Member

There has got to be something that happens in your state... or near by... lets see

Aww.. you missed KuniCon
    Mar 4-6, 2005

Gen Con Indy
    Aug 18-21, 2005
    Location: Indianapolis Convention Center, Indianapolis, Indiana

Anime Iowa 2005
    Sep 9-11, 2005

Those are a couple of the listed ones. Now you may try some of the college campuses and see if they have an anime group. Maybe even a high school or two. That might help. Also see about forming a group around in your area. You'd be surprised how often there is half a dozen or so people who are into anime, manga, and games. From there they may know one or two.

Groups sometimes hold anime faires, picnics, campouts, beach partys, tea parties (gothic lolita style *giggle) and even just anime viewing events of sorts. Those things help time to pass till the next big con.

Hope that helps ^^)

Tell me more about Mai Hime. I haven't heard of it before. Of course the last time I said that to someone I ended up watching all of Gungrave *LOL

But that's ok, I am looking for a new series ^^)

Currently I am playing Devil May Cry (PS2) and I am working on Izumi & Sigu Curtis (Full Metal Alchemist) costumes. I need to finish my Kuronue first though. I plan on also doing Integral (Hellsing). I need to have all four done before Halloween because three are for me to cosplay as at Yaoi Con (when I'm not taking the pics *giggle)

20. Orion

Orion Gears

Nope, never been to one, but hopefully one of these year's I will! :)

-Ian